Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having issues with my power steering system. When I turn the wheel the pump makes a HORRIBLE sound. Like a dying cow.

Rightclick save as for a short video of my issues

I just replaced the PS pump so that is not the issue. This started happening before I parked it for my conversion.

Anyone have this problem before?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
the bearing might be shot on the PS.... have a friend turned the steering wheel and check the PS bearing with a long screwdriver making it a stethoscope... check also you fluid level

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Is the steering wheel hard to turn? You might try checking the vacuum assist device or the vacuum lines that are connected to it and see if there's a problem in that part of the PS system.

Dave

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Dave A. said:
Is the steering wheel hard to turn? You might try checking the vacuum assist device or the vacuum lines that are connected to it and see if there's a problem in that part of the PS system.

Dave
actually... the vacuum connected to the PS pump is just there to aid the idle... it is a switch that gives more air to the engine if the PS is turned while the car is not moving... it helps keep the idle up so that the engine won't die if the extra added PS pump is working while the car is just standing still... I have been running my MK2 without the vacuum connected and it is not making any troubles at all...

check if the pulley is not bent for a bent pully will make the PS bearing wear more and finally growl as hell... I have seen it and went with 2 PS until I finally got a nice PS pump with a straight pulley

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is harder to turn the wheel.

There are only 2 air hoses going to the resivoir. They are for the Air Control Valve. I didnt think they did anything but increase the idle if you turn the wheel when idling. I will check it tomorrow.

Thanx

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
just covering the basics here, you didn't overtighten the belt right? If you push on the belt in the long section it should deflect about half an inch. I'm sure you know what your doing but an overtightend belt would cause your symptoms.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Sweet! I love to hear problems get resolved.

I remember replacing the ps pump in my old supra and remember it was expensive....

will

1 - 10 of 10 Posts