Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you open the door of my 85 Supra, there is a black type switch on the door frame above the striker? bolt. There is another rubber cushion type button on the bottom that when pushed turns off the interior light.

I have looked online, in my Chilton book and Haynes book as well. The closest I can come to identifying it is in the Haynes that in the diagram for the door identifies it as a courtesy switch. There is a matching one on the passenger door as well.

When I remove the two philips screws holding it to the door frame, there is another switch (white plastic) within the door that this black one moves when the door is closed or opened. The problem is is that the black one has the part that catches on the door itself broken off. I am wondering if this all would relate somehow to my battery being drained issue. Meaning the piece being broken off is not allowing something to shut off completely.

Thanks for reading and any help is always appreciated.

Sean

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
The courtesy light switch is the rubber covered one, the upper one that is secured with the 2 screws is for the seatbelt. It lets the retract system in the seatbelt that the door is open and you are most likely getting out, so it tires to wind itself back up. I have only seen a few of them actually work though (even if the plastic pin is not broken off).

And it would have nothing to do with your battery draining since it only deals with the seatbelt retractor.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I double that ^ I do see a light change in the retracting force in mine....but soo little !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts