Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to know brand, style, size, offset etc... Or getting in touch with the owner would be great.

(Black car)

Thanks,
Sam

[/IMG]

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is the reproduction (knockoff wheels) I don't remember the originals... but the knockoffs are Axis OG - Banzai.

Looks like 15x8 +0 / +25

First results I came up with

You can tell the knockoffs from the originals by looking at the lip, as well as the overall spoke length... look closely, the originals have a smooth, angled lip, the Banzai's, have a stepped lip.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Very nice!! :D I'll definitely stop by. Are you DD'ing it?

BTW It just came to me those are the Uber JDM Hayashi Street Type CR/ST (ST has a less agressive offset, as in closer to zero, the CR's are ridiculous with like -25 etc.)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice!! :D I'll definitely stop by. Are you DD'ing it?

BTW It just came to me those are the Uber JDM Hayashi Street Type CR/ST (ST has a less agressive offset, as in closer to zero, the CR's are ridiculous with like -25 etc.)

Thanks, it will be splitting duties with my truck, I just don't know everything about it yet to be a true DD, probably fine but it needs a few things working correctly-pass side mirror, heater rheo or dvv

When are you gonna make a trip back?

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Not sure yet, looks like I only have a few more weeks, and then possibly the unemployment line, and seriously looking for work in PACNW.... Nothing like necessity to push me to getting out of the bombs & bullets business. I'll miss the pay, but it'll be nice to be HOME everynight. I'm tired of travel, I wanna be home with wife, with car, and racing!!

Did I mention that I blew up my turbo again??? Oh yeah... I'm thinking it had bad seals from the get go, or at least bad bearings. I wondered why this 57 trim didn't kick like the old one, ya know hard hitting in the pants factor once I got to 3200 @ WOT. Well other clues were...20* degree warmer oil temps most of the time, and wow... lookie here, only 3, to 5k miles later and the turbo is blowing smoke like the 1yro abused to hell turbo... *sigh* If I ever do engines again.... going with 2J, AEM, and BB T4 turbos... long run = cheaper.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Thanks, it will be splitting duties with my truck, I just don't know everything about it yet to be a true DD, probably fine but it needs a few things working correctly-pass side mirror, heater rheo or dvv

When are you gonna make a trip back?
Sam! Nice car dude. Very very nice sdr. I want to see it. Saw it on craigslist, glad it went to a member.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sam! Nice car dude. Very very nice sdr. I want to see it. Saw it on craigslist, glad it went to a member.
Thanks, it drove past me, I flipped a U and tracked it down in a parking lot to get his number. It wasn't till I spoke with him that he said it was on CL-funny how things work out.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Cool wheel but stupid expensive new @ $520ea :sadbanana:
Honestly that's not too bad for a relateively rare JDM wheel with a badass offset. I mean I'm balking at spending the $675 bucks on the Rota P45R's in 17x9 & 17x9.5 +12 offset, but they're awesome, will bolt up with hub centric rings, and I can be the first idiot to try 275 40 17's on a MKII :D But Hyper Black is sexy!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Honestly that's not too bad for a relateively rare JDM wheel with a badass offset. I mean I'm balking at spending the $675 bucks on the Rota P45R's in 17x9 & 17x9.5 +12 offset, but they're awesome, will bolt up with hub centric rings, and I can be the first idiot to try 275 40 17's on a MKII :D But Hyper Black is sexy!!

Well, I thought they were rare too but you can buy them brand new at hayashiracing.com.... do some research on ROTA'S first I've read a bit about breaking on track days and pot holes...but IDK how much is really true. They are made in the Phillipines.

Later

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
..and I can be the first idiot to try 275 40 17's on a MKII
You might be an idiot, but you're far from the first...
http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/...?action=view&current=07-04-28-DealsGap-21.jpg

Well, I thought they were rare too but you can buy them brand new at hayashiracing.com.... do some research on ROTA'S first I've read a bit about breaking on track days and pot holes...but IDK how much is really true. They are made in the Phillipines.

Later
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=128233.0
Read the bottom 2/3rds of that page...
Please do not promote internet hype sprouted from a honda forum.

Daily driven, 10,000 street miles, one highway speed pothole blown 45 series tire (with no wheel damage whatsoever), and hundreds of track-day miles on mine....

Plus, know what company currently uses Rota as oem wheel manufacturer? ...toyota.

--billyM

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
How fast were they going when they hit the curb?

I've seen factory alloys (350Z, etc.) in the same condition at a few yards.

Looks like a Photoshop...

Really now, can tyres be that sticky?

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
You might be an idiot, but you're far from the first...
http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/...?action=view&current=07-04-28-DealsGap-21.jpg

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=128233.0
Read the bottom 2/3rds of that page...
Please do not promote internet hype sprouted from a honda forum.

Daily driven, 10,000 street miles, one highway speed pothole blown 45 series tire (with no wheel damage whatsoever), and hundreds of track-day miles on mine....

Plus, know what company currently uses Rota as oem wheel manufacturer? ...toyota.

--billyM
Oh SWEET, so 275's CAN fit... YAY, that's probably just the motivation I needed to keep from getting the 16x8 XXR 522's. I mean... what's the max on a 8" rim... 255 or so?, not to mention it's a 16" too...

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
How fast were they going when they hit the curb?
I've seen factory alloys (350Z, etc.) in the same condition at a few yards.

Looks like a Photoshop...
Really now, can tyres be that sticky?
1: Crash Damage.
2: Montreal autox'er, caliper was not installed correctly, and came loose, rubbing against the inside of the spokes. It created so much heat/friction that the spokes deformed as seen, but still did not break.

Now, I've seen each and every photo of broken rota's, and out of the 10 or so that float around the internet, 9 are crash or non-wheel-related failure damaged. There is one that shows oxidization near the hub where it cracked and this was due to a bad small-run batch ~5yrs ago. As I hear it, Rota immediately approached all owners of those wheels after they found the issue and they all got replaced proactively.

Anyways, they're cast wheels, they look great, and they don't cost Malloy-Money to get on your car. Want to spend $3k on forged? Rock on with your bad self. I myself realize the cost/performance ratio involved and still choose to wear "ooooh scary" cast wheels on my track car.

--BillyM

·
Super Moderator
8,561 Posts
That wheel with the twisted spokes are kind of cool looking. I don't think I've ever seen a wheel do that. It's kind of amazing a cast wheel did that. Usually cast item don't bend much before they break.

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
...goes to show the inherent over-engineered strengths built into these "cheap-ass-knockoff" wheels.

You can see the damage about 2" in on the spokes, where the aluminum actually melted and re-formed a visible lip in the direction of the twist of the wheel.

I'll note that I drove my rotas through Pensucksvania, and if those roads don't bust them, nothing will.

--billyM

1 - 20 of 22 Posts