Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully one of you can help me with this...

Thanks to Leslie, I've scored a really nice 130mph gauge cluster - it will be nice to know how fast I'm going when I'm exceeding the speed limit above 85mph.

However...I have a problem.

The mileage on my car is 137,486 - and the speedo cluster Leslie sent me has 186,063 as the reading. So I completely disassembled the 130mph cluster and now have the speedometer/odometer assembly out of it.

Does anyone know if the odometer assembly inside my 85mph gauge cluster can be transplanted into the 130mph unit? If everything is linear on the gauge face between the two of them, it shouldn't be an issue to just swap them out.

[The white arrow is pointing at the speedometer/odometer assembly]

I've carefully studied the newer odometer assembly, and it cannot be taken apart to easily "manually" set the odometer reading. Toyota did a good job of making sure THAT isn't going to happen (tampering). So, short of rigging up a drill to the back of the assembly and spinning it backwards, I'm hoping that one of you have done this before.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
it's... not legal?

probasbly better to take note of the old mileage and ust work the math when you calculate what you really have.

tampering with odo's, even for what you're doing, is still tampering.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I looked it over when I traded clusters and decided it wasn't worth the possibly broken plastic. 20 year old plastic is brittle.

But then again the new cluster had lower mileage than the stock unit by about 20,000kms so It wasnt really an issue :wink:

-Wil

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slip,

I don't think so bro.

Yes, sure...it's considered tampering, however if I put MY odometer which shows the true mileage of the car inside the gauge cluster of the 130mph one...my problem "should" be solved and I'm not really "tampering" with anything, because I'm not changing the true mileage.

What I want to know is....has anyone DONE this?

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
Since you took the speedo needle of you are screwed on that one. I'd highly doubt you could get the needle calibrated to the speed. This is why they tell you to not take the needle of when installing those white face gauges. If you pry down on the middle of the shaft that drives the odometer it will unmesh the gear the drives it. You can then free wheel the #s. You really need someone to help you with this since it takes about 3 hands. I don't believe you can interchange the speedo/odometer units since they are geared differently for the speeds.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll get the needle back where it belongs...trust me. I put a little mark on the face with a pencil so I know EXACTLY where the needle was pointing.

Thanks for the advice guys! Going to give this a shot. Putting my 85 speedometer/odometer assembly behind the 130mph cluster isn't going to work...

Leslie just explained to me the same thing that you did...they are not calibrated the same...the assembly is geared differently.

EDIT:

I got it reset to the correct mileage and the assembly is all back together.

"whew"

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've recently done this swap and I accidentally moved the speedo needle and RPM needle to the point where it registered below 0 mph and 0 RPMs. All you need to do is pop the needle straight out and plug it back in. That should reset the needles to their 0 position.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've done this one, myself - Old Skool is right.

It's not as difficult as it seems.

I've even gotten the small c-clip off the rod and spun the numbers and put it back together. I'd be happy to help anyone out if they need their new cluster to match their car body mileage or their new engine mileage.

Mid '80s 300ZX had problems with their trip meters, too, and I've fixed a few of those...

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: I've done this one, myself - Old Skool is right.

DudeZXT said:
It's not as difficult as it seems.

I've even gotten the small c-clip off the rod and spun the numbers and put it back together. I'd be happy to help anyone out if they need their new cluster to match their car body mileage or their new engine mileage.

Mid '80s 300ZX had problems with their trip meters, too, and I've fixed a few of those...
That's exactly what I did. Loosened the washer (slid it on the shaft ) just to the left of the very first digit on the odometer and the wheels all slide independently to the left. Set the desired mileage and slide the wheels back toward each other so they "mesh" again. Everything lined up perfectly and I put the entire assembly back together last night.

Tonight I'll install it and (fingers crossed) hopefully all the gauges work and are accurate. TONS of screws on the back of that cluster, and getting them back where they all belong was really fun.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
ive got a semi related question... i just got a 130 mph speedo from a celica, IIRC from my last search, i can use this, i just need to swap out the tach module.

one question is, am i right? i couldnt find it when i searched this time.
second question, is it possible to remove the backing of the tach gauge and replace it with the backing from the Supra to retain the "proper" coloration of the markings??

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are right. Definitely change out the tach module. If you don't, you'll experience what I did...which is a VERY high tach reading that will make you go WTF! like I did when I first saw it.

Didn't take long to figure out what was happening though.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
thanks, i was sure i read it somewhere, but which thread, and which post... lol

i guess im parking the car for winter soon, so itll get done then :)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
dogstar said:
is it possible to remove the backing of the tach gauge and replace it with the backing from the Supra to retain the "proper" coloration of the markings??
Resurrecting an old thread :)

Yes you can swap the backing. Reg swapped the MK3 tach into the mk2 cluster and he used the Tach face from the MK3. He also used the needles. He had to rebalance them. Check his sonic site.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts