Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been researching the possibility of upgrading my headlights. I want a fighting chance again’t the deer this summer! The posts I’ve found are at least 10 years old. What did you do or what would you recommend to use to upgrade our headlights.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I used a pair of GE Nighthawk LED replacement housings, part number 69822. They have really nice light, are a direct fit and low current draw so work just fine with the stock wiring. They are even DOT certified!

one note, you will need to install a headlight resistor on one side so the high beam indicator and fog lights work (if you haven't rewired them). It's a common issue with LED conversions.

Reactions: Beernuts

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Depends on how much you are willing to spend.

Cheapest method, with very good results, is swapping over to a quality H4 headlight housing with a quality H4 bulb. Hella and IPF make good housings, and PIAA is my favorite bulb for that application. This would probably cost around $150-$200 depending on your bulb choice. (Hella/IPF housings are around $50/each).

More expensive option is get a projector retrofitted headlight housing with an HID bulb setup. This yields probably the best results, but will probably end up at around the $400-500 mark depending on where you go to get this done.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I've had the E codes with a few different bulbs, and have a couple cars with good HID projectors and I will tell you the GE Nighthawk LED replacement housings are the best headlights I have seen in a mk2 and better than most HID projectors in other cars even. They are expensive, but they are worth it. Plus the low power consumption means even the old small stock wiring has zero effect on their brightness. I'd replace your connectors if they are crusty though.

Reactions: AJ

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
The LED conversions are only as good as the housings. Popping an LED "head light" in a Hella or similar housing is just wrong.
You will NOT have good light cut off and you will not be happy. They are not designed for that. The LED has to be designed for that housing.
Not so much for fog lamps ,as I have done.
Went to an underground parking garage and aimed mine.
Gamble's choice is impressive. They ain't cheap!
(1) 84 p type up keep and basic mods | Toyota Celica Supra Forum

I had Hella headlights in my Ford and they were great! My supra does not like Halogen's amp draw , due to the lame alternator out put.
Most other lamps in my supra are LED's. Nott he dash lights, yet. Side, tail and brake lights are, with the flasher conversion. No more 'finger wag 'when the turn signal is ON.
The original lights are kind of yellow=3,000K. The blue ones are 6,000K-not so fun.5,000K for the fogs and headlights are bright WHITE and not at all blue.
The secondary BULB in the fog light housing will NOT like an LED 194 peanut bulb. Trust me on that.

Fogs and headlights. Both 5000K. (y)

Reactions: AJ

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
The GE Nighthawk housings are a complete housing with integrated LEDs. They are even DOT compliant.

Reactions: ddd228

·
MemberSince2000
311 Posts
Purchased a set of these that give a decent DRL line cut-off and are significantly brighter than stock.

But as mentioned by Funkycheeze, you'll need to rewire (switch the lines) for the high beam.

Compliments to the seller on eBay for these visual instructions -

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
SUPRAMK2 nice work!!

Reactions: CelicaSUPRAMK2

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve been researching the possibility of upgrading my headlights. I want a fighting chance again’t the deer this summer! The posts I’ve found are at least 10 years old. What did you do or what would you recommend to use to upgrade our headlights.
Thank you!

Brightest headlights on the road. They claim to be dot approved but there's no way they really are. Not at almost 11,000 lumen low beams and 18,000 lumen high beams. but it's not like you'll ever get busted for it.
You will need the relay kit/harness deal. I bought mine from Amazon I think. And then I run yellow LEDs in the fog lights with the deflector taken out which are bright enough to drive at night by themselves.
Definitely not the most legal setup but absolutely the brightest.

·
Registered
28 Posts
there have been some good recommendations here op. have you tried looking at youtube? it would be best to see a visual representation of what you are looking for.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks or all the help. Not sure which direction I’ll go in my search I found some Napa brand LED sealed beam for $90 each. Anyone tried these?
Thank you all so much

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Is there a direct replacement that doesn’t involve any other mods such as resistors or ballast boxes? I’m looking for a headlight I can simply plug in and go. I’ve seen mk3 guys do it on YouTube... ?

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
The nighthawk housings just plug right in and work. It's just the high beam indicator on the dash won't work unless you get a plug-in resistor pack (also common and easy to install)

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Sylvania H6054XV XtraVision-Halogen Sealed Beam cheap and basic plug and play

·
Registered
183 Posts
I bought the Headlight Experts LED Conversion kit for my 1988 Landcruiser and they turned out really well. These are the 4 separate lights, but no reason to think that the single dual hi/lo beams would be different. I especially like that they look like the stock headlight. I am ordering the same for my Supra as soon as i can. the service from the headlight experts tech dept. was pretty responsive too. I e-mailed several times back and forth the night i was installing and got a reply within an hour typically. I had a little trouble with installing the diodes facing side to side and for the first few days everyone was flashing their bright lights at me when I was on low beam, but contacted the tech dept. and they informed me that i needed the diodes facing up and down, which solved this issue (and a slight adjustment down on the lights housings as my old Halogens were so dim I aimed them up a little to help)

$199.99
Again, I have not purchased these yet, but the ones i bought for the Landcruiser I am very happy with. I did have to buy the resistors to allow the high beam indicator light to illuminate on the Landcruiser dash. I assume it will be the same for the Supra. Current draw too low to detect the high beam on i guess?

·
Registered
1 Posts
3 LED bars were added to augment the fog lights, 1 spot beam at center and 2 flood beams, controlled with a remote or by splicing into the fog light wires..

Passenger-side flood beam has wider dispersion to light up the side of the road while driver-side has narrow dispersion to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.

Spot beam at 10 feet. top 6" below the low beam cut off

Spot beam at 25 feet, top focused 9 " below the low beam cut off

Spot beam at 100 feet

Spot beam at 250 feet. Road surface is lighted up to 500 feet ahead, road signs up to 1,000 feet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts