Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I'm a forensic crime scene analyst working on an old case from 1990. I'm trying to determine the year for a particular Toyota Supra.

I have several photos and I'm hoping that someone might recognize the model year.

THANKS FOR THE HELP -- it is an 1984. Case closed!

·
Super Moderator
8,397 Posts

Reactions: Tanya

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SM,

So it is a 1984? That's very helpful. Here is a question about that model: Do the headlights come on automatically when the car is started at night? (Not sure when this feature started in cars).

Thanks,

AJ

·
Super Moderator
8,397 Posts
If its stock its an 84. 82-84 rear spoiler with the 84-86 hatch decal on it only happened in 84. The headlight you have to twist the knobs to get them on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SM,

That really is helpful information for me. Thank you for your knowledge.

AJ

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
I concur with the 84 model year. Good luck with your investigation!

·
Founding Member
6,425 Posts
Now 85's had the feature that would automatically turn the headlights off after turning the ignition off but the headlights would not retract, just the lights went out. I don't remember if you had to turn them off and back on again the next time you drive but I think you did. I could try it next time I get it out of storage.

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
Look at the placard on the driver's door. It will tell you when it was built!
Poster is reviewing a case from 1990. It says that in the original post.

Now 85's had the feature that would automatically turn the headlights off after turning the ignition off but the headlights would not retract, just the lights went out. I don't remember if you had to turn them off and back on again the next time you drive but I think you did. I could try it next time I get it out of storage.
A correctly functioning system means the headlights will come back on when the key is back on. If you don't mind the lights being up always, you don't ever have to shut them off

·
Registered
304 Posts
I see what you mean T, all he has to go by are original 1990 crime scene photos. Well, as everyone has said, it is obviously an '84, so I guess we answered his question!

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Cool. Master Charge at the gas pump. That changed names in 1979 to MASTERCARD. Interesting, good luck with the investigation Sir.

·
Founding Member
6,425 Posts
I think the disco era glossy tan leather jacket on one of the investigators was already out of style by 1990 too. ;) But that poor Supra looked like it was already in pretty sad shape. If not for the Dodge Diplomat police car in the background and the ancient gas pumps, I'd have guessed the pictures to be more recent. That Supra looks more like 15 or 20 years old than 6.

But now its got me curious what it was shot with. At first I thought it looked like the police maybe had a suspect cornered and laid into them, but while there are a few holes, it looks like it mostly just made dents and knocked the paint off. Surely any police service weapon would poke holes in a Supra at short range like that. I know many of you have Supra parts cars rotting away out in a pasture somewhere. Anybody ever taken a shot at it? Oh, go ahead, admit it. 😳 We know they can't all be saved.

Reactions: racefanfoster

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the disco era glossy tan leather jacket on one of the investigators was already out of style by 1990 too. ;) But that poor Supra looked like it was already in pretty sad shape. If not for the Dodge Diplomat police car in the background and the ancient gas pumps, I'd have guessed the pictures to be more recent. That Supra looks more like 15 or 20 years old than 6.

But now its got me curious what it was shot with. At first I thought it looked like the police maybe had a suspect cornered and laid into them, but while there are a few holes, it looks like it mostly just made dents and knocked the paint off. Surely any police service weapon would poke holes in a Supra at short range like that. I know many of you have Supra parts cars rotting away out in a pasture somewhere. Anybody ever taken a shot at it? Oh, go ahead, admit it. 😳 We know they can't all be saved.
Phil,

It was multiple shotgun strikes. Small pellets. Not fired by police.

Thanks,
AJ

·
Founding Member
6,425 Posts
Thanks. That seems more logical now.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Bummer, I missed the fun/pictures.

Reactions: supra8215
1 - 20 of 20 Posts