Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I’m Alex, I live in the highlands of Scotland and I just bought my first CelicaSupra. I’ve been on the lookout for one for a couple of years, so been a long time coming. I bought the car at a classics auction. It’s very clean and has a very large history file. I wonder if any previous owners are here or if anyone knows the car? - B644 CEW.

I got the car on Saturday and I’ve done a few hundred miles already. Hasn’t missed a beat. Spotted a few little jobs to do to improve it, but nothing major.

Engine bay is very clean and underneath is well sealed / clean. But since I live in the highlands I’ll be steam cleaning and updating the sealing.

Problems I’ve spotted are a crack in the corner of the windscreen, some rust bubbles along top of windscreen and inside the sunroof, will get these fixed. Will try to treat the windscreen crack as I’m sure it’s very hard to find a replacement in Europe.

Would love to connect with other UK owners and will also be looking for a list of must to checks / upgrades to improve reliability / longevity.

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Tire Land vehicle

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Hi and welcome!
Do a search with "UK", and sort by date, there is still a couple of members that post from time to time. I think the most active one is Celicasteve68,

@Celicasteve68
@Konrad
@tedmartin04
@Gargravarr

·
Founding Member
6,590 Posts
Welcome aboard. I don't know if its really "typical" but I enjoy a couple of British car restoration shows (Car SOS, Wheeler Dealers) and it sure seems like every car they restore involves replacing or fabricating more than 50% of the sheet metal. And our Supras would seem to rust right before your eyes from condensation if you merely breathed on them on a cold day. Thus finding one in your area that isn't already swiss cheese was probably quite a feat. Congratulations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Alex,

I had the windscreen replaced 6 years ago. It was sourced by the fitter from Pilkington Automotive in Queenborough, the website can be found HERE.

They said back then they could supply direct with a lead time of 8 weeks but I decided to engage the services of a professional fitter.

The total cost back then was £342. The glass supplied had the blue shading across the top and the fitter added the lower black strip.

I contacted Pilkington direct and asked about keeping patterns for future requirements and had a reply from their friendly customer services "As a general rule of thumb we wouldn’t get rid of any tooling and so you should still be able to source a replacement through us."

All the best in looking after your new arrival.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome aboard. I don't know if its really "typical" but I enjoy a couple of British car restoration shows (Car SOS, Wheeler Dealers) and it sure seems like every car they restore involves replacing or fabricating more than 50% of the sheet metal. And our Supras would seem to rust right before your eyes from condensation if you merely breathed on them on a cold day. Thus finding one in your area that isn't already swiss cheese was probably quite a feat. Congratulations.
Perhaps not 50% 😂 - but yeah we have a major problem with rust. It's a mix of the damp/wet weather (climate + proximity of sea) and the fact they salt the roads in winter. In my view they oversalt especially up here in the highlands. We do have a lot of twisty roads though and black ice is very common in winter at night/in the morning. Whenever you buy a classic here the first thing to do is steam clean and underseal the chassis. Up in the highlands I see 2-3 year old pick up trucks chassis starting to rust quite badly because modern factory hardly puts any protection on and a lot of owners don't have a clue. I think there are parts of the US that also have these kind of rust issues, maybe more in the North? There was an entertaining US show 'rust valley' something - a couple of crazy dudes trying to restore classics and sell them, but they guys were really funny.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Alex,

I had the windscreen replaced 6 years ago. It was sourced by the fitter from Pilkington Automotive in Queenborough, the website can be found HERE.

They said back then they could supply direct with a lead time of 8 weeks but I decided to engage the services of a professional fitter.

The total cost back then was £342. The glass supplied had the blue shading across the top and the fitter added the lower black strip.

I contacted Pilkington direct and asked about keeping patterns for future requirements and had a reply from their friendly customer services "As a general rule of thumb we wouldn’t get rid of any tooling and so you should still be able to source a replacement through us."

All the best in looking after your new arrival.
That's really good news! I'd be very happy to find a new replacement vs. something from a breakers. One of the things I love the most on classics is when you find them with good glass. That's the thing that stands out a lot on show cars at the shows!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I think there are parts of the US that also have these kind of rust issues, maybe more in the North? There was an entertaining US show 'rust valley' something - a couple of crazy dudes trying to restore classics and sell them, but they guys were really funny.
Oh you cruel, cruel, man!

Rust Valley Restorers

They're Canadian. In British Columbia, in the Rocky Mountains.
I really like Americans, but I am NOT one.

This is similar to a conversation I had a year ago with a Scotsman who had retired from the RN. I said 'Oh, you used to be in the English Navy?' I got a friendly, but curt 'The ROYAL Navy, NOT the English Navy!' 🤣

Nice looking car.

Dale

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh you cruel, cruel, man!

Rust Valley Restorers

They're Canadian. In British Columbia, in the Rocky Mountains.
I really like Americans, but I am NOT one.

This is similar to a conversation I had a year ago with a Scotsman who had retired from the RN. I said 'Oh, you used to be in the English Navy?' I got a friendly, but curt 'The ROYAL Navy, NOT the English Navy!' 🤣

Nice looking car.

Dale
Ah apologies, I didn't look at your profile. I was under the impression the forum was mostly US based! Yes, Scotland, England and Ireland being different countries is a big deal over here! :)

Rust Valley Restorers is the one, really enjoyed it !

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome congrats! And that Alpine is SO RAD
Thanks! The GTA is a '89 so a bit newer than the CelicaSupra. The cars could not be more different to drive or work on. The GTA is very stiff on the roads around me and the dynamic of the cars are very different.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts