Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i am right now working on my friends MKII Because last night her headlights just both went out at the same time. We checked both fuses and swapped the relay with the one out of my MKIII and it still isn't working. It doesn't have Lows, Highs, or flash so i am at a loss. It says its getting .0024v to the lights. Any suggestions. I am pretty MKII illiterate

·
Registered
555 Posts
I can't resist so....well I would really like to see her headlights first before I give out any advice....

Seriously, do the headlights go up? If they both went out at the same time (and you checked the fuses - did you put in known good ones or just a visual check??) it is possibly the switch in the "stalk" not making good contact, or a bad wire in the switch. So maybe a jiggle or two will help you determine if it is that. Usually the problem is they don't pop up, not that they don't come on. Since this is your first post, did you try to search "headlights not working" using the search button? Many times the information you seek is here and you just need to read the threads and see what parts apply to your (her) problem. There may not be one exact thread that will help but reading a few in that category may give you inspiration and a new way to look at the problem.

Truthfully this isn't much to go on, but I didn't want to leave you out in the cold, especially if you can help a little Hottie and gain a few points.
Hey, maybe you could post a picture of her headlights so we can have more to go on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't resist so....well I would really like to see her headlights first before I give out any advice....
she happens to be 17 yrs old... lol so that wont happen :duh: but i went home and took a look at this car over the weekend and only got more confused ....

head lights come up when switch is activated.... but lights wont come on.... fuses are good and relay is good... pulled the switch and checked it... its good too....

but here is the thing... i was just messing around pulling fuses and having her turn on and off the lights, flashers, and turn signals to see if anything funky happend... and sure enough something happend....

i pull the hazards fuse... she turns on hazards.... head lights come on.... but then wont turn off for anything... even after the key is out of the ignition...

before both headlights went out she blew one head light ... so she replaced both of them ... after that they both were very very dim.... and when she clicked on her high beams... the tail light fuse would blow....

this is just getting confusing.... so any help would be greatly appreciated..... for she can only drive during the day...

thanks in advance...

Cole

·
Registered
137 Posts
all the funkieness is sounding more and more like a grounding issue

·
Registered
555 Posts
It sure sounds like the wires are crossed, which I think would be hard to do unintentionally, or they are smashed together in there somewhere, which is easy to do unintentionally. If one switch is turned on (hazard lights) and another item (headlights) is energized how else can this happen?? If you say the vehicle was "essentially fine" before the headlight blew and problems occurred after that, it is time (when you get back to Indy) to re-do the headlight project and look at all of the wires to see if they are ok. Follow them back as far as you can for cracked insulation and such. Who did the replacement job in the first place?? (probably her Dad) Maybe talk to him/her/them to see what happened during the project, with the pop-up headlights it isn't hard to get pinched wires if they are placed in the wrong orientation. BTW electrical leaks are the hardest ones to find, they could be anywhere and don't leave any evidence. Good Luck & keep us posted

·
Super Moderator
8,564 Posts
On the positive battery cable there is a plastic box that if you open there are two wires. More than likely one of those fusible link evaporated so you aren't supplying power to the lights. Less likely is there is a headlight relay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts