Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

So I thought I trusted this garage so I went ahead and ordered that light control switch with the wiper assembly etc and just got it in the mail. Spent 2 hours at dealer cause this garage couldn't get me in until next week. So the dealer puts it in and my headlights are still messed.
This is what they are doing:

Turn the switch on the off position which should lower the headlights but instead they keep going up and down out of sequence of each other. So I unplugged this relay under the hood and crank them up by hand and they work fine (headlights). They work fine if you click the switch all the way up... the headlights stay on and the pop ups stop going up and down. So anyway, I didn't mess around at the dealer (I am still pretty upset at this garage for telling me to order this part I didn't need :SM130 (1):.) So I go right back in the garage at the dealer and the mechanic and I have a chat. Apparently they don't have records for my year, the oldest they got is for 84's. So we did a few checks on this headlight relay. Tested it with ohm meter and then hooked up some by pass wiring to the battery and then to this relay. As soon as he touched the prongs inside this plug coming out of the relay the thing sparked. So it has like no resistance or something in it... so is this relay messed?

This is what I am trying to describe basically.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYO...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

My question, assuming this is hopefully all I need now, did this part ever change from 82? Will all 4,5 years work on my 82?

Just weird it sparked when we went to test it and the ohm readings were a bit off... but then again the dealer was testing it based on a 84 instruction book.
Thanks guys let me know if anybody has run into this problem

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
84/85 differ from 82/83 in regards to wiper/headlight controls and many other features. You should have posted here for a good, used one. and relevant info----- BUT...is that the real problem. Some of these brainiacs here can help you and you can search here for other posts on this problem. I have various relays, so PM if it seems to be the issue. But do post on wanted for the 82/83 wiper/headlight stalk.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guys just to update I took mine out and it's last bit of numbers is 14040. The rest are kind of scratched out.
I hope this is all I need. I just went out and messed with it for a bit... still nothing. Like I said when I move them to the down position the start to flutter up and down. Headlights work when switch is flicked all the way up. Do you think it may be the motors? Or just this relay? I checked the wires, the are ok. Just a bit oily... but then again it may be all shortened out inside.
Thanks let me know

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wipers are fine... never an issue. Just this relay...
But thanks that's what I thought... too many changes in 84. So this one on ebay won't work I imagine.
Thanks I will keep you in mind if I need one

·
Registered
607 Posts
did you check to the wire going to positive battery, i had the same problem. wire looked fine but it wasn't. i took it apart re stripped it touched it the pos and guess what my headlights went down problem solved. i have relay for 82 if that doesn't work.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No...

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh and guys, just went back out and messed with it again. I noticed that when this relay is plugged in and I go to hand crank the headlights down, it of course doesn't let me right? Ok, but I noticed that when it freaks out and starts clicking that the sound is coming from the relay box itself. Turn the crank to put them down and it makes a buzzing noise. Turn the knob to raise them even more (even though they are up) and the thing catches and pops up and down and then back up.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did you check to the wire going to positive battery, i had the same problem. wire looked fine but it wasn't. i took it apart re stripped it touched it the pos and guess what my headlights went down problem solved. i have relay for 82 if that doesn't work.

What do ya mean? Like my positive battery cable?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
As I suspected, the garage has no clue and are just parts tossers - toss enough parts at it and somewhere along the line it should work. I'd be making a real fuss about the labor charges and the parts cost to get you nowhere. Like refund! Anyway there are quite a few components in the system that controls the headlights - relay under the hood - control box (blue) under the dash up high near the steering column. also the fusible link box near the battery + terminal plays a role. I had a similar problem years ago and it turned out to be one of the fusible links in that black box - so I'd start there. Paying other people to do the work is not a good idea unless you have very deep pockets. Get the manuals, the tools, the free advice and get to work.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks bob, just sent you an email regarding that relay part.
I fried that fusible link trying to boost it back a few weeks ago when I replaced the alternator... the fusible link is brand new that was put in by this local garage.
Hopefully like I said in the email you are around next week and if you have the time we can tackle this problem. But ya thanks for the idea, I did spend a lot of money at this garage not to mention picking up this switch on ebay. Talk to you soon
Thanks again for everything.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big shout out to Bob who helped me trouble shoot this problem... unfortunately we could not solve this issue.
We checked all relay's and checked continuity of fusible link wires etc. We think one of the headlights motor wires may be fried or melted etc.
Headlights work fine, motors go crazy on the off position.
We have no clue why it does this... everything checked out ok

·
Registered
607 Posts
did you try replacing motor of the one that is flipping?

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Both them flip up and down on the off position
We tried new motors for both sides... they keep flipping (turning) up too on the off position
I have no clue why it is doing this. I hate hand cranking them :eekfacepalm:

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Thanks Josh. In trying to figure this one out folks should know the history. Headlights worked properly until - 1) dead battery (presume the result of bad alternator) 2) attempted boost from a running car 3) fried fusible links in main fusebox beside battery 4) replaced battery, fusible links, and alternator 5) headlites work as normal in all switch positions EXCEPT full 'OFF' position where they just go madly up and down. 6) substituted as many components as possible (multi-switch on steering column, relay on pass. side fenderwell, both headlite motors, relays in main fusebox) and checked continuity of fuses and fusible links and inspected c/b of blue control box on steering column. No change in behavior! My suspicion is that somewhere in the harness there are a couple of wires melted and providing a ground where there should not be any. But electrical stuff is not my best area. Suggestions welcome.
Bob

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Bob,
Yup guys exactly what's going on (better description, thanks!)
Where in the line would it be fried though, or is it? Headlights get power and motors obviously getting power... I'm stumped. :duh:

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
I had same exact problem on 82 from same wrong polarity jump start. The blue relay normally near colum on 83 up is behind glove box somewhere on 82s. Need to trace wires...

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Those replacment motors that are now on the car,,
are you sure they are for the '82/'83 model?

Now this may sound like a dumb question unless you own one of each.

I found out recently that useing '85 auto lock motors on my '83 causes them to go crazy.
When I tested them the first time, it popped "locked", then "unlocked", then "locked".
It only stopped when I unplugged the motor in the door. Both sides, same thing.
There's alot more going on with the '85/'86 door locks comarred to the '82/'83 ones.

It could have the same problem in the headlights motors. Who's sure?
I'm sure of this, my '83 headlights work fine. But,
I have to unhook the power to get them to safely stay up by cranking the knob.
I crank the knob too far, with normal power hooked up, and it slams down.
I learned this while changing the whiskers on my cars through the years.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pretty sure... checked continuity and replaced them with used (bob's parts) 82 motors.
Still going nuts on the off position
Obviously power is not an issue... I have no clue where it must be shortening out :duh:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts