Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These should be a direct swap, look to be fairly low key looking vs the truck-lites i'm running that look like some anime stuff.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/LMOH6054NVLEDN

I had one of my truck-lites go out recently and I'm outside of warranty, tempted to try something new. I let em know I'm at well under the rated hours, and that it is in perfect shape, and that it's just the low beam portion that went out, they seemed uninterested. Customer service offered no discount program or anything like that, so i'm expected to just buy a fresh one and hope it goes out in the first 3 years I guess? I definitely enjoyed them and got my moneys worth, but why not try something new for less money and see if they're decent? The truck lites have come down in price quite a bit it seems though.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I use the GE nighthawk LED housings and am happy with them.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Dang Gamble, you payed paid a pretty penny for those too. Maybe a bad yelp review will get some action out of them.

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Anyone willing to take a chance on these?$80 a pair.
Reviews are lame/limited.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I’m interested in some alternatives to the truck-lites, although nice that price is really off putting for some.

I may be willing to test some suggestions out!

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
The issue is that they fit 5 X7 or 7X6 headlight buckets. Probably gotta do some trimming.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought the Napa led lights and they fit great!!!! Cost me about $90 each . I spent an hour trying to get them to work. Finally changed enough pins to get them to work on high beam only. So they are capable but if you figue out the wires let me know. Yes I used resistors.
thanks for any help

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You shouldn't have to change out any pins, have you got pics of these things and the resistors you ran? If they have the same 3 prong design as ours it should be good...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I do not have pics. I will try it again but I can assure you it is not plug and play. maybe this weekend. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I bought the Napa led lights and they fit great!!!! Cost me about $90 each . I spent an hour trying to get them to work. Finally changed enough pins to get them to work on high beam only. So they are capable but if you figue out the wires let me know. Yes I used resistors.
thanks for any help
I do not have pics. I will try it again but I can assure you it is not plug and play. maybe this weekend. Any thoughts?
1. did your headlights work OK on low & high beams beforehand?

2. what model/brand are the original headlights?

3. did NAPA lights come with any instructions? Post those here.

4. did they come with resistors? Ballast resistors are only needed for LED turn-signals to prevent hyperflashing. They fool flasher-relay into flowing more current like original incandescent bulbs. Draw accurate diagram of how you have resistors wired-in and post here.

5. post some photos of what terminals at back of light looks like

6. post some photos of headlight connector on car's harness

7. do you have multimeter and know how to use it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
headlights Work fine with the h6054 headlights. Purchased resistors on Amazon Sorry. No time for the other questions now as it’s Golf Season

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had my brother-in-law law in. Tried to get them to work but no bueno. They Will not be plug and play. He said he may be able to add a relay and make it work. i guess the issue is the fog lights and the switching power that these lights will never recognize.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
You need to do the foglight rewire in the center console (then you can use them as driving lights when the headlights are off) as well as add resistors inline with the headlights so the high beam indicator on the dash works properly. Nothing needs to be done at the actual headlight plug although I'd suggest soldering on a nice new pigtail as the wiring and plug tends to get worn out, corroded and crumbly.

·
Registered
396 Posts
yeah, they plug right in and work perfectly fine out of box. Don't even need to re-wire anything going to headlight themselves.

1. if you unplug these lights and put factory lights back in, do they work?

2. do you have multimeter and know how to use it to measure voltage and resistance?

This is literally a 5-minute repair with multimeter.

Again, help us help you. Post photos of everything, especially the plug on car harness and the connections at back of lights.

·
Registered
40 Posts
yeah, they plug right in and work perfectly fine out of box. Don't even need to re-wire anything going to headlight themselves.

1. if you unplug these lights and put factory lights back in, do they work?

2. do you have multimeter and know how to use it to measure voltage and resistance?

This is literally a 5-minute repair with multimeter.

Again, help us help you. Post photos of everything, especially the plug on car harness and the connections at back of lights.
Toyota Supra has reverse polarity (GND is switched to the low and high beam) - these headlights require B+ to be switched to get the right polarity thru the diodes (typical US vehicles and other). Headlights with filaments (e.g. halogen) don’t care about the polarity and work fine in the OEM circuit. Per my brother in law the Engineer and former 85 ptype owner
if you find this in error please enlighten us This is frustrating

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm ME and my brother-in-law is EE. He can't even get set of sprinkler timers working properly. Not all engineers are created equal.

Don't get polarity mixed up with on/off switch.
Two completely different things.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts