Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well 2 more weeks and Ill have this engine running :)

Got a few parts I need help finding where they go.. got them in the gasket set

84 Supra 5MGE

Those are copper... and a metal ring

EDIT: 5 is the oil filler cap. Correct?
EDIT2: the diagram in the book shows most of the black o-rings. The copper washers I still have no clue.

Also another questions. The gasket that goes in-between the cam housing and the head was metal (tin). The replacement ones came felt. Do I just use the felt ones? or should I buy metal ones... Or do the felt ones go ontop of the tin gasket? I think they are called shims... I am looking in the book probably as you read this.. Just wanted a human answer :)

Thank you for all the help in advanced, Supra pros :)

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Is this an ebay kit? The colors are strange.

1. fuel rail coppers (smallest pair for the cold start, the others for the fuel rail fittings, largest for the fuel filter)
2. same
3. same
4. fuel pulsation dampener I think
5. Oil filler cap
6. rear cam tower seal
7. distributor o-ring
8. Injector o-rings (didn't get enough I see)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not an ebay kit :) Got it from Portland "Engine and Performance Warehouse"

I have more of those Injector o-rings

Thank you for all the help :)

Now with the Gasket that fits under the cam housing. Is a felt one ok? because the engine had a tin one previously. Right now I wanna put them on... but wondering if I should go look for a tin one

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
they are the cam tower gasket, search the site and you will get some results/opinions about which ones to use. Ive used both and I think the tin ones when torqued properly and in the right sequence hold up better.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The gaskets to match the cam towers to the head should be metal. Do a search on it and I believe the group for the most part dislikes the felt gaskets for that area. I just did an engine rebuild and had the same issue. I went and got a set of metal ones and installed and after 12K miles I have no leak issues with the engine.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fast reply guys, Im sitting out here working on the engine with my laptop lol.

Ill wait until tomorrow and go pick up the metal gaskets. I really appreciate all the help!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Complete rebuild, pistons/block/head/etc all machined and glass blasted.

Also 84ptype.... Copying your plexiglass idea tomorrow

Dont sue me!! hope you didnt patent that idea

1 - 10 of 10 Posts