Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Toyota Supra (5 speed)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I have finally found time to start working on my 1982 Supra again. I bought it in 1986 from Wietzes Motors, a Toyota dealership, when I moved to Toronto and it was my daily driver into the early 90’s but has been pretty well stored since then. The car has an interesting past as it was originally owned by Eppie Wietzes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eppie_Wietzes) and Eppie had installed a HKS Turbo (partial stage 3) in it. I had it dyno’d in 1990 and it was good for about 275hp at the rear wheels. It’s now time to get a few things fixed on it and start enjoying the car again. I’m hoping I can pick a few brains in this group along the way.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Ottawa-er and Toronto-er lol ! I'm in the process of rebuilding my long term project as well (1985 MKII). You'll find the info on this forums is excellent, although a lot of the old (knowledgeable) guard don't seem to frequent here as often. Anyway, good luck with your build/resto.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Crocket, how much work is required to get yours back in shape? Mine is mainly needing some cosmetic work (rims are a mess) and a few annoying things like the speedometer and fuel gauge not working. It needs new tires also, but not much out there in the way of 14” 225s. It’s mainly stock other than the engine :) but I did have the old side moldings removed and filled when I had it painted about 6 years ago. Just curious also, have you found a good shop manual (print or scanned)? I’m looking now because my Haynes manual doesn’t cover much of the stuff I have to fix.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Very interesting car. With both a history and a pretty rare performance option.

You will have to document the engine on a thread here. While Turbo 5M and 6M's used to be popular, they have fallen out of favour with the youth of today. Extracting power from more modern engines was a less expensive route for a long time. I think with even these engines getting harder to find and more expensive, we will see a shift back to 5Ms.

They are a pretty motor and certainly bring me back to the 80s when this was the way to go for more power.

Hardly anyone posts articles or pictures on 5MGTEs any more. I would love to see your car in detail.

Welcome to the forum.

Dale

Reactions: 1982 Dragon

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi Millerrdee1, engine is in a thousand pieces spread throughout basement and garage. Car is in really good shape though with low mileage (130,000km or so) but has been parked for about 20 years now (long messy story). All to say it needs needs a lot of love now. I'm tackling the engine rebuild currently, but transmission and differential will probably need to be removed and cleaned up/refreshed too (looking for some local places to work on those items currently). As for manuals, I have the Haynes and Chilton's and a photocopy of a factory manual. I went to a Toyota dealership (possiblyt Bel-Air in Ottawa, can't remember now it's been so long) and borrowed theirs to photocopy. If I'm not mistaken the factory manual has been uploaded and if you do a search on this forums can probably find a link to it (don't think it's a pdf though, it's been uploaded to a website and you view and print the pages as you need them).

Hi Dale! Long time no talk. If memory serves me correctly we got our regrind cams at the same place in BC. Still got them, hopefully will be installing them soon lol.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Hi Millerrdee1, engine is in a thousand pieces spread throughout basement and garage. Car is in really good shape though with low mileage (130,000km or so) but has been parked for about 20 years now (long messy story). All to say it needs needs a lot of love now. I'm tackling the engine rebuild currently, but transmission and differential will probably need to be removed and cleaned up/refreshed too (looking for some local places to work on those items currently). As for manuals, I have the Haynes and Chilton's and a photocopy of a factory manual. I went to a Toyota dealership (possiblyt Bel-Air in Ottawa, can't remember now it's been so long) and borrowed theirs to photocopy. If I'm not mistaken the factory manual has been uploaded and if you do a search on this forums can probably find a link to it (don't think it's a pdf though, it's been uploaded to a website and you view and print the pages as you need them).

Hi Dale! Long time no talk. If memory serves me correctly we got our regrind cams at the same place in BC. Still got them, hopefully will be installing them soon lol.
hat’s right! I was glad to see you back on the forum.
I’ve got the original TRDs still and am slowly putting together parts to rebuild a 6MGE.

I’m almost retired now so I hope to have time to work on it seriously.

I wondered what happened to your car. If you’re like me, life gets in the way, but I’m not getting rid of it.

im looking forward to seeing more of your car, together or not

dale

Reactions: AJ

·
Super Moderator
7,767 Posts
1982 is pretty special in many aspects, including service manuals.
In 82, I think there was 6! In 83 and forward, they got merge into one.
Here is a link to the wiring diagram book:
That is the only one from 82 I have.
I do have the TSRM and WED for the 85/6
TSRM: here
EWD: link below in sign.

Reactions: AJ

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1982 is pretty special in many aspects, including service manuals. In 82, I think there was 6! In 83 abd forward, they got merge into one.
Here is a link to the wiring diagram book:
That is the only one from 82. I do have the TSRM snd WED for the 85/6
TSRM: here
EWD: link below in sign.
Thanks RedP85, I do love the car. I have had it for 36 years now and it is still a joy to drive. I have to store it every winter and it never fails to start on the first turn of the key also.

·
Super Moderator
7,767 Posts
We are owners for the same time !
I'm from Montreal.
I've edited my post above for clarity.
Doing a linked post with a phone is not the best for clarity
nor to be error/typo free !

·
Registered
667 Posts
hat’s right! I was glad to see you back on the forum.
I’ve got the original TRDs still and am slowly putting together parts to rebuild a 6MGE.

I’m almost retired now so I hope to have time to work on it seriously.

I wondered what happened to your car. If you’re like me, life gets in the way, but I’m not getting rid of it.

im looking forward to seeing more of your car, together or not

dale
It's good to be back!

P.S. I'm building a 6MGE too. We should trade notes sometime offline.

·
Founding Member
6,698 Posts
Welcome. Certainly will make an interesting exhibit at local car shows after you get the wheels refinished and other minor cosmetics you mentioned that you were going to work on. You should make up a display board to explain the period turbo conversion and the Wietzes connection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome. Certainly will make an interesting exhibit at local car shows after you get the wheels refinished and other minor cosmetics you mentioned that you were going to work on. You should make up a display board to explain the period turbo conversion and the Wietzes connection.
Definitely a goal of mine.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
So jealous of the turbo kit. Bad ass 82. Love these in black. Bring it out to a Toronto meet sometime :)
Hit up George at Raptor Racing. He has the same turbo kit on his 6M. Stupid rare now days, you guys will love each other haha

Curious why your car appears to have an antenna on the back? 82-83s got one built into the windshield.
Appears to be aftermarket or for a CB perhaps?
Rest of car looks super clean. Rare in Ontario!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So jealous of the turbo kit. Bad ass 82. Love these in black. Bring it out to a Toronto meet sometime :)
Hit up George at Raptor Racing. He has the same turbo kit on his 6M. Stupid rare now days, you guys will love each other haha

Curious why your car appears to have an antenna on the back? 82-83s got one built into the windshield.
Appears to be aftermarket or for a CB perhaps?
Rest of car looks super clean. Rare in Ontario!
I bought it in 1986 when I moved to Toronto from Vancouver. As far as I know the antenna is stock. Its a power antenna although it's not working at the moment. I didn't see anything embedded in the windshield so it may have been an early 82 MkII model - maybe they changed over later that year. The turbo is a lot of fun - I remember pulling onto the Allen Expressway with a Mustang 5.0 GT in front of me and his buddy behind me. The front guy nailed the gas heading down the ramp from Lawrence so I thought I would check out how the Supra performed. I passed him and I'm sure he's probably still scratching his head trying to figure out how that happened :)

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Amazing. I would love that motor in my car.
The antenna thing is strange... pretty sure all of these had glass ones. That's a mystery...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought it in 1986 when I moved to Toronto from Vancouver. As far as I know the antenna is stock. Its a power antenna although it's not working at the moment. I didn't see anything embedded in the windshield so it may have been an early 82 MkII model - maybe they changed over later that year. The turbo is a lot of fun - I remember pulling onto the Allen Expressway with a Mustang 5.0 GT in front of me and his buddy behind me. The front guy nailed the gas heading down the ramp from Lawrence so I thought I would check out how the Supra performed. I passed him and I'm sure he's probably still scratching his head trying to figure out how that happened :)
Amazing. I would love that motor in my car.
The antenna thing is strange... pretty sure all of these had glass ones. That's a mystery...
I'm guessing they put the windshield embedded antenna in when they went with the digital gauges. Mine has the analog gauges. Is your 82 setup like that?

·
Premium Member
8,784 Posts
Here's most of the separate manuals for the '82 model...
Not shown is the Auto Trans manual... Product Material property Font Electric blue Advertising

1 - 20 of 20 Posts