Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is how i built the down pipe off the stock header on my 5mge. the stock one was smashed in a wreck in the car i got the motor out of. i built the down pipe out of 1.5" then the y's collect into a 2-7/8" pipe. from there the gases exit out the back through 2.5" tubing minus the cat, and silenced by a 2.5" turbo muffler.

i got this idea by looking through summit catalogs. i need to drive someones stock supra to see how much my modifications have helped my engine! :lol:

heres the picture

kind of unclear but you can get the idea.

do you think this could give any performance to the engine?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Not to be snobby, but that is *not* a downpipe. A downpipe is a single large diameter tube that runs from a turbo's turbine housing down to the catalytic converter. What you've got there is a collector.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry collector.

do you think it would make any difference.

and its not in a car. its a truck! see the transfer case in the underside picture? :oops:

·
Registered
272 Posts
>>
do you think it would make any difference.
>>

It might make a bit of difference, but you will still have the rest of the stock manifold adding its airflow resistance.

You'd be really better off doing that same mod on a pacesetter header, making your own Y-pipe that would take the two secondaries and collect them into a 2.5" collector. The "stock" pacesetter has a 2" ID, I believe.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I got a fully modified Pacesetter with 2.5" collector I'm interested in selling.....

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'm sure he got the term from catalogs.

In the IS300 community, the Y pipe that attaches to the header and down to the cat is known as the downpipe. Rather then have a full header system, they break it in 2 pieces. Some just buy the downpipe and use header, while others get both.

·
Super Moderator
8,493 Posts
Considering they last logged in Feb 2010, you might be waiting awhile...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts