Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i was reading in the toyota manual and it says to apply in a couple spots liquid sealer. I asked a few people and they told me its not necessary but i wanna do this right.....also i'll be using an extention when i torque down the head, do i need to bump up the torque any, i've heard that extentions cause the actual torque to be lower....

I hate just working on it on sundays but have no other time. Its a slow arduous process where nothing is going right, i hope i can get this thing going soon, if it was at my house i could work on it everynight, but its not...

also when changing all the gaskets head up is there anything else i should be doing other than wire cap rotor plugs, i even painted the valve covers, they look pretty sweet...i'll try to get pictures when im done i hope, if i can find a digital camera...Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
I used RTV twice on my head gaskets and had no problems with it. its just for the front of the gaskets

·
Registered
663 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Actually you should consider the torsion in the extension when using a torque wrench, however I have NEVER met a person who did/does.
Many years ago(1983ish) I could and did calculate this type of correction when i was forced/allowed to take college physics. :shock: :shock:

what is the current recommended torque for a 5mge head , my manual says 58, do most people up that to 68-70 for a composite gasket?

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i got a lot of it done today but still got slowed down, just wanna make sure i do it all right, i have a tendency to mess up.....lol

however i did the head on the cam boxes on, the timing belt on, the gas lines hooked up, intake and exhaust on......but i still have some way to go and wanna give myself sometime before i make this thing run...

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOO HOOO!!!!! its alive, i got it running nice tonight, got the timing all correct it was great, if i could work on it everynight, i'd love it, but only sundays for this thing. I didn't get it finished however it does run.

Got scared when i first started it up, one or two of the lifters had bled out and was making a horrid tapping noise that went away....lol but then it got too dark to work....i guess i'll try again another day.

Only problem i'm going to have is torqueing down the crank pulley bolt, its a damn automatic....and i'm not taking out the radiator......oh well..just wanted to update me.... :dancin: :clap: :rockon:

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Assuming that you're using, or used, a 1/2" drive torque wrench; use a 1/2" drive air impact wrench extension and you won't have to worry much about torsion.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i can't get an impact in there and i need to stop the motor from turning....i guess i could use a chain wrench, if not i will have to stop the ring gear on the flextplate.......we'll see how it goes next time i can work on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts