Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok a lil background when i bought my 82 Supra it was originally gonna be full drag. I removed the power steering and now thing's have changed and I need a manual steering rack. Does ANYONE have any idea where i can get one *aside from a junkyard ive searched all of them here for 2 months* and the SteeringStore.com is now saying they no longer have a celica manual steering rack. Any help is greatly appreciated. BTW I live in indiana.

[/b]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Blazin,

Even though a manual steering rack is shown in the shop repair manual, I have yet to see one on any Supra. I haven't seen one on any Celica as far as that goes. I have looked at literally hundreds of Supras in junk yards in the last year because I needed a manual setup for a project car. No luck. If you don't mind doing a little engineering, there are a lot of light weight manual racks from a variety of Japanese cars. One of the simplest is Mazda. You will get a 4 to 1 ratio instead of the 3 to 1 (approximately) that the Supra power rack has. You will need the additional leverage because the Supra front-end is relatively heavy. There is enough lateral movement in the Mazda rack, coupled with the slightly shorter steering arms on the hubs of the Supra so that you can get the turns that you need. The Mazda unit would be very borderline in being strong enough in respect to the cross-section of the tie-rods.

My project uses a 6mge engine with W58, but not the MkII chassis. The tie-rods are matched in length to the A-arms in the project car, which are so long that I'm having a tight squeeze fitting in the Supra engine. To make things fit (and to keep the original tie-rods in place so as not to affect the geometry) I am resorting to a late eighties Audi rack, which pivots the tie-rods from near center-point.

Here's hoping that you have better luck than I did in finding the manual rack!

Bobby L.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help Bobby. But as far as that goes what car did you pull your rack out of?? As far as machining or anything thats not a problem for me. Thanks again

·
Registered
34 Posts
Blazin, The rack came from a mid eighties Mazda 323 if I remember right. There is a white sticker on the middle of the rack, about two inches wide. In large bold print is the letter "P." Along the bottom of the sticker in bold print are the letters "NSK." Along the top of the sticker are the numbers 386718. In the middle is "BF67-R0056." I am pretty sure the same rack is used on other models/brands. The cars are plentiful, so look for one in a junk yard that has the engine already out and is very clean (the one I pulled looks nearly factory fresh, complete with a very nice rubber boot around the pinion/steering shaft.) If you take along a good tie-rod tool, it takes only about ten minutes to pull the entire unit. The physical dimensions are pretty close to the MKII, but considerably lighter weight.

Bobby L.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once more thank you Bobby me and a friend both need to get to a junkyard this week so hopefully I'll either know what's goin on or have a better idea. Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts