Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.....just curious if anyone has driven one of these corvette's, looked at one today that is basically brand new in every way w/40,000 miles--stunning condition -- guy wouldn't let it out of the garage for a rally,,,roads were Gunked ! don't blame him, his house was amazing 5 car garage w/storage hoist,,,,,pulled his real estate spec sheet - 2.2M...EEEK <--can't imagine needing to sell something like that these day's

Engine Size: LT-1 300hp
Curb Weight, lbs. 3298

Bitch to get into the rig, once your in it feels like you are wearing the car...::

·
Registered
411 Posts
Nice. I had the privileged of driving a mersadies benz slk 550 that car was amazing. They key looked like a flash drive and as long as the key was in the car you could start it. the key did not have to be in the ignition and the push button start was located on the shifter where our 1-r diagram is. Not sure of the stats of the car but that car was damn powerful.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Although I have never owned an LT1 Corvette (I do own a C4, but it has the L98 motor), I have spent alot of seat time behind the wheel of many, as I know alot of people that have owned them.

They are a lot of fun, especially with the 6-speed (although CAGS - the 1 to 4 skip shift can be annoying, but is easily disabled from what I hear). The LT1 is a pretty decent motor. 300 hp, power is pretty good. And you'll love the torque from the V8! Read up on OptiSpark distributor though. It can be troublesome. Don't let it get wet! And replacing the OptiSpark can be expensive. '96 model C4s (last year for this generation) had fixes for OptiSpark, so they were less problematic.

C4s in general are a great bang for the buck. I'm on my second one. Like you said, getting in & out can be a bear. And the older you get, the worse it gets. But once in, you become a part of the car! Just sitting in a C4 Corvette is fun.

Toss in things like it has a targa roof, the rumble of a SBC, and handles like its on rails, and you have a lot going for you. Prices for C4 Corvettes are really low these days, so make sure you get a deal.

Chris
----------
1986 Toyota Supra MKII
1987 Toyota MR2 T-top/5-speed
1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am #760 (1818 miles)
1988 Chevrolet Corvette 35th Anniversary #1941/2050
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT 5-speed
1983 Delorean DMC-12
1985 Kawasaki Eliminator ZL900

·
Super Moderator
8,572 Posts
It's well worth the money to buy a C5 or C6 over a C4. You can buy really clean C5Zs in the high teens now. The C5Z is a blast to drive if you can tolerate the interior. The C5 is light years ahead of the C4s.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
engine is no hell, Interior bother the SHIT out of me.

jack the car up at one corner and watch the rear glass explode from the chassis flex.

C5 is miles ahead, and still way behind the times compared to the imports. C6 on the other hand...very nice! but $$$

C5 Z06 would be a fun car too

door handles look like they belong on a fridge

nice fit and finish here... lol

no doubt if you spend some time on them they can be fast, as I have seen at many an autocross and probably pretty fun to drive. I just think the C5 is miles ahead for a small price increase. Even so, the C5 was still behind the times as far as quality goes.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info::....
Drove it today, once in the car, it is very comfortable....Noisy tranny rolling through the wet snowy roads in his neighborhood in 1st gear (normal for these cars) guy was very picky with how I drove his car, telling me to shift at 3.5K..:ugh:..went through a few gears into 3rd, punched it through a round a bout, car handles awesome, very stiff and solid feeling,,,,nothing like MK1V standards though,,,,I drove my MK1V over to check it out, heaps of torque when taking off from a light. The traction control on off button was pretty cool and works great, switch it off and feel the diff immediately. awesome car in stock form....seems like tons of bang for the buck.

Got home and fired up the mighty 832JZGTE for shits and giggles.......smooth power out of the twin's, you really don't realize how hard it pulls until you drive something else for a while, car is just a blast in comparison to anything I drove today...also drove the carrear4, 95 celica GT (wife's car) just wish i could toss some money at it for handling....oh, and make the seat belt thingies stop rattling.:zzzzz: drives me crazy.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
no but I've driven an 86 350 corvette and I liked it. The handing is amazing, obviously because it was named best handling car of the year in 1986. The 350 has balls but its nothing compared to that LT1.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
You shouldn't mod a car that cherry...

The C4s will go unloved in the future, like most of the C3s after '74.

·
Founding Member
6,525 Posts
You shouldn't mod a car that cherry...

The C4s will go unloved in the future, like most of the C3s after '74.
Yea, but its still a Corvette and will be far more collectible than anything Toyota sold in the U.S. the last 30 years. C5s right now are quite a bargain tho. One thing about the Corvette community is that as soon as a new one comes out, 80% of owners will trade in their old one regardless the loss in order to have the latest and greatest. You have to wait until they are old enough to retire before they'll want that C4 back for nostalgia and willing to pay a mint. In the meantime there are those of us who want a Corvette just because its a Corvette but can't afford to buy the current model or even the last model. I never really cared for the looks of the c4 or the c5 for that matter but I wouldn't mind having one to drive.

My favorite Corvette of all time still remains my 69 Stingray. Best looking Corvette ever made that one year! I still like all the c3s even with the urethane bumpers. There's actually very few people who care that c3s didn't come from the factory with much hp. Its still a chevy 350 and you can make insane power relatively cheap right out of the Summit catalog today as you could back in the day. The only reason c3s are still fairly inexpensive and likely to remain so is because there's so damn many of them compared to c1s and c2s. C3s were the first Corvette to be built on an automated moving assembly line and production shot up dramatically through the 70s to keep up with demand which actually was growing by leaps and bounds. 74 really only spelled the end of the 454 engine and 75 the end of the convertible. Unfortunate that government regs preceded the technology to accomplish its goals, but the fact remains that Chevy continued to sell more Corvettes each year even after rubber bumpers and unleaded fuel. They were incredibly popular. Sorry for going off on such a tangent, but had to put in a plug for my baby and all its younger siblings.

·
Registered
256 Posts
LT1's ARE good engines....except when the Optispark craps out in the McDonald's parking lot.

But seriously, they are solid in terms of performance. My buddy's '94 Z28 with something around 150K miles still turns as-new 1/4 mile times and mph.

I recall a virtually stock LT1 C4 running consistent mid-13s when I was running my 240Z/350ci SBC at the strip in the mid 90s.

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
Yea, but its still a Corvette and will be far more collectible than anything Toyota sold in the U.S. the last 30 years. .
Only the ZR1 will likely be more collectible than a Mk4.

Nice find Celsup. Seriously, how many cars do you own???

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
16....and...and....15 after this morning, our westy went away today...sad sad watching it drive down the road, lots of fun in that thing.

we are really (were really, SNOW) enjoying the 92 Vette...fun driving car, great looking car...love it !! wife wants a new one now !!! JK, we only have used beaters. Can't imagine ever buying a new car !!

Only the ZR1 will likely be more collectible than a Mk4.

Nice find Celsup. Seriously, how many cars do you own???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts