Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my problem is, fuse for tail in the fuse box located in engine bay keeps burning, my tail and side marker lights wont go on, also instrument cluster light and ac/heater control lights as well. the headlights seem to be working fine, but the tails and cluster lights seem really low in brightness.

if i put a 30a fuse it lasts for maybe a minute, as soon as i put in a 15a fuse it burns right away, also it starts to smoke inside the car witch really scared the shit out of me. :32: :32: :32: :32:

any ideas or advice will be appreciated.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pardon my ignorance, but what is a rheostat?

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
It's the little "switch" to the left of your steering wheel, it has a knob on it which when turned will dim your interior lights. I *believe* I read that it will do this sometimes when it dies, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone will chime in and confirm or deny this.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hopefully it's that and not a short somewhere around the wiring nest.
thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
If your "tails" fuse is popping, it's your front fender side marker lights 9 outa 10 times. Pull them and isolate the 12v, then replace with another 15 (NEVER 30, you big dummy) and test.

Sounds silly, but it's the reason.

--billyM

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your "tails" fuse is popping, it's your front fender side marker lights 9 outa 10 times. Pull them and isolate the 12v, then replace with another 15 (NEVER 30, you big dummy) and test.

--billyM
I'll give that a try thanks.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

--billyM
btdt. I definetly agree
for future reference to check the rheostat(aka dimmer) give it a twist if its shorted usualy it does so from being on 1 setting for a long time and burning out. If you change the setting and it stops popping fuses then you need a new 1

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fixed the problem, thanks.
it ended up being a lose wire in the kick panel.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You located the source and fixed the problem, congratulations. Any advice? Yeah. NEVER use a fuse greater than the recommended value. Find the problem and avoid a fire rather than try to close your eyes to the true problem throw a dart in hope.

Firehouse
Scott

·
Registered
58 Posts

--billyM
Hate to revive the thread, but I don't have any marker lights, and I've been all throught the dash and I can't find a single loose wire anywhere. Could it be the lack of marker lights that is my problem? I also have an 83 p-type. The problem just started recently, and the local police have had a problem with the no tail lights:eek4dance:. If there is any other advice on the subject, like maybe where the loose wire was or anything of that nature, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hate to revive the thread, but I don't have any marker lights, and I've been all throught the dash and I can't find a single loose wire anywhere. Could it be the lack of marker lights that is my problem? I also have an 83 p-type. The problem just started recently, and the local police have had a problem with the no tail lights:eek4dance:. If there is any other advice on the subject, like maybe where the loose wire was or anything of that nature, it would be greatly appreciated.
reviving an old topic that relates to your problem is a good thing, it means you searched:thumbsup:

how do you have an 83 with no side markers? your pic is too small to tell. if you deleted them by changing the front end, or covering them with newer type trim, the wiring is still there. pull the fender liner and have a look. see if the socket in dangling or cut.

·
Registered
58 Posts
reviving an old topic that relates to your problem is a good thing, it means you searched:thumbsup:

how do you have an 83 with no side markers? your pic is too small to tell. if you deleted them by changing the front end, or covering them with newer type trim, the wiring is still there. pull the fender liner and have a look. see if the socket in dangling or cut.
I have them, they are just disconnected, and the socket and wiring are in good shape. Its really starting to piss me off!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
You checked the rheostat too? Messed with the radio wiring recently? There's a wire in the car's radio wiring harness that is from the dash lights/taillights, to light up the stock radio. If it gets incorrectly hooked up to something or shorts to ground, you'll get the burned fuse and no lights. HTH

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
you located the source and fixed the problem, congratulations. Any advice? Yeah. Never use a fuse greater than the recommended value. Find the problem and avoid a fire rather than try to close your eyes to the true problem throw a dart in hope.

Firehouse
scott
amen!!!!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Any trim panels been re-installed lately?

I've been there and had to find problems like this one before.

Look for screws that are too long that might be screwed into a wire harness.
This can be anywhere.
Start with stereo installs and check the kick panel screws (left side) too.

·
Registered
58 Posts

--billyM
The left side front fender marker light wire was burnt inside the factory wrap for the wiring.....I will never doubt again.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
On another forum that I visit, someone has something like this in his sig:

We took the time to help you with your problems. Please post the fix, you'll help thousands.

Thanks for getting back to us! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts