Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My headlights dont go down. Either one. Fuse is good too. The driver side seems a little tough to turn by hand but the passanger one goes down fine by hand. Also, i dont have a test light or multi meeter at home to test the circuit with right now. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem so i could get some short cuts on what the problem might be without spending hours of diag on it.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Many of us had had that issue and yes, you can spend days (not hours) trying to diagnose it. What was happening just before it stopped? If you manually open the lights to the full open postion, will the lights turn on?

Assuming that the lights will work, then a common issue is the round fuse link that is connected directly to the battery. If the lights work but no motor operation then this is a likely cause but not the only choice.

Failure points include:
1. Fuse: Drivers side
2. Relay#1: On right hand fenderwell
2. Relay#2: Under the dash and almost impossible to access
3. Fuse Link: Round plug connected to positive battery terminal. On 84+ models it connects to a black box, which houses the fuse link.
4. Wiring Short

There is a lot of detail on the forum about troubleshooting this issue. One of those links is http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=49824&page=4
Check this out and let me know if you can't figure it out.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Mine turned out to be a bad fusible link, from the positive batt. terminal to a 3 wire, round connector. I plan to run regular wire, a couple of female spade connectors, and a blade type fuse in it's place. Also, it's a good idea to use a q-tip and oil the headlight door hinges, and the lift rod pivots (top and bottom). This will lessen the work and electrical current that the motors use.

·
Registered
837 Posts
hey omg if you are able to pinpoint the problem let me know i have all the above said fuse links and relays. just let me know which one it is and i will send it your way. if it turns out to be the motors i have those as well and just shoot me an offer.

·
Registered
177 Posts
So the other day I drove to a buddy's at dusk, the lights came up and on as usual when I left the house and went down and off as I parked at his house.
When I tried to leave later that night I got parking and fog but no headlight pop-up.
If I crank them up manually they light up.
If I pull the RTR fuse (not blown) from the driver kick panel I stop hearing the faint click that from the driver's seat with the passenger door closed and windows up sounds like it's coming from the passenger side of the car (possibly from the engine bay) and happens within a second or two of turning the headlight switch all the way to on or off so the fuse is good.
The factory 84 service manual says there's that fuse, the retractor relay on the passenger fender in the engine bay, and a "retractor control relay" that it doesn't show the location of at all. I assume that's the one y'all have listed as being under the dash?
Would the relay on the passenger fender and/or the relay under the dash still click if the fusible link is having a problem? In other words, does the fusible link power the motors (through the fender relay) but the relay logic itself is powered from a separate circuit so even if the relays are all working there could still be no power getting into the relay contacts to run the motors?
I've experienced situations in other MkII's and MkIII's where if you try to manually crank a headlight up or down it reaches a certain point and may suddenly try to operate unexpectedly on its' own. My MkII's issue is that it never tries to run the motors at all.
The previous owner replaced one entire headlight assembly out of a junkyard so one headlight only comes on once they're pretty much up and goes out as they come down but the other one lights up when you turn the switch on whether it comes up or not... I remember my 82 would light up before they came up and wouldn't go out 'till they were down but the later years only lit in the up position and the steps on the switch behaved a little differently too.

So since the rtr fuse is good and I do hear a click is it a safe guess that it's most likely either a corroded relay or corroded/bad fusible link not powering the rtr motors in my case???

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can offer as this is both annoying as hell to have to crank them up by hand, and really embarrassing to drive around in the daytime in an otherwise cool car with the pop-up headlights "stuck" up all the time...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts