Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys;

I have a few questions regarding headliners.

Can they be repainted? If so, do I need special paint?

Can I just glue a piece of fabric/ Like a plastic, that i can wipe?

are the little holes in the headliner there for anything?

Thanks in advance guys.

:D

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
You can use a vinyl dye on the headliner if you want. SEM makes a nice vinyl dye if that is what you are interested in. You can also strip the factory headliner and glue a new piece of fabric on if that is what you want to do as well. You just use a contact cement like what 3M sells in a spray can to adhere it there. The only things I can think that the holes are there for is to let the material "breathe" or it is just a styling thing.

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
I tried several times to redo a fallen headliner in my Mercury Capri. The original was vinyl but I reglued in some lighter weight headliner material that came already with an 1/8" foam rubber layer. I think the key must be in somehow getting all the old glue off because I never could get it to stay completely glued for more than a month (Texas summer probably had something to do with it too). The backing itself was cardboard and would have dissolved if I'd used anything very strong to clean it. Wound up cutting new cardboard but it never quite fit right. Dunno what the backing material is in the supra but if you can't get the old glue off completely, it won't stick. I've seen these signs around town that say "Hows your headliner hangin?" with a phone number. Never called tho to see what they do or charge. I'll bet an autotrim supply shop would be able to give you more advice.

Phil D.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Nick,

You've seen my headliner, right? I recovered that, big PITA but worth it since it turned out the way I wanted and I'm probably the only MK2 owner with a black headliner. The headliner is molded cardboard with foam backed vinyl glued to it. You can pull the vinyl off but then the fun and frustration begins :) You have to completely remove the glue and foam.
The only way I found to do this is to rub it off by hand, or I should say by finger tip. Once you get a little ball going it kinda sticks to itself... but not for long :x Just keep doing this for a few hours and you'll have a good start. Once you get down to bare clean cardboard (you'll know when) you get to recover it. I bought a roll of foam backed headliner replacement fabric at Pepboys for $20-30 (I think I had to buy the middle size so it was more than $20) and a can of "special" adhesive for about $7. I bought their adhesive just in case it was special, but it seemed to be about the same as the 3M stuff you can get at Homedepot. I also decided to not re-cut the holes for the grab handles, much cleaner looking IMO.
If you're doing a headliner from a car with sunroof then you'll have to re-cover the sunroof trim panel as well. Probably very similar if not the same process.

HTH

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys thanks for the info.

Joseph, if I don't get too frustrated, you may not be the only black headliner. We'll see how it goes.

Cheers everyone

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have a black headliner as well. All i did was get some vynil spray paint and take it off and paint it.
I also painted the sunroof area and the sun shades.
It looks great.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've got a pic of it somewhere on my site. I've done the same for the sunroof panel and the roof lining.

I pulled the old material off, glued the material to conform to the moulding and used a staple gun all around the edges and around the holes for the lights etc. It looks awesome.

If you go to my site http://iamfrank.ath.cx and look at the interior section of the XX, I've added it in there, I've got pics of both, but you can more clearly see the pattern of the black quilting on the sunroof panel one.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
holes

Actually The little holes in the headliner are for sound absorption both from inside and outside the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts