Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys !

Before I get into the heart of this thread, I think a little background on my car experience is necessary. Living in a very urban area and being from a single mother home where my parent didn't drive, let's say my exposure to cars has been nonexistent.

So it wasn't until I turned 23 that I got my license ( read very recently ! ), because I could commute very easily in my town and everything was near.

Before getting my license, I have a friend who I tagged along with to a few Supra meets and who was great with giving me various pieces of advice left and right on Supras and cars in general. Going to meets, looking at restore projects on the forums and talking to MKII owners from various clubs ( Including George and Sylvain from here , and another member with a black MKII from Mass ) really hyped my appreciation for this beautiful car.

So being a rookie driver with zero car knowledge, I figured my best bet would be to patiently build my road experience with a beater car and also do all my homework on the forums. After looking at alot of stickies from various forums and important threads, I came to the realization that they were way too technical for my understanding and that I really need to start from the grounds up.

So what I'm asking you guys is not to spoon-feed me information, but maybe give me some pointers of material to read and look at to grasp the basic concepts of cars/performance cars/supras and MKIIs.

I'm looking foward to getting my own Supra ( a black 85p with digital cluster if anyone cares), but I know better than to put one in the hands of a driver who can't handle it yet.

Regards,
.nox !

EDIT :

Wow I just noticed my join date ... "Oct 2006" and this is my first post ... *sigh* ..

·
Registered
90 Posts
have a look around in the different sections and look for stickies, usually stuff thats gold is stickied for all time. best tip i can give you is to make your car awesomely stock first, fix anything thats broke, upgrade at the same time if possible. it's silly to be taking a car that has neglected maintenance and go and make it faster so the worn out brakes work even less > you know what i mean. tons of parts for this car, but it's not as easy as walking into mopac and building a mustang off the shelf or going to speed tech and getting screwed around for easy to buy honda parts.

welcome! sort of.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Probably the best way to learn about cars is to hang out in the garage of someone who has a ton of experience. ( and patience for all your questions) One thing about cars that's certain, you can only learn so much from the books. It's a hands on sport.
Most of my knowledge came from taking a job at a dealership doing oil changes and using my free time to shadow the techs. Now I do cars for a living.
Good luck.

D

·
0 Posts
welcome

i would agree, the mk2 tsrm would help greatly...if you can, order a haynes manual and read it in your free time (that is what i did) it will give you a much more clear idea of what you will be getting into and will help you familiarize yourself with the car and the parts...

start slow, i started with simple oil changes, then moved onto changing my air filter, then my plugs wires etc....these things are very trivial but if you practice turning bolts you will be more comfortable...then start to understand what all the parts need to do and how to function and you will slowly learn to troubleshoot. it builds off itself...take your time and take it slow.

i wish you the best just research what you can and hang out with friends while they work on cars maybe take a class....there are ceveral little things about cars that people need to know in order not to fuck up like....stipping spark plug wires....using the proper wrench on brake lines and not over torquing, compressing brake pistons, stripping the oil pan...people do these things. you will be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts