Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like all MK2s don't have working cruise control (or maybe I'm just readin things differently). But I was wondering if there was a common problem that cause CC not to work. Is it just old vacuum lines that need to be replaced?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
my cruise works most of the time, i'm sure its a vacumn line issue with mine or bad connections but a lot of the time it works and one time i was driving and it just quit...lol it was quite funny but it works 90% of the time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i know one problem is that if the brake fluid isnt filled up all the way it wont engage because it thinks it is unsafe

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hmm

Mine works everytime. Never had a problem.
But does other peoples ones reset when you stop? So that you cant resume your speed again, and have to re-set the speed?

·
Registered
109 Posts
the cruise control disengages if you press either the brake or the clutch so that it isnt trying to go faster while your trying to slow down

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yep

Yeah, I got that much, but is it meant to reset itself so that when you turn the knob to resume that it wont accelerate to that speed. I.e, when I dont come to a complete stop, but just break, or change gear.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Zzzzzzzzzzzzz............

To answer a few questions.....

I believe there is one fuse in there somewhere that controls the Cruise system??? Check the fuse....

For you 82 - 83 owners who still have the 85mph speedometer.... If you keep insisting on pegging the speedo at 85 mph, this is a GREAT way to kill the speedometer sensor that is behind the instrument cluster. If you kill the speedo sensor, then your cruise stops working, because it can't get a signal from the speedo sensor... Solution..... A. Don't plan on going faster than 84 mph (not 85) for any length of time. B. Switch over to the 130 mph speedo cluster.... No more broken speedo sensor, because of a pegged needle. :shock: :shocked!: :shock:

Cruise speed memory..... Unless you're one of those that does not have a owners manual..... The owners manual DOES clearly state that if the speedo drops below 25mph, the cruise system does drop memory & you will have to reset it.... This is a safety feature, something that I wish GM vehicles had, but don't.... Example.... 11 years ago, I was in Florida on vacation & a bunch of us rented a Chev Illumina Van.... Was leaving a toll booth & from a 5mph roll, I decided to test out this theory that the GM's retain speed memory, so I pressed "Resume"..... From a 5mph roll, the cruise engaged, the gas pedal went to the floor, downshifted to 1st & proceeded to accelerate to 65 mph.... 3 seconds later at 30 mph, I tapped the brake pedal & was glad that nobody was driving slow in front of me....

So yes, this IS a safety feature & there is a reason why the Toyota cruise works like this.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hehe, thanks

Yeah, I dont have a manual, just the car. Thanks for all that, it makes sense now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My cruise control on my '86 (85.5) was hit and miss until I replaced all my grounds. It works all the time now. I just did the engine bay grounds, but will eventually run one from the bay to the computer, so it isn’t relying on the chassis ground. The stock grounds are of a small ga. to the chassis. I used a large ga. cable from my local stereo shop.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine has not worked for awhile. I have tried many of the suggested fixes.
I have the correct level of brake fluid, vacuum seems good and I checked the throttle linkages. I have changed the cruise computer, i.e., passenger kick panel green box (with a pick-your-part replacement). Still no-go.
I am going to swap the 'speed control actuator' next (also a u-pull, I noticed that the '82 & '83s are different from the later year's). I have also picked up a replacement switch. This bug has been a PITA, but the cruise falls into the 'nice to have' versus 'need to have' column. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts