Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Joining the forum because Ive been dreaming of a Mk2 for years now. Currently the owner of an 83 944, but hoping to sell soon so I can get my dream: a Manual P-type. Hoping I can find one here that I can give a good home 馃

Any recommendations for where to look/how to post a wanted ad would be helpful! Cant wait to get jealous of everyone else's cars!

Founding Member
Welcome aboard. Maybe a little more info is needed. What is your ambition, an original mk2 Supra like it came out of the factory or a blank slate for modification? What do you want to do with it? Take it to car shows, race (drag, track, autox, lemons), touring, weekender or daily? Completely done, enjoy in as-is survivor condition, light fixer-upper or (cough, cough) restore?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome aboard. Maybe a little more info is needed. What is your ambition, an original mk2 Supra like it came out of the factory or a blank slate for modification? What do you want to do with it? Take it to car shows, race (drag, track, autox, lemons), touring, weekender or daily? Completely done, enjoy in as-is survivor condition, light fixer-upper or (cough, cough) restore?
Im envisioning a stock P-Type, 1984 or 1985, maybe some tasteful mods like a new exhaust and suspension, but nothing really on the engine or interior. I want to make it my summer car for cruises, roadtrips, and car shows. She'll be garage kept and hand washed and waxed frequently, never see the awful chicago winters I have to deal with. Basically I want to help preserve and enjoy a nice example because I think its one of the coolest cars ever made.

Id be okay with a car that needs some cosmetic work, but im not a mechanic so hoping to avoid getting something that'd need major work done. Ideally though Id like to take on a good example that has been cared for, because I want to continue to care for it.

Founding Member
Sadly, the very top end of the market seems to be dominated by the 7-day online auctions like Bring-a-Trailer. The bad thing is that they are designed to benefit the seller only and the buyers must assume a great deal of risk. I've been eyeing some other 80s icons as well (everybody at our local shows has seen my cars and don't stop to talk or ask questions anymore so its time to add something different). Every time something I'm interested in pops up on one of those auction sites, either a) I can't get away from work in the next six days to travel to go see it or b) if its close enough to drive and by some miracle I have the time, the seller outright refuses to respond to show it, knowing there are plenty of high-stakes gamblers in the market who will bid sight-unseen. Sadly, a Chrysler Conquest with the rare optional sports suspension package just sold in Austin for $22,750 this week. I'm prepared to spend a lot more than that, but I didn't bid at all because the seller wouldn't show it last weekend.

I don't know about you, but I've already learned not to trust my computer screen. Last car on BAT I inspected locally, they'd posted a narrated video gushing about how well the car drove, but when I drove it, it would hesitate every time I stepped on the gas. You couldn't tell in the video because you can't see that two or three seconds elapsed from when he mashed the pedal to when it took off. You have to experience it for yourself. I once drove three hours to look at a Mustang that was supposed to have been freshly repainted in dark green (think Bullitt except it was a 67, not a 68). The pictures looked great on my laptop but when I got there it looked like a bass boat in person. When I queried the seller, he admitted that they'd "taken some liberty" with the factory color and used a larger metal flake than specified to "make it pop". Burst my bubble anyway. But either his camera or my screen didn't pick it up, or I wouldn't have wasted a whole Saturday. I've have just decided that I will not board a plane to go inspect a car on an auction site because there's too great a chance I'm just wasting time and money and then I'll have to fly home and bid against high stakes gamblers who are assuming its as perfect as the pictures show. I'll only go so far for an auction site.

I would likely fly though if I thought I had a reasonable chance of negotiating a price while standing in front of a car, but sadly, people are getting to where they are scared of selling a car themselves anymore. Social media and all we're fed only bad news. That anecdotal information does not reflect actual statistical risk but because you saw three stories worldwide of private sellers getting bad cashiers checks or being robbed, you think you're next. I believe that's why sellers are more and more turning to these auction sites where they just post a bazillion photos and a video or two, then put it on a truck across country after the check clears, never even meeting the buyer.

A good option though you should look into classic car dealers and consignment dealers. I had sold a 68 Mustang a few years ago through a consignment dealer and recently one of our local members sold his mk2 through the same one, Streetside Classics here in Fort Worth. You have to pay probably 20% more, but at least they have business hours, you can go inspect it, they'll usually put it on a lift for you, plus they handle all the paperwork, arrange shipping, etc. From the seller side, we didn't have to deal with tire kickers, no-shows, etc., they take the risk of bad checks, do all the marketing and so I though it was worth it. I have friends who've purchased cars there and I believe I'd buy from them too if they find something I want.

But don't hesitate to make an offer at these consignment places. When I consigned that Mustang, the manager told me that most of their sellers were actually asking way too much but they accept the cars anyway because that way they have a "large inventory" to attract prospective buyers to come in. He said they frequently get actual reasonable offers and will call the sellers to see if they'll take it. The contracts tho have incentive in that if the seller gets multiple offers and doesn't agree to sell within X months, they have to come get their car and pay storage fees.

Reactions: Zoe

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Sadly, the very top end of the market seems to be dominated by the 7-day online auctions like Bring-a-Trailer. The bad thing is that they are designed to benefit the seller only and the buyers must assume a great deal of risk. I've been eyeing some other 80s icons as well (everybody at our local shows has seen my cars and don't stop to talk or ask questions anymore so its time to add something different). Every time something I'm interested in pops up on one of those auction sites, either a) I can't get away from work in the next six days to travel to go see it or b) if its close enough to drive and by some miracle I have the time, the seller outright refuses to show it, knowing there are plenty of high-stakes gamblers in the market who will bid sight-unseen. Sadly, a Chrysler Conquest with the rare optional sports suspension package just sold in Austin for $22,750 this week. I'm prepared to spend a lot more than that, but I didn't bid at all because the seller wouldn't show it last weekend.

I don't know about you, but I've already learned not to trust my computer screen. Last car on BAT I inspected locally, they'd posted a narrated video gushing about how well the car drove, but when I drove it, it would hesitate every time I stepped on the gas. You couldn't tell in the video because you can't see that two or three seconds elapsed from when he mashed the pedal to when it took off. You have to experience it for yourself. I once drove three hours to look at a Mustang that was supposed to have been freshly repainted in dark green (think Bullitt except it was a 67, not a 68). The pictures looked great on my laptop but when I got there it looked like a bass boat in person. When I queried the seller, he admitted that they'd "taken some liberty" with the factory color and used a larger metal flake than specified to "make it pop". Burst my bubble anyway. But either his camera or my screen didn't pick it up, or I wouldn't have wasted a whole Saturday. I've have just decided that I will not board a plane to go inspect a car on an auction site because there's too great a chance I'm just wasting time and money and then I'll have to fly home and bid against high stakes gamblers who are assuming its as perfect as the pictures show. I'll only go so far for an auction site.

I would likely fly though if I thought I had a reasonable chance of negotiating a price while standing in front of a car, but sadly, people are getting to where they are scared of selling a car themselves anymore. Social media and all we're fed only bad news. That anecdotal information does not reflect actual statistical risk but because you saw three stories worldwide of private sellers getting bad cashiers checks or being robbed, you think you're next. I believe that's why sellers are more and more turning to these auction sites where they just post a bazillion photos and a video or two, then put it on a truck across country after the check clears, never even meeting the buyer.

A good option though you should look into classic car dealers and consignment dealers. I had sold a 68 Mustang a few years ago through a consignment dealer and recently one of our local members sold his mk2 through the same one, Streetside Classics here in Fort Worth. You have to pay probably 20% more, but at least they have business hours, you can go inspect it, they'll usually put it on a lift for you, plus they handle all the paperwork, arrange shipping, etc. From the seller side, we didn't have to deal with tire kickers, no-shows, etc., they take the risk of bad checks, do all the marketing and so I though it was worth it. I have friends who've purchased cars there and I believe I'd buy from them too if they find something I want.

But don't hesitate to make an offer at these consignment places. When I consigned that Mustang, the manager told me that most of their sellers were actually asking way too much but they accept the cars anyway because that way they have a "large inventory" to attract prospective buyers to come in. He said they frequently get actual reasonable offers and will call the sellers to see if they'll take it. The contracts tho have incentive in that if the seller gets multiple offers and doesn't agree to sell within X months, they have to come get their car and pay storage fees.
Yeah, on my search for a mk2 ive found multiple scams, and many overpriced cars.Ive had bad experiences even with consignment companys. I caught the seller in a lie that they didnt even disclose to the consignment company, so even thats not safe and youre paying a big premium. i dont dislike the idea of a restoration project if thats more feasable of an option for entry to mk2 ownership. im just worried about parts availability, and I at least want something I can drive while restoring it, so nothing that'd need major mechanical repairs/parts sourced.

I feel like Im a few years too late and what I thought was a reasonably priced dream car is now nothing more than a pipe dream 鈽

Registered
Yes BaT has raised the end price of super clean cars by a long way in the last 2 years. But I am sure there is still many in fair condition available in various locations.
You have not put in your Location, nor potentially the distance you are willing to travel for one. And price range. I am sure very decent cars are available between 10-20K.
As many have stated, it is (still) cheaper to buy a nice car than restore one.
This site still have occasionally some for sale thread, and you seems to already have a good start on various web site.
Good luck in your search, some here have found very nice cars at resonnable cost in the recent years (take a look in the introduce yourself sub forum).

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Yes BaT has raised the end price of super clean cars by a long way in the last 2 years. But I am sure there is still many in fair condition available in various locations.
You have not put in your Location, nor potentially the distance you are willing to travel for one. And price range. I am sure very decent cars are available between 10-20K.
As many have stated, it is (still) cheaper to buy a nice car than restore one.
This site still have occasionally some for sale thread, and you seems to already have a good start on various web site.
Good luck in your search, some here have found very nice cars at resonnable cost in the recent years (take a look in the introduce yourself sub forum).
I really hope thats the case! Im in the Chicago Suburbs, and honestly Id be willing to travel anywhere in the country if its the right car at the right price. Im looking to spend anywhere from 10-15k obviously depending on condition and records, but ill definitely do some more exploring around the forum now that Im here and see what else I can find. Thanks for the info!

Founding Member
You should be able to get a really nice one for $10 to $15K with some patience. At this point, no, not a show stopper, but there are some well-loved survivors with decently shiny, original paint in the the 100 to 150K mile range that should be priced about there. And really that's the sweet spot. If you spend the $30K plus for the sub 50K mile time capsule, then you won't drive it; it'll sit in your garage, you'll back it out into the sunlight once a year and look at, but mostly you'll just drive something else cheaper or at least more common to the car show while you brag about your real trophy back home (馃槼 guilty of some of that myself). Besides, the low mileage ones often racked up those miles in the first two or three years and have been in storage for the last 33. They're fine if all you do is look at them, but start driving them and all the dried out seals start leaking. The one that was driven and enjoyed, probably started leaking two decades ago and may have already had a bunch of seals replaced.

But at least the seals can be replaced. For the most part, all the mechanical parts to keep these on the road are still available. Not in stock at the local autobone or ohreallys but no more than a few days away on the internet. Most essential wear parts are common to lots of other Toyotas and even other makes which helps with availability. We are tho starting to see a few of the supra specific mechanical parts getting scarce, but then we find workarounds. What is impossible to find and makes "restoration" impractical is cosmetic. The main reason the 100K mile survivor is under $15K while the time capsule is near $40K (over with auction fees) is because its essentially impossible to "restore" the 100K mile Supra to the same level. You could find one with paint chips and door dings and spend a few thousand dollars to repaint it, but if all the trim and weatherstrip has sun damage, then those pieces are always going to look tatty next to the shiny new paint. And while about once a year one of our members has a bad accident that results in a pretty decent "parts car", nobody is wrecking those time capsules anymore (and if they did, all of us vultures would have it picked clean within literally hours of posting and you probably wouldn't even see it.)

As for buying one you can drive while you do a light restoration, you've kind of got it backwards. You can get alternators, bearings, bushings, gaskets and seals, etc. but not trim. If you find one that looks great but needs an whole engine overhaul, that will be far more doable than to buy one that runs great but looks a little tired. You can overhaul an engine and have it back in a leisurely month of weekends, but if it needs even one piece of trim, you could be hunting for that piece for decades.

Case in point, I started looking for a spare black dash pad in 2005 or 6. Back then there'd be three or four posted for sale each year in various colors, but I missed most of them because somebody else would be the first to reply, in one case sold within like two minutes. Over the years, I managed to buy a few, but each had some flaws. For example one had been protected by one of those carpet toppers, but it had damage from those gummy velcro squares that held the carpet topper in place for 30 years. And one got damaged in shipment. My leather and vinyl repair guy said they were a lost cause because they were too crispy. He explained that he can repair a vinyl dash that's only a few years old but his repair method won't bond to 30 year old dried out vinyl. After like thirteen years I finally got one that I felt was good enough to install in my own car.

Since you want an original Supra, my advice is buy one that you are going to be happy driving it in the cosmetic condition that its already in. Inspect all the trim made of plastic, rubber and vinyl very carefully because you can't get that stuff anymore.

Reactions: '82supra

Premium Member
i always tell everyone mine is always for sale, and you being from chicago its not a long drive.
i don't NEED to sell it - but i don't spend a lot of time on it any more either.
I think i had it out 2 or 3 times this summer. other then that it sits in the garage.
its not perfect, but not many are anymore, I still do work on little things and upgrades from time to time, just not as much as i used too.

the biggest issue will be getting all the spare parts back with you, they are literately all over in my garage and shed.

Happy hunting and welcome to the forum !
Tim

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks
i always tell everyone mine is always for sale, and you being from chicago its not a long drive.
i don't NEED to sell it - but i don't spend a lot of time on it any more either.
I think i had it out 2 or 3 times this summer. other then that it sits in the garage.
its not perfect, but not many are anymore, I still do work on little things and upgrades from time to time, just not as much as i used too.

the biggest issue will be getting all the spare parts back with you, they are literately all over in my garage and shed.

Happy hunting and welcome to the forum !
Tim
Thanks for the reply Tim! Glad to be part of the forum. If youd be willing to, id love to at least come see maybe even take a lil test drive of your car once the weather gets better. Ive never even seen one in person, so getting a chance to check one out in person would be awesome. Plus id love to pick your brain about ownership and other stuff since im sure you can shed some light on how realistic/unrealistic my ownership dreams are. Send me a PM if youd be cool with setting something up!

Registered

(you may have already checked:) '84 Atlanta

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
(you may have already checked:) '84 Atlanta
I did actually call and have a vehicle inspection done on the '84 in Atlanta. Unfortunately the owner was being super shady and lying to the dealer and me, it doesnt have any service history, its been repainted, and its got the L-type interior which Im not nearly as keen on as I am the P-type seats. Ill definitely reach out to the owner of that 84' in the post you sent above, so thank you!

Registered
It's always good to at least once a day, hit the "New" button to see what came up in the last day. :cool:

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Any idea on what he's selling it for? I dont have a facebook so I cant see any more pics or details. I suppose I should make a burner fb account for supra hunting 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
It is in Louisiana.
It does not seems major rust.
Hatch looks nice (rare), but it, was probably repainted, as the banner is a tiny bit too high.

Registered
Now there are very few instances of the mk2 in good condition. They may be after an accident or slightly flooded. My friend last year bought a mk2 for restoration. It was flooded, he checked flood damaged cars with the help of some service, like car vin check. But that didn't bother him. The work was carried out for more than a year and continues to be carried out. If you want to face this, you can find a couple of options

1 - 19 of 19 Posts