Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am trying to get maximum sound in my car and i wanted to know if anyone has attempted to install one of these boxes in their car. its a 4 hole 6x9 speaker box. i was planning on installing it somehow right on top of my rear seats by the on top of the hatch cover.

any good advice will be taken. thnx.

here is a pic of the box.

sorry for the size but idk how to make it any bigger.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I have yet to try it but how LOUD do you want it. Just 2 6x9 is loud enough for me. Just get top of the line, they can push the volume. It's about quality, not quanity.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes i know. ive had many sound systems. i was alos thinking of jsut getting 2 seperate boxes for each speaker. the thing is that i am not goin to be running any other speakers from the stock locations

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I plan to redo my sound. I've done it a few times already, and it's time to do it again. Well not time cause I ain't got the money but yea you get the idea.

My combo now is 6x9s in the doors in some poorly made pods of mine that I need to remake, the stock rear speakers in the rear spots which I need to upgrade, and 2 10s in the hatch in a nice size box. 2 amps, mono for subs and one 4-channel for the 4 speakers.

I'm having a lot of problems getting decent bass from my 6x9s in my doors, that's one reason I know I need to redo it. The rear speakers (probably the stock rears) can, but they're old, and kinda blown. So I filter away all bass from those 4, and use the subs for bass only. You want your smaller speakers to push some midbass, but I guess I'm saving that for later.

What I plan to do is remake the pods for baffled 6.5s, and upgrade the rear speakers.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
that box would look tacky as hell, imo. the inside of these cars are small, you dont need alot of speakers to fill it up. hell, ive got 2 3.5" in the dash and 2 5.25" in the rear stock locations and 1 12" sub in the trunk and its alot louder and sounds alot better then i thought it would. i think the key here is quality speakers and equipment. ive debated adding 5x7's or 6x9's to the front doors, but i dont know if i even need/want to.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i also though the box would be too big. and i wish i could do custom pods for the doors but i cant nor have any knowledge in that and i dont really have that much money to take it to a shop and get them done there. i have 2 10" subs in the back and all stock speakers. well only the back 2 work. so yeah... and i want some 6x9's in there. since i already have them.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Door pods weren't that hard man. I think if I had a second door that wasn't cut I'd make sure I made the pods so that I didn't have to cut the doors, but hey, live and learn. There are a few of us who've done them and I used some of theirs as my inspiration. I haven't even shown mine yet. I'm gonna remake them, I'll show them then haha.

Get yourself some carboard to get the size right or do like I did and take your door skin off and lay it on your bed. Take your piece of wood and lay it on the skin and do your best tracing through wood (you can't see through it).

Cut with something other than a jigsaw, it sucks when you gotta make turns haha. And don't cut in your room, you'll get sawdust in your 360 and render it inoperable. But if it breaks you can trade it in broken and buy your girl something.

...Yea, definitely gonna remake mine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh ok. well i prefer to leave my door panels alone. dont want to mess them up and its gonna be hard to find another ones...

thanks anyways man, the car is in restoration mode just thinking of some ideas for it when the time comes to do it.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
once I start working on my supra again I will complete my system...

here it is now
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=41606&highlight=rear+seat+delete
I have 4 inch circles up front in stock spot and 6 inch circles in rear stock spots.

here is what I would like to do.. Havent completely decided about the pulsing neons yet as I am now starting to think its a little rice/tacky (did the drawing about a year back.)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that looks awesome bro. but i cant loose my back seats. here is what i have in mind.
keep my kenwood head unit
some jbl 5.25 components for the back
and 2 6x9's in boxes just cant find a place for them.
upgrading from my 2 10" kicker comps to some 12" cvr's
crunch 1100 amp for subs
and crunch 400 for speakers.

·
Registered
199 Posts
So how much of a system can the stock 60A alternator run? I'm kinda scared that if I add my amps, I'm gonna burn my car down. You guys running off the stock alt?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes im running of the stock alternator right now and no problems. looking to upgrade but your car wont burn down lol

·
Registered
199 Posts
Alright lol. I've heard some horror stories especially with Broncos, that guys upgrade stereos, and the alternator smokes, then catches fire. Hell, both my parents rigs did that, and those are 65A alts on the Broncos. Im just gonna run less that 1500W. Way less. And I've been blessed with the '83, which happens to be a PITA to upgrade alts on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh ok. well right now im running a 1000w amp, with a 1.5 farad cap and no problems. so dreadydiggs a alt. from a v6 camry would fit right in? huh........ going to look into that

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Yes it went on no mods at all. Go to the FAQ section of the forum and check out the High Output alt swap thread. I've posted there. Tells you what year etc. Camry to tell the stores haha.

I still need to get a stock pulley for mine, right now I'm using a belt that I cut one rib off of. No problems since like May, but come inspection they'd probably fail the belt based on it's look.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts