Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,659 Posts
WELCOME!
"Beast?" 5 MGE's respond well to a free-flowing intake. Headers add power above 4,000 RPM.
Turbo charging is a major project.
We can answer most of your questions. Ask away, Jay.
Engine swap? Yes,we have that information,too. (y)

Look in the FAQ and other sections because there are a LOT of ideas for you. Knowledge IS power.

·
Founding Member
6,291 Posts
Welcome. Pretty much every thing that could be done to a mk2 to make more power or otherwise improve performance has been done by someone on here. Just be advised if you read a thread that's ten or fifteen years old that sounds like a good idea, click to read more recent posts by the person who is advocating for a specific modification to make sure their car is still up and running. You don't want to copy somebody who blew their engine or worse in the months afterward. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
  • Well thank you y'all for the warm welcome ,,mofros ain't so warm on FB ,,I'm not new to cars just supras got my p type for 500$runs n drives albeit crappy I love it I want drift capable power so I'm going to be reading over the 5m block/ 7m rotation assembly combo so any input would be appreciated

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought the purpose of the rotation assembly swap was to get a solid bottom end to build upon as I've read the 5m sucks and will blow up under extreme conditions what would you do I'm not interested in a 2jz or a ls swap and my p type has 249xxxmiles it won't last forever

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
I can count the number of running built 5/6m's on one hand. ...it would take both hands and feet to count the number of mothballed projects or scrapped motors after it was found to be a waste of time trying to Frankenstein one together. The 5m is fine to a point, but it's not rods/crank that are the weak point in that bottom end.

Maybe worth you defining your goals, budget, and abilities - then we can suggest some next-steps or likelihood of success.

--billyM

·
Super Moderator
8,222 Posts
What's a "beast"? A 5M with a small turbo like a CT26 run at low boost, the right engine management/tune, and a good MHG can be pretty reliable. Then after you spend thousands doing that it will make slightly more power than a $500 2JZGE :D If you think you're going to get 500+ hp out of 5M. Yeah good luck with that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not touching my original motor 😂 I'll hunt yard after yard from Columbus to Columbia 😁,, my intent is a car competitive with the Camaro I'm building now so 500 hp tops extremely aggressive handling ,,my budget isnt unlimited as I do have a family first n foremost but I make a decent living turning wrenches and understand something's take time it's taken me bout a year to gather up all the stuff I needed for a gutted ttop z28 I'm a carburetor n head gaskets away from that ...I want somthing to be reconned with.🤔 something I'll enjoy building and driving for years to come

·
Founding Member
6,291 Posts
The 5m isn't a bad motor, rather its limit is aftermarket support. Back in the day, a guy by the name of Russ Matusavich was consistently running low 10 second quarter miles and occasionally breaking into the 9s with a 5m block. I spoke to him at a drag strip about 20 years ago and asked what all he had done. It sounded like the money he spent would have probably bought an entire 40' container load of used 2jz-gtes from Japan. It isn't that there's inherent flaws in the 5m; Russ said he had it up into the 500hp range in the 11s before he started breaking stuff consistently but to go any faster he had to start having a machine shop fabricate parts, could no longer use any Toyota transmission or just about any of the rest of the driveline. The main problem with the 5m is there's zero aftermarket support and its just far, far cheaper to swap in a 2jz engine as a starting point. Its the same reason every hot rod, street rod, rat rod, etc. has a Chevy small block under the hood. Builders can pull up the Summit Catalog online, choose from hundreds of options and have their parts delivered and installed before the next weekend's races and not have to pull a 2nd mortgage on their house. The 2jz has at least several sources of aftermarket support and its so popular a swap into just about everything that it has become sort of the "Japanese small block".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We
You've got an expensive uphill battle ahead of you - best of luck!

--billyM
well sir I read the forums and searched for parts n pondered it way into the morning you weren't lying about availability of parts can't even find decent body kits so it seems a swap will be happening thanks for the input

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 5m isn't a bad motor, rather its limit is aftermarket support. Back in the day, a guy by the name of Russ Matusavich was consistently running low 10 second quarter miles and occasionally breaking into the 9s with a 5m block. I spoke to him at a drag strip about 20 years ago and asked what all he had done. It sounded like the money he spent would have probably bought an entire 40' container load of used 2jz-gtes from Japan. It isn't that there's inherent flaws in the 5m; Russ said he had it up into the 500hp range in the 11s before he started breaking stuff consistently but to go any faster he had to start having a machine shop fabricate parts, could no longer use any Toyota transmission or just about any of the rest of the driveline. The main problem with the 5m is there's zero aftermarket support and its just far, far cheaper to swap in a 2jz engine as a starting point. Its the same reason every hot rod, street rod, rat rod, etc. has a Chevy small block under the hood. Builders can pull up the Summit Catalog online, choose from hundreds of options and have their parts delivered and installed before the next weekend's races and not have to pull a 2nd mortgage on their house. The 2jz has at least several sources of aftermarket support and its so popular a swap into just about everything that it has become sort of the "Japanese small block".
  1. I see this after reading all night so I guess I will just have to suck it up n find a 2j,, because I want build something to compare with the 383 stroker that's going in my z28 .

·
Premium Member
5,659 Posts
You CAN keep it Toyota if ya wanna,but there are a few swaps that work. You want a BEAST.
That depends on your budget. There is a caveat: The drivetrain is not happy with more than 400 WHP. The 5 MGE is just 150 at the flywheel. See the blown up parts associated with a LOT of WRHP.
There are build threads that address the extreme HP of other engines and ...drive trains. Drifter?
That will take to searching. YES,it has been done!
We have those right here!
You will need a TON of of torque to drift. A supercharger or a turbo charger. LARGE displacement engine? No,it probably will not fit into the engine bay area. Even a 302/351 is a real squeeze. Exhaust manifolds and steering box clearance issues. Mike STUFFED a LARGE engine into a Supra.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts