Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever i drive with the windows open i get a nice whiff of gas...but when i close them and have the a/c on there's no smell...i recently changed a bad fuel injector cuz it was leaking and replaced the o-rings on the other 5 FI's and fuel line....but that was like 2 months ago...i looked under the car for leaks...and nothing. The car is an 83 supra p-type. Also... i see myself at the gas station probably once every 3-4 days...filling it up ...so i'm burning more gas than i'm supposed to. There is no AFM alteration. I have an OBX intake...and HKS exhaust...what could the smell be? 1 more thing...is it normal for my car to be doing 3000 RPMs in 5th gear doin 65 MPH....or is it overworking itself? and it usually runs on high water temp....like...a little more than half way between C and H...my mechanic said that its high and suggested replacing the water pump....thermostat...and timing belt....it has a new clutch and it is hydrolically adjusted...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hmm...check out my thread in the General Tech Questions forum. You sound like you have the same problem as me. The engine is running rich and you get this god aweful smell out of the exhaust...right?

Let the car idle and stand outside to see if you can smell it really bad...my car has this problem and I've been trying to work out how to solve it...my thread has some suggestions from other members which might be of help to you if you haven't already checked those area's out. :cry:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea....thats what my friend (the mechanic) told me also,....that i might be running rich....do I have to mess with the AFM to fix the problem? or adjust the throttle body?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well, this is where it gets fun. When you are running rich it can be any number of problems...

It can be malfunctioning or clogged fuel injectors, wrong fuel pressure from a broken Fuel Pressure Regulator...even a fuel leak. Could be air leaks from vacuum hoses...or a faulty 02 sensor...lots of things really.

I've inspected my hoses and air intake, they seem to be fine. My FPR seems to be ok as well...being from Aus our MK2's don't have 02 sensors or a catalytic convertor so that eliminates those possibilities...I'm thinking it might be related to my fuel injectors...either they are clogged or one or two of them is buggered. I'm going to get the fuel system checked professionally soon because this is beyond my scope...I'll let everyone know how it turns out and if I find a solution to this problem. :)

If you haven't already done a fuel pressure check, do one to find out if it's fuel related. That will help narrow it down or even find out the cause...

·
Registered
591 Posts
when was the last time you replaced your o2 sensor? to keep a working o2 sensor it needs replaced every 50-60 thousand miles. it will work after that but not very well at all. however if you smell gas out the exhaust i doubt it's the o2 sensor especially at idle because it doesn't use the o2 sensor.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use to have problem with the gas smell from the tail pipe. Strong odor at startup and when the car is not moving. Also when I rolled the widow (driver side) and sunroof even when is moving on highway. It is gone when I changed the spark plugs, plug wires, and back the timing to 10btdc. Before it was at 15btdc. Now when I check, the timing is fluctuat betw. 10 and 15 btdc. When I give it alittle gas is back to 10btdc.
Does anyone know how to increase the idle speed. I have an 85 mkii. I dont want to start a new post.
thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does your supra lack power goodfella? Could be the plugs and/or plug wires. I cleaned my engine bay one day and didn't realize my plug wires weren't pushed in all the way, so some water got into the channel and was sitting on my plugs. I smelled gas because the plugs weren't firing and that gas wasn't being consumed - it was mostly just being sent through the exhaust and heating up my cat to the point where it was orange. Once I figured out the problem, I blew the water out with an air compressor and all worked well. I'm not saying you have water in there, but it's always a good idea to replace the plugs and wires. As for adjusting the idle, there's a screw on the throttle body used to adjust the idle, with a flathead screwdriver. it's on the right side of the throttle body, on the front.

·
Registered
591 Posts
the computer adjusts the idle speed on 5ms no need to make it faster. but if you still want to it's the screw under the rubber plug at the end of that protrusion twards the front of the TB.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Juice....never thought of the spark plugs...i gotta check them then....also i know that if there's oil where the spark plugs are then u lose a lot of power....would that explain high oil pressure? i should replace my plugs? i think my cousin (who sold me the car) said that he changed the spark plugs before i bought it....i guess i'll check it...also i should change the spark plug wires? why?....thanks for replying b4.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts