Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a MK2 Supra (1985) and I might have made a mistake. So long story short, I was going about my day and went to go and fill my tank up. Well I guess I must’ve used premium because I have an engine knock. I’m worried about what to do and if there’s anything I can do. Please help I don’t want to loose this car over something so stupid like this. Thank you anything helps! Video attached.

Video of the knock

·
Registered
1984 P-Type
141 Posts
Are you sure it's in the engine and not say the alternator or power steering? It's hard to tell in your video what the sound is.
I wonder if you may have a stuck or dirty hydraulic lifter? Can you pin point where the sound is coming from?
How does the oil pressure look on the dash?
I used a mechanics stethoscope to pin point mine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure it's in the engine and not say the alternator or power steering? It's hard to tell in your video what the sound is.
I wonder if you may have a stuck or dirty hydraulic lifter? Can you pin point where the sound is coming from?
The knock is near the timing chain, and the belts, the belts are in good condition just got em changed, I also am worried that it might have something to do with me power washing the engine bay last night cause near the spark plugs it still looks a bit wet. She sounds good revving, oil pressure is good, though she also smells like gas a lot when revving, I’m not feeling any misfiring cylinders, she also shudders when I turn her off. She shifts good the clutch is like butter, the battery doesn’t die at all. I feel it might be the fuel yknow?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I might go and grab some power steering fluid really quickly see if that is part of the problem

·
Registered
1984 P-Type
141 Posts
The lifter oil supply comes from the valve train oil pressure regulator just behind the timing belts. It's known to get clogged or a partial flow and may cause a knock in the lifters. It's the red piece in the picture. You can service it by takiing it apart and cleaning it.
Gas Nut Metal Fixture Engineering

Also since you say there is still moisture on the engine it may be causing a miss-fire.
Do you have access to an air compressor with a blower or a shop vac that you can use to blow the moisture off the lifter valley of the head and the spark plug boots? Even a can of computer air-duster will do.

In addition blow off the fuel rail and make sure there's no moisture on the fuel injector connectors.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The lifter oil supply comes from the valve train oil pressure regulator just behind the timing belts. It's known to get clogged or a partial flow and may cause a knock in the lifters. It's the red piece in the picture. You can service it by takiing it apart and cleaning it.
View attachment 20674
Also since you say there is still moisture on the engine it may be causing a miss-fire.
Do you have access to an air compressor with a blower or a shop vac that you can use to blow the moisture off the lifter valley of the head and the spark plug boots? Even a can of computer air-duster will do.

In addition blow off the fuel rail and make sure there's no moisture on the fuel injector connectors.
Can you do me a favor, if you can I would really love it if you could shoot me a message so we can get on a video call so I can understand where this is and so I can service it

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you do me a favor, if you can I would really love it if you could shoot me a message so we can get on a video call so I can understand where this is and so I can service it
View attachment 20674

found it

·
Super Moderator
7,921 Posts
Unless you got really bad gas, it's ain't that.
You mentionned belts were just replaced. If that is shortly before the noise appears, they might be too tight, causing bearing stress/failure.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Shit, I used to run 104 in mine when I went to the track, fuel isn't what's causing that sound, that's for sure. You say you pressure washed the engine area, I'm thinking you may have a bad tensioner bearing now. Easy to test, remove the belts and see if the noise goes away. If it does go away, install one belt at a time and test, when the noise comes back, you know what is causing it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For educational purposes, higher octane fuel is to COMBAT engine knock. Using regular 87 octane would make you more likely to have a knock than higher octane. In fact, I would recommend you use fuel without ethanol added (usually going to be 91 octane or higher) if they add ethanol where you live. And engine knock from fuel comes from predetonation. It won't be consistent.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
something else for sure, I use to run 93 before I found out that I could run 89 its fine
I found the problem, too thin of oil, idk why I didn’t think of it before, I put full synthetic which was way to thin into her and that was what started it. Anyway, I have another question, after I get my oil changed what Oil Stabilizer should I put into her? And also I’m not sure on her oil type

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Synthetic oil isn't any thinner if it is the same viscosity grade as the original oil you had before. What was the viscosity grade of the previous and synthetic oils? Eg 5W30

Reactions: Flyin' Hawaiian
1 - 20 of 58 Posts