Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Celica Supra
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just finished replacing the master cylinder and booster bled the whole system except the clutch. And took the car out for a cruise to celebrate having power brakes again. About 5 miles in I came to a right turn and as I was pressing the clutch in it fell down and white smoke came into the interior through the steering column. After this the clutch was super low but still worked so I pulled the car off the road and checked in the engine bay and didn’t notice anything wrong. Called a mechanic friend and he told me to try to drive it home and pull over if it happened again to get it towed. On the way home not only did I not experience the issue again but the clutch started to feel normal again. Any ideas? Everyone I’ve talked to thinks it might need to be bled but no one can seem to explain the smoke.

·
Registered
13,204 Posts
Sounds like you potentially found/made a leak in the clutch system that sprayed onto something hot. Look over the clutch lines and slave cylinder and let us know what you find...

--billyM

·
Registered
1985 Celica Supra
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found what caused the smoke turns out previous owner had wired the cooling fans in something on the steering wheel and while replacing the booster I essentially flattened the wire against the frame.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle
The wire was brown and coming off of this thing on the steering wheel. Not really sure what this is but if anybody could let me know that would be great

·
Registered
13,204 Posts
Those look like the main ignition switch contacts opposite the key cylinder?

You're going to want to use a relay under the hood STRAIGHT from the battery, and only the coil in it energized by whatever source/switch you'd like.

...also look for any other wiring the previous owner added and assume it's about to SET YOUR DAMN CAR ON FIRE - because it likely is.

--billyM

·
Registered
1985 Celica Supra
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so now that the wires been removed from there shouldn’t have to worry about it affecting starting? Also is there a relay you could recommend to me? Need something to wire my coolant gauge into

·
Registered
13,204 Posts
If you removed any of the 4 displayed wires in that last photo, you'll certainly run into starting/running issues. You'll want to reattach that and then trace the electric cooling fan wiring back to where it ties into the body harness and disconnect it there.

Relay - just a standard 30a automotive relay and mount will be fine (you can get it at any auto parts store).

--billyM

·
Registered
1985 Celica Supra
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you removed any of the 4 displayed wires in that last photo, you'll certainly run into starting/running issues.

Relay - just a standard 30a automotive relay and mount will be fine (you can get it at any auto parts store).

--billyM
Oh no didn't remove anything as it's seen in the picture. I did remove a brown wire sloppily tied onto the wire in the circle which was the one that fried. As for the relay sorry but I'm new to working on cars wiring could you possible guide me through it a little bit more. What should I be wiring the relay directly to the battery?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts