Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're talking about the blue box under the dash near the steering column.

Does anyone know if the early (p/n 85963-14010 in my 82) and late (p/n 85963-14011 from 85 in boneyard) headlight retractor control relays are interchangeable? They have identical connectors, but they are different inside: the early one has a relay in it, the late one is all electronic.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Probably not going to work because the head light stalks are different. You could verify with a wiring diagram, but I would bet it won't work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to go ahead and answer my own question, in case anyone asks this in the future: They definitely are different and not interchangeable. Both should still be available from Toyota if you're rich enough ($99 for later style, $140 for early style).

Turns out I was using the diagnostic procedure for the later style relay on my early style relay. I found the correct wiring diagram for my 82 and decided my relay was indeed working. The reason the two do not interchange has to do with the different headlight retractor motors, not the headlight switch.

After replacing two bad retractor motors, the retractor relay (the one under the hood - it was gone, I guess someone took it out to kill the bad motors), and the pink fusible link at the battery terminal I now have working headlight retractors!!!

And If anyone needs a late style retractor control relay (p/n 85963-14011) I've got one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts