Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking into getting some headers for my white supra (6MGE) and i saw some at www.nopionline.com that were real cheap.
PACESETTER Black Steel Header - 2.8L 5MGE $178.98
PACESETTER Ceramic Coated Steel Header - 2.8L 5MGE $326.03
PACESETTER Exhaust Header - 5MGE - BLUE ARMOR Coat -$342.33

whats the difference between each? have any of you guyz purchaced any of these from them?

I have also found http://www.thorleyheaders.com/
they have the 82-85 6 cyl. Supra. THY-530Y is there any site that sells them?

Thanks, Laterz zankone

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've heard that you have to modify the header to fit properly with the Pacesetters, so I'd probably stay away from them. I'm sure someone will post more info on them.
As for the Thorleys, I have them and love the extra hp I got from them! I'd suggest to go with the ceramic coating when you get them, as the nickel finish will instantly tarnish and after a few years, they will eventually show surface rust.
If you're close to the Sepulveda area, I can give you my friend's shop #, he can order them for you for around $320.00.
Be forewarned though, whatever you go with will most likely have to be ordered! Karaki and I both ordered our Thorleys around the same time and were lucky to get ours in just under 6 weeks IIRC. Thorley Headers only does production runs every 4 months or so for the MKII Supras...

·
Super Moderator
7,288 Posts
Zank, I got my thorley's from www.pro-max.com, they were $315 (uncoated) when i got them, but i think the price went up slightly from last year. I don't think Thorley offers ceramic coating anymore, I forgot...check with pro-max they know it all. They were awesome, customer service was absolutely amazing. I brought my headers to a local guy and had them coated, they did a pretty awesome job...see for yourself: http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/supraless

George
84 6m
89 T -f/s

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have the Pacesetter Ceramic Coated. The bolt holes in the flange don't match up and need some modification, also the O2 sensor is not in the best location, your check engine light will come on from time to time unless you modify the AFM. Otherwise they fit fine, look good and work well for me. Also because I live in Canada I could get the Pacesetters in a few weeks, they quoted months for the Thorleys.

Art

·
Registered
237 Posts
Pro-max.com has the coated Thorley for $512 I think I think I'll just buy it coated from them. How much does coating cost??

·
Registered
457 Posts
coating

Check with Jet Hot for coating, I had my header coated by them a couple of years ago and it cost me $150.00 inside and out. I just had my turbo exhaust housing and exhaust manifold done also 30.00 for the housing and 175.00 for the manifold.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
i need to get a header and exhaust.......the stock is soo restricting.....and i need to get the rabidchimp intake...what would you guys suggest the best for buck exhaust is? should i get a high flow cat, should i have it custome done or is there an entire exhaust setup i should buy?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I cruised by the shop that my buddy works at last night and there was a used chrome thorley header hanging on the wall. I told him to ask the owner when he gets back from vacation how much he wants for it, The only thing is that the midpipe that goes between the header and cat has been welded on to the header, so you can't take it off anymore. Im sure he'll let it go real cheap if anyones interested. its in good condition

Christian

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
If you live in California spend the extra dough for the Thorley. They've got a EO# so can smog with them on just fine. The Pacesetter you'll have to remove for smog checks. It cost me right about $200 to have Jet hot coat my Thorley. The stuff is worth every penny if you care about how things look. Plus it really does help cut down on engine bay heat.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have the Pacesetter headers on my 83' 6m-ge Supra (the headers also fit the original 5m-ge no problems) and they fit and all. I live in so. cali also btw.

Two problems though.

prob. #1
the O2 sensor is in a horrible spot on a long tube extended upwards. Placing the O2 sensor here won't work at all. You will have to have the headers modified by a shop by closing off the original O2 sensor hole and having a new hole cut and put in down near where all the pipes meet. The guys down at the local muffler shop here did it for me for 20$.

prob. #2
they WILL NOT pass smog inspection. If the smog tech who does the inspection looks under the hood and goes by the book you have problems. SOME may let it slide but it's hard to find those types now. At the time of me getting these (about 5 years ago I think, sheesh) they were the only ones I could find anywhere. It's been a huge hassle to get these to pass smog as every time I need a smog inspection I have to run around looking for someone who doesn't have a conscience. They are really coming down on these smog shops who do favours for people and they even closed down 3 in my town in the past few years so it's getting really hard.

So I'd reccomend going for the others if they are 50 state legal since you are in california. Otherwise be ready for a big headache.

Aside from that they're great but freaking loud. My car is seriously the loudest non-pre72'-V8 car I know. :!:

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess im going with the Thorley headers.

yo Racefiend shoot me an email when you find out how much they want for those Thorley Headers?

thanks, Laterz zankone

·
Registered
237 Posts
I finally got the Thorley, and yes you can get it coated from them. I paid $512 from Pro-Max plus shipping. Arrived 2 days after I ordered it. I put it on yesterday. Was sort of a pain overall, but it is on and really changed the sound of the exhaust. I had to grind the power steering bracket to make it fit correctly. Before with a 2.25" cat and the 2.5" Brullen it droaned some but sounded good and was quite deep sounding. Now it sounds more like an Indy car but pulls so much better from 3K on. I runs through the upper RPMs much quicker and pulls alot harder than before. It doesn't slow down in the upper RPMs like before. It doesn't droan much at all now and gets quite loud when you open it up. Overall I'm very happy with it and can't wait for the split second converter to arrive to open the intake up some more. I'd recomend this one especially to those in smog states. I was disappointed to see the header ended with a 2.5" pipe and the collector to the cat is only 2.25" I wonder if it would be better with a 2.5" pipe all the way with a 2.5" cat? :D

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
To those of you WITH Thorleys: About the O2 sensor, did your header come with the nuts and bolts to bolt it too that flange they have? I got mine used and the hardware that was holding the bad O2 sensor in there was strange...like 14MM with a screwdriver slot and about 8 washers, but one dropped off the car and now I've only one holding it in there! The area behind the top bolt hole is insanely small...I couldn't come up with a nut small enough to fit in there. Any suggestions on what I could use would be cool....or maybe I can order the original harware(If there is any) from Thorley.

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
237 Posts
Mine has about 3/4" clearance between the O2 flange and the header pipe. It came with two bolts about 1" long with nuts. 13mm is what fit but I believe it wasn't metric. Any old nut and bolt should fit unless the one you have is much closer than mine. perhaps that is why they have the flange out a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
jr85mk2 said:
Pro-max.com has the coated Thorley for $512 I think I think I'll just buy it coated from them. How much does coating cost??
330.99 on the pro-max site. I don't see a coated one listed. BTW I thought everyone has been saying that you can't get the Thorley's anymore. My mistake. todd

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you call Pro-Max they will give you the price for the coated header. Mine was $512 just a month ago. I didn't have a problem with getting mine, it arrived in 2 days! I'm just bummed that it isn't 2.5" all the way through but that shouldn't be hard to change! :D

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
FWDsux said:
To those of you WITH Thorleys: About the O2 sensor, did your header come with the nuts and bolts to bolt it too that flange they have? I got mine used and the hardware that was holding the bad O2 sensor in there was strange...like 14MM with a screwdriver slot and about 8 washers, but one dropped off the car and now I've only one holding it in there! The area behind the top bolt hole is insanely small...I couldn't come up with a nut small enough to fit in there. Any suggestions on what I could use would be cool....or maybe I can order the original harware(If there is any) from Thorley.

Thanks
Nick
The O2 sensor on the Thorleys are held on with a bolt and a nut. I ended up using some nuts and bolts from my spare bolts bucket to keep everything metric.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts