Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my heater core is toast. 2 questions: what hell am I in for, and will a heater core from a similar year celica work?

keep in mind this is on an MKI.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Im in the same boat

Last night i find my passaenger floor matt enjoy a swim in coolant. My Heater core is shagged and i am fuming since i have just finised putting that car back together after a respray!!! Not happy. Look forward to seeing some replies.

Thanks and regards
Barnzi

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Uhgg

I've had to replace my heater core on my old MKII (sorry no help on the MKI) It straight sucked! I'm sure other people here who are more mechanicly inclined will tell you it isn't that bad but for me it took me 3 days at about 4-5 hours a day. The entire dash must come out to get to the core. I got hosed on what I payed for the core at the dealership too $200+ !! ouch !!

will

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i have to do a heater core soon too, but since mines gonna stay in the garage all winter, im not too worried.
ive heard more than once that the dash has to come out... thats not that hard, been there... done that.
ive gotten quotes of 88 bucks canadian for a core, although thats a repro part, not toyota original, but WTFC, after november, we arent gonna be able to get any more new parts from toyota anyways. :roll:

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Damn......Now thats a job!!..........Guess I need to add that to the LONG list of to dos.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Also Excellent write up suprawes. Thanks

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Done it. The heater core is the first thing they put on so the whole dash has to come out.

·
Registered
417 Posts
What I can't figure out is the two black ducts. That sit on the trans tunnel. You can see them in the 3rd picture. All the Supra's and Celica's of that generation has them. I don't really see where they hook up to anything. And they don't seem to supply and air flow either. They seem useless to me. Does anyone know what these are for? I'm a certified AC tech and I've never seen anything like this before. :werd:

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
if you mean the black ducts that go behind the dash, they supply vents, at least in the supra, which i call 'testicle warmers' cause that seems to be the only purpose for them, besides making me too warm when im driving and forget them open.

they are directly under the steering column, and under the center of the glove box.

weeeeeeeeeellll, thats a bit bigger looking job than i thought, i didnt realize when people said everything has to come out that they meant EVERYTHING.
lol

good thing ive got my back up vehicle... which needs a tune up now that im thinking of it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My car has the vents under the steering wheel and glove box also. But those 2 black ducts that are in picture 3. Start right under the radio and go over the trans tunnel and stop near the seats. The ducts are under the carpet. That's why I can't figure out what they are for. Anyone else what to take a shot at what these do? :?

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
Heat for dwarves riding in back :roll: :?:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sounds like a barrel o' monkeys..... looks like at least a six-pack job 8).

·
Registered
578 Posts
It took me a few days to without a manual to figure this one out. I had the dash almost out. I had to make a small cut in those two black ducts to get them off the air source. I then was able to pull the core out from the inside and put in a new one. Someone mentioned it cost over 200 for a new one. I paid under 20 at autozone. They had to order it but, that is a good savings.

·
Registered
195 Posts
dynamic73 said:
What I can't figure out is the two black ducts. That sit on the trans tunnel. You can see them in the 3rd picture. All the Supra's and Celica's of that generation has them. I don't really see where they hook up to anything. And they don't seem to supply and air flow either. They seem useless to me. Does anyone know what these are for? I'm a certified AC tech and I've never seen anything like this before. :werd:
If you're talking about the two black "duct" like things situated right under and to the back of the stereo head unit location in this picture:

then, I would say those are not air ducts at all. They seem to me like they are just extra thick rubber pads used to deaden tranny and road noise. As far as I know, all the air vents are on the dash itself, or under it, but no air is pushed through ducts for the rear seats (unfortunately, but makes things a little easier for us when ripping things apart).

Make sense?

- Mike

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yes that's the picture of the two black ducts. That I was refering to. I doubt they are used to deadend engine or tranny noise. As the factory already uses. A noise suppressing type material on the floor. I agree that's I don't see anyway air if flowing thru them. But they sure do look like some kind of duct work. I'm still stumped by what they really are for. Toyota is very smart and they don't put stuff in like that. Unless it has some kind of a function. But what they are for. I'm really at a loss. No matter how long I've been working on cars. I'll never learn it all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
supras have heating/cooling ducts for the rear passengers. if u look closely you'll see the outlets near the seats. they're just slits in the carpet, but they work. yours may have been disconnected, but they should pass air if the control is in the "floor" position.

·
Registered
417 Posts
majjam1954 my car has the black ducts like I've said. But there's no slit in the carpet. And I don't see any place where they hook up to the factory climate control. Now if you car uses them and has the slits in the carpet. Then it makes since that they were used to supply air to the rear passengers. Like you said. Maybe they discontinued them or they were only used in certain models. I'd be great if you could take a picture of the slits in your carpet. So we could see where the air is coming out. If that is in fact what these are for. I'd like to try and hook mine up. To distribute the air more evenly thru out the car. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have an 86 supra mk2 i have replaced the heater core and my dash is still in pieces 4 days later. does anyone know where i can find an exploded assembly of my dash. also i haven't been able to get any heat can you help :mad:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts