Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever removed the headliner from the sun roof? If so can it be done without taking the sunroof out of the car?

I am just finishing up replacing the entire interior in the white car and I'm trying to determine how big of a job removing the sunroof headliner is. Haynes and TSRM neither say if it can be removed in car.

Anyone have any secret techniques?

Thanks,
Leslie

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I was afraid that was what you were going to say. Seems to me like a heck of a lot of work just to replace that panel. I was sure hoping there was something that I was missing. :cry:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Marblehead said:
Yeah, removing the entire assembly is an option but I didn't want to deal with removing the sealant, applying new sealent and possibly creating a leak.

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
Scott
Scott,
I already figured out how to get the donor liner off, doing it your way. My issue is how to get it installed into my car. Have you actually reinstalled one just by jimmying it in?

Leslie

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scott,

Got you. Not too sure what you mean by working it from the top and pushing down from the outside, wouldn't the metal sunroof itself be in the way?

One other question, what about the black clamp things at the front edge that have the pointed tab sticking up? Are those things supposed to snap into something at the front of the roof to secure it?

Getting the donor out was a piece of cake, I don't understand why putting it back in should seem so difficult but to me it does. At least if I can get the beige one out now without damaging it, if I screw up the masonite backing, I can just do a vinyl transfer and try again.

Thanks for the suggestions. Sometimes not knowing it is impossible, makes it much easier to do.

Leslie

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Marblehead said:
Yeah, removing the entire assembly is an option but I didn't want to deal with removing the sealant, applying new sealent and possibly creating a leak.

If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.
Scott
Scott,

THANKS for all the imput. We did manage to install the new BLUE headliner from inside the car without taking the sunroof off at all. I agree with you on the fear of having to reseal the sunroof after removal. Besides, it doesn't leak at all now and I didn't want to risk the possibility of getting one started.

You are correct, it is a bit tricky but easier than I had anticipated. Jeff Sawyer was down helping me out today and it maybe took up 5 minutes to put the new liner in. We did what you suggested and it work great! So once again, THANKS

The resources we have available here are incredible. You can pretty much bet that someone has done it before no matter what you are trying to do.

Leslie

Leslie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts