Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here, but I am sure I will be posting alot here in the future. Well I did my rightful part and searched the forums (and it has to be answered somewhere here) but I did not find an answer. Anyways, I am planning on a 7mge or 7mgte swap into my 86 mkII supra, but will the original tranny in my supra bolt up to the new motor?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
another question, there are two cressida's at the junk yard, now since my mkII is standard tranny do i have to make sure the cressida is a standard tranny for the ecu to work right in my car?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
your question is vague. Im assuming youre going to pull a 7MGE out of the cressy and try to put it in your supra. If its a manual it will be easier, if its an auto then all you have to do is bypass the NSS(neutral start switch). Takes 5 min.

The answer to your question is no, it doesnt matter if its auto or manual. you will just have some extra plugs that will go unused if its auto.

does this help?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes sorry about being vague. I have to use the ecu out of the cressy along with the 7mge from the cressy. I just didnt know that if the cressy was auto if it would have an impact on the ecu (i think there trannys where electronic) where the ecu would mess up not sensing a tranny in my car (because mine is manual). Also I don't know if the automatic ecu would be tuned for as much performance as an manual ecu would be.

hope thats clarified a little

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
get the engine from the cressy along with the engine harness and ecu. you use your manual W58 tranny from your supra on that engine...if that engine and ecu from the cressy is an auto then when you bypass the NSS it tricks the engine into thinking its in neutral and it runs fine...then you do all the shifting with your smooth as butter W58 manual trans. from your supra!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you very much, i am sure I will have a lot more questions for you when I actually start doing this, I have never changed a motor before, but I am making great progress taking the old one out, by the way what is the NSS? Just wondering, I dont even know if I'll need to bypass it yet because I don't even know what trannys the cressy's have

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
neutral safety switch. You will also need a pilot bearing for the engine when mating it with a manual tranny if it was mated to an auto tranny

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you for your patience and your very insightful knowledge, without you guys I don't think I would be able to do this project. Now for the last 3 hours I have poured over threads and google learning as much as I can about this swap. The sticky here regarding this swap seems to suggest that it is a straight forward swap. After reading other threads I am starting to wonder if I will be in over my head when it comes down to the wiring. From the sticky created here, I was under the impression that I just swap my stock ecu with the new one and everything just plugs up fine with the new harness, but other threads seem to suggest that there is alot more involved with the wiring. Is there anyway you guys could clarify (or dumb this down) for me, or are these other threads attempting to use the stock mkII harness with the 7mge motor? I am also reading that aside of the ecu, harness and motor I need the ignitor (not sure what this is) is that true? If so is it the box that I probably thought was a coil?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm not sure about NEEDING the ignitor, but the idea is that you take all of the stuff from the Cressie and stick it into the area the same type of thing did for the Supra. That way it still thinks it is in the Cressie, but it's not, it's in the Supra. The plug on the7mge ignitor (which IS the thing under the coil like thing) may be different which is probably why the suggestion is made to get it also. It is good that you are getting a list together for things to remove, and not that you will need it for the swap but rear differentials from Cressies are usually less beaten up due to the automatic trans (which I think most did have), so if you have any noise in the rear end you might want to think about that. Also the brakes on the Cressie are bigger so look into the "big brake conversion" threads. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
When you do the swap, use a clutch for the 7MGE (at minimum just get the 7MGE pressure plate for the W58 transmission). It is a nice stock upgrade, and will be able to hold the power better. It's also a good idea to replace the rear main crankshaft seal and front transmission seal while you have it apart.

The 7MGE computer will NOT just plug into the Supra's harness. That is where you will either have to learn to do wiring, or hopefully find someone who can build you a "plug and play" harness (not cheap!). Good luck with your project though. You are already on the right track searching for the information first and asking informed questions. :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Couple things you should read, this helped me.

http://andy.supras.org.nz/
http://www.celicasupra.com/7mgte
http://www.socalsupras.com/articles.htm
http://suprasonic.org/gtestory/
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK2/default.aspx
Idea for IC
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=33632&page=11

Search around. The 7mge and 7mgte swaps are almost identical (one obviously one's turbo and one's not, different ecu's/wiring)

Andy's website will give you a good look at you're doing, though at times his information is confusing, read, re-read and you'll eventually get the basis. When you sit down and look at it, you can basically do the swap with a donor mkIII and not need much for other parts.

Wiring- I had a friend do mine, it's pretty straight forward, you get a pin-out of each your car and the donor car's ecu (a pin-out shows you what each wire is going into the ECU and if I understand correctly you just find the two that are the same wiring and then make you adjustments from there).

Oil Pump- Use a 85+ (meaning 85, 86, and so on) pan and pump. You'll probably question why, but read around and you'll see. Also since the 7m is a mid sump pan, the dipstick is setupd for mid sump, once you go to front sump you'll need to redrill a hole for a new dipstick location. Don't skip this step! You will see a identical recessed area on the exhaust side of the block for the new hole. Tap threads into the old hole and use something to seal it off.

Engine Mounts- Move the stock mkII mounts to the forward position on either side of the block.

Trans- The stock w58 bellhousing will bolt to any M series engine (5m, 6m, 7m). You pair the pressure plate, flywheel, clutch with the trans not the engine! So when you buy a clutch and pressure plate you're buying based off the trans! The 7mge 5-speed should be a w58, the 5mge 5-speed is a w58, but the 7mgte 5-speed is a r154.

Intercooler- You pretty much need to mount the intercooler with about any means that you can, then from there build a pipe between the turbo and the intercooler and between the intercooler and the intake manifold. Everyone says to hell with the mkIII intercooler, it would be a good idea to upgrade. Though I haven't put it high enough on my priority list, I just have 2.5 in intercooler pipes and a stock intercooler.

Radiator/Fans- Keep your stock lower radiator hose. But on the upper you'll want to use the 7m hose (cut to fit). You can use the stock clutch fan and either delete the fan shroud or cut bits off until the fan no longer hits the shroud. Or upgrade to something aftermarket or go to a cheap electric fan setup.
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=27287&highlight=Flex-a-lite+210&page=3
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=53510

I'm sure I'm missing some stuff. It would make it alot easier if someone just made a PnP (plug n play) write up for a 7mgte swap, though it would be tricky b/c of all the wiring/year variations.
Ex. Friend that did my wiring.
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=41954

Good luck,

Tony

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
why are yall spoonfeeding him all of this
search and search some more
if you have to ask questions then dont do the swap
i cant believe the senior members havent gone crazy with this yet
stop posting questions and start searching
its all on here i promise
they are very easy swaps

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
why are yall spoonfeeding him all of this
search and search some more
if you have to ask questions then dont do the swap
i cant believe the senior members havent gone crazy with this yet
stop posting questions and start searching
its all on here i promise
they are very easy swaps
Because someday I'm going to have enough links for all the noobs, that I can just copy and paste everything and three weeks later, they'll be like. Ok, I just finished reading. :naughty:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Because someday I'm going to have enough links for all the noobs, that I can just copy and paste everything and three weeks later, they'll be like. Ok, I just finished reading. :naughty:
i hope you know that what sticky posts are for and i have ben guilty of doing this as well bening lazy and doing the same and just posting a new thread this will not fix that it gonna happen again lol

so if your willing to post all this stuff over and over and over again then do so :32:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I'd say he is getting help because he asked nicley and is thankful for the help he is receiving. Not one smart ass remark from him. That is rare from anyone these days. So i figured I would throw him a rope.:salute:
I second that notion. I got help when I asked, though I did a lot of research, I'm just passing the knowledge.

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts