Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's my situation. As some of you may know, I got my supra last week Monday. I want to put in an aftermarket radio. Problem: The Sony aftermarket that was installed was installed improperly. No wiring harness, they just cut the wires. So, I have a plug that's just hanging, wires connected directly to sony wiring harness wires, and the speaker wires were connected through an amp... A crappy amp. Basically what I'm asking is this: Does anyone know how to wire a pioneer DEH-34 radio in to an 85 Supra? The speaker wires on the car side were connected through an amp, and I don't know which ones go to which wire on the harness. The other wires (positive, ground, dimmer (I think)) are all connected through the wiring harness for the Sony deck. I am hoping to do this maybe tomorrow or Friday, and am going to check Pioneer's website (if such a site exists) to see if I can find anything out there. Help if you can, I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
If this helps, its form my 82 wiring diagrams:

Yellow/light blue- constant 12v
Grey- Ign 12v
Brown- ground
Red/white- stock amlifier power (from head unit)
Brown/red and Brown/white- rear right speaker wires
Brown/black and Brown/yellow- rear left speaker wires
Violet/white and Grey/black- front right speaker wires
Grey/red and Violet/green- front left speaker wires
Light Green/black and Light Green/red- subwoofer wires

Couldn't tell you whats + or - w/ the speakers, cause the diagram doesn't say, and I replaced all my speaker wires.

Hope that helps

Christian

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
honestly, im going to tell you what i tell everyone else i help in such a situation...

all the wires that are connected to the sony plug, just cut off at the sony plug, and tape the ends off.
make sure they wont short anything, and leave them be.

now, go to radio shack and buy about 30 bucks of wire and some crimp on ring terminals, you wont use it all, but i find i always need wire around the house.

run one 12 or 14 gauge wire from the battery + terminal in through the firewall, and under the dash (ziptie it up away from the steering and pedals) and into the console.
take a black 12 or 14 gauge wire, and crimp a ring terminal on it, and screw it onto the metal radio support after scraping a bare metal spot on the support.

these are your constant power and ground wires.
you need another wire for ignition power, this one, id suggest finding a grey toyota wire.

just twist and crimp your deck harness wires with the wires you installed, and if you go constant to constant, and ignition to ignition, ground to ground, the deck should fire right up... its that simple :)

run your own speaker wire, its much simpler than using the harness wires when theyve been butchered, and its usually better wire anyways.
keep all your wires under the console, and under the interior rocker covers, itll keep them safer.

you can also get crimp on blade terminals from radio shack and hook your speakers up properly.

ive done about 15 installs on cars with hacked harnesses, and this seems like a lot of work, but its simpler and easier to do, than twisted and bent into some pretzel shape trying to squeeze into the console, then using a multi meter to figure out which wires are hot and when.

if you wire it properly, your always going to know what wire does what, unless you forget, lol.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh boy... wires... yikes. Well, I personally think I'm going to go with christian's wiring diagram thingy because I have the wires labeled on the old buick wiring harness, and I can go with those and the above wiring and there's a 50/50 chance they will be right, or backwards, in which case I switch + and - and I'm set. I should go do that, wish me luck. Thanks again guys! I'll let ya know how goes it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
After having to deal with the wiring nightmare in my dash (hacked), I recommend doing it the "run all your own wires" method. Plus, he's right when he says the wires you put in are going to be nicer. At very least, not 20 years old.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, what I ended up doing, is cut the wires right at the plug for the aftermarket Sony tape deck, and match colors with my Pioneer wires. Everything worked, except for the rear speakers, which I found were disconnected both up front and in back, and rather than pissing my time away trying to reach my arms into the rear speaker holes, I ripped apart the rear side panels, giving myself easy access to speakers and dangerous sharp objects. I diced myself up good, but I ran new wires for the rear speakers, and installed my JL 12" with my Boss 800 watt amp. I haven't really turned it up, as it was 11:30 in the p.m. when I finished. All I have left to do is go to the local ripoff stereo shop and get myself a fuse, which was misplaced when I moved last. Everything is put back together, and I think this is the best stereo installation I've done yet, no wires chillin' all over, no blocks of wood to hold in my sub, etc. I appreciate everyone's input, thanks again. MK2Racer, you could also call me :dumbass: :drink: :twak: lol I love these things.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
glad ya got it in, its a good feeling, seeing a finished install isnt it :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heck yeah, I love it. The best feeling is when I get out of my car and my nose itches for 30 minutes after turning off my stereo. That thing shakes my car :twisted:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts