Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 83 Supra and I was wondering if anyone in here ever got in a bad front end collision before in one of these cars. My wife won't let me drive the car with our baby even in the child seat.

The car seems pretty safe but she's not budging. It's not an unsafe car, is it?

·
Founding Member
6,436 Posts
So it doesn't have airbags and antilock brakes, but point out to your wife that what the Supra does have is several more feet of forward crumple zone than any sports car or sedan sold today. That long nose is like carrying your own six crash barrels around with you. :eek: We got a fireman (AJ) on our list who can give you all the poop :wink: you need to strap that baby in the mk2 so good the little tike'd survive a space shuttle re-entry.

Phil D.

·
Premium Member
5,576 Posts
Rabid Chimp said:
Welcome to the forums. Time for a divorce!
-Aaron
PRIORITIES!

Actually, there's plenty of room to live.

Everyone should believe in something - I believe I'll have another beer.

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Beefy, PM me or email me and I'll give you the details on anchoring a car seat properly.

If needed ASAP you can go to a DOT approved installation site, check with baby stores locally, local Police Depts and I believe Chyrsler dealers??

Pinchin' A Loaf said:
I just bought an 83 Supra and I was wondering if anyone in here ever got in a bad front end collision before in one of these cars. My wife won't let me drive the car with our baby even in the child seat.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Rabid Chimp said:
Welcome to the forums. Time for a divorce!
Bwahahahahah! Aaron, the fortuneteller.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Pinchin' A Loaf said:

soooo, she wont let you take the baby in there.... wheres the problem????

jk, i think the MkII is one of the safest old cars out there... i recal reading accident ratings on these old tanks once.
IIRC, they got 3/4 stars on front end collisions, as per the older, preairbag rating system.

·
Registered
99 Posts
AIRBAGS ARE FOR PUSSIES!! :shock: :shock: J/K, i belive the car is safe. I transport my 1 year old baby sister in it all the time. The only thing that i think my little sister disagrees on is the fact that the car has a lot of interior noise. She PLUGS her EARS!!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
according to the manual I have there is an anchor point 4 a childs car seat.

Its located in the hatch. toyota would know exactly where it is.

I put my 18 mth old in the front seat (no airbags) and put my wife in the back.

No problems.

Anyway....if she still don't budge.....The peice and quiet without anybody naggin you on how fast you took the turn or...damn it will you slow the hell down....what a comfort :lol:

later

·
Registered
984 Posts
Dude,
Take a look at my wifes mini-van and you'll quickly agree that a Supra is not a place for kids unless they are turned upside down, shaken, the hosed-off.
Enjoy your SPACE man.
DJ

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I was in a very bad accadent in my previous 85' If it wasen't for my arm being out the window I would have walked away without a sctatch. 65mph mutiple role over and the car held up very well structurally.

I've got pictures maybe I load them up eventually...

will

·
Registered
634 Posts
Everyone,

Shes going to read this and he will not be allowed to come visit us anymore..... :shock:

Most cars today are pretty thin metal or plastic combinations. These cars are very heavy and do have the rear wheel drive factor.

Better safe then sorry I say but, in reality no car is actually safe and I would say that the supra is just as safe as the others.

Give her time she will eventually realise its safe.

But then again maybe she doesnt trust your driving while in it?!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Tell her that airbags have decapitated more kids than they've saved. Anybody under 100 lbs shouldn't be anywhere near an airbag (especially 1st gen airbags). Children that require child seats should be strapped in the back seat anyways.. away from airbags. And since mk2's have no airbags.. they're completely safe. :D

Regards,
James

·
Registered
99 Posts
Supra GTR said:
Tell her that airbags have decapitated more kids than they've saved. Anybody under 100 lbs shouldn't be anywhere near an airbag (especially 1st gen airbags). Children that require child seats should be strapped in the back seat anyways.. away from airbags. And since mk2's have no airbags.. they're completely safe. :D

Regards,
James
I agree with this, and if they dont decapitate, they are sure to cause things like concussions and major bruises. My friend was in an automobile accident and she walked away from it with a concussion and bruises all a long her face and her forearms.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the good advice everyone. I appreciate that. My wife still isn't convinced, but she's letting me keep the car.

Women....can't live with em - can't shoot 'em

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I was about to post the same thing as GTR, you would be having to put the child in the back seat if you had airbags. If anything it makes it safer becuase you dont have to reach over your sholder to fuss with the child becuase you can put the child right next to you. There are mounting points in the back of the supra for a child seat, you can also have sholder belts installed in the back, may cost you a few $$$ but it would make you and your wife feel safer putting a child in the back, especially after they outgrow the baby seat.

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Probably the best way to secure a forward facing child seat in the rear of a MK2 is to either use the top tether strap down to the cargo floor and/or to install the factory add-on shoulder belts.

The problem with the RA/MA chassis is the lap belt originates from the side not behind the seat, which makes it difficult to securely anchor a child seat. Even using your full body weight to push down and rearward when installing a child seat I have still found too much forward movement.

The solution I found was to use the factory add-on shoulder belts and a forward facing child seat that has high side bars to enable the seat to be pulled rearward and down at the same time. Experimenting is the best way go to Target, Walmart , National Chain and try different car seats in the parking lot. My kids are long past car seats so the models I used are obsolite.

Any movement more than 1/2" - 1" forward and sideways is too much. There are many DOT approved child seat installing stations nationwide which can be found from the NHSTA site or child safety sites and local Police Depts.

DONT forget child seats are for children at least to 4 yrs old AND 40 pounds BUT many children need to be in car seats even up to 6 years old depending on weight. Booster seats need to be used to 9/10 yrs old as well.

AND Lap only belts should only be used in a last resort or emergency. Pelvic injuries in children can be life threatening from using a lap only belt as a result of a high speed impact or accident.

Any questions please PM or email me direct.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Just found this stuff out today when my wife was trying out our car seats in my Supra. We couldn't get anything to tighten down good enough, even with piling those "swimming pool noodles" on the seat first as a spacer. The seat moves too far forward. The seat cushion itself is too high where it meets the backrest, so the child seat won't even go back far enough. It's quite frustrating, especially when she keeps badmouthing our Supras as "old, useless cars". I'd just like the ability to be able to take my oldest son with me if I have to (he's almost 3).

About the only thing I can come up with is grabbing a rear seat belt out of a Chevy Nova/Toyota Corolla, since it's a shoulder belt and roughly the same as the Supra rear belt. Then maybe figure a way to use the top tether strap over the rear seatback to a securely bolted bracket. Just looking for ideas, as I'm sick of my wife running down the Supras and saying I should sell them all. Grrrr.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Having 4 boys the youngest still in a carseat i have had all 4 buckled in at once

Put the carseat in the middle of the backseat and use both outside seatbelts to buckle the children and, The carseat in no ones moving trust me! I feel safer with the kids in my car instead, Of the wifes new car! just because of the cage and yes the backseats still go up and down!
:D

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a rear strut bar as an added measure (for side impact and as a tie-down). Besides improved handling/stability, it's a good excuse...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts