Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure what to do!! i just blew my motor and not sure what i should do next. it's a 6mge and when it blew it seized, and seeing as how the 6 mge's are becoming harder and hard to find would like to rebuild but not sure if this is still a possibility? is their any way to figure out if she's savable with out tearing it down?

... any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. thx

·
Registered
622 Posts
you could....
A- get a jdm 6mge engine from rabid chimp, over 1k dollars IIRC

B- assuming it is a crank/rod issue (gotta look inside to know) get a 7mg or 6m crank and swap it in. (must use the 5/6m parts listed below)

C- if the whole motor needs replaced minus the head, get a 7mge or gte shortblock. Swap the 7m pistons with either your used set or a new/used set from a 5mge. Use your timing accessories from the 6m (front and back covers), intake manifold, crank pulley, and the old head if it is reusable or just another 5mge head. If using a 7m block search for the dipstick relocation writeup here- celicafanatic just did it and has the correct size drill bits for sale ($5+ whatever shipping is), jbweld the old hole and seal it all up. Use your current oil pump and oil pan with a 7m block, check the old oil pump for any damage or signs of wear, if any red flags arise get a new one. Mark from Vancouver toyota is a member here and can guide you in the right direction for buying the right parts, no matter what you decide to do. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum, DylanM :salute:

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
If you get a 7MGE from a Cressida, you don't have to swap the oil pan, pump, or drill/relocate the dipstick. Might save you some time and money there, and make a replacement engine easier to find. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the great info gonna start tearing it down and see whats salvageable and go from there... feel much better knowing that i have quite a few options depending on the extent of the damage. as i get into it i'll let ya know what i find expect the worst hope for the best lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so to start things off am either going to need a new head or gonna have to drop some serious money at the machine shop... the #4 cylinder spark plug hole was stripped out some time ago and i bought a repair kit and that held but as i was starting to pull stuff apart i noticed the kit had gone to hell and a new kit will no longer work. :( so now not even sure if its worth tearing this whole thing down and having to fix all the problems or if i should just start fresh and see if i can't find a motor in good condition(thinking mainly if when it seized if it damaged the block i'd be lookin at having to replace block and head!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts