Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

41 - 60 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Junkie said:
Greg....looking thru your pics,never have seen a gas "drip" cover before,what's up with that.
I bought it from the Griot's Garage catalog. Just slips over the lip of the filler neck. At 10 bux it was a no brainer.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Greg G said:
I bought it from the Griot's Garage catalog. Just slips over the lip of the filler neck. At 10 bux it was a no brainer.
The very definition of A - N - A - L :facesjump

Greg's is the finest unrestored vintage MK2 I've ever seen....you guys who missed out at the last PA meet and new guys attending will be in for a treat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
pdupler said:
He is. He's doing "research." Where better to find out about mk2 Supras than right here. Bet he already knows how to use the "search" button. Welcome Craig.
I'm also doing some "reseach" over at BarelyLegal.com.

To answer Greg's question, the guy wrote the whole article for me, so basically, I get to just sit back and goof off.

Seriously, Greg did a fantastic job putting a whole bunch of information in one place so that I can publish a really informative article on these cars. We're going to be publishing it next month in the Buyer's Guide section of Hemmings Sports and Exotic Car.

Basically, you Supra geeks aren't going to learn much, since you guys already know what there is to know about these cars. But we write these Buyer's Guides for the people who may have been thinking about one, but aren't sure what to look out for when they get ready to purchase. We try to detail year-to-year changes and problem areas as well as possible.

While I'm on the subject, any problem areas you can point me to on the transmissions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
pdupler said:
There's enough info on here to write a whole BOOK on the mk2, buyers guide, racing history, aftermarket, etc., tho obviously not organized. One thing we've never been able to get tho that the power of a magazine like yours might be able to wrangle out of Toyota is production figures. With all the old muscle cars, they can always tell you how many were produced in what color with what options, etc. The mk4 guys have some better info than we have on their production, but all we know is total US sales figures for each year (still somewhat cloudy on the 86 half-year). We don't know L-type vs. sport models, sunroof vs. hardtop, etc. That would be good to include in your article if you could get it.
Chances are that I won't be able to get that detailed info in time to finish up the article, but it's a good thought. I'll contact my folks at Toyota and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Greg G said:
Tranny probs? C'mon Craig itsa Toyota fer christ sakes! They have NO problems.

They get whiney with old age, but the same cld be said about our wives.
You missed your calling as a Toyota salesman.

I think I've got a plaid sportcoat you could borrow. You'll have to be responsible for your own white belt and shoes.

·
POTATO
17,220 Posts
VespaFitz said:
While I'm on the subject, any problem areas you can point me to on the transmissions?
The 2nd gear synchros are supposedly the 1st to go, which happened to me in my 1985 Supra @ roughly 200,000 miles. Some people say it happens sooner, but the tranny I have now is well over 200,000 miles with no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tanya said:
The 2nd gear synchros are supposedly the 1st to go, which happened to me in my 1985 Supra @ roughly 200,000 miles. Some people say it happens sooner, but the tranny I have now is well over 200,000 miles with no problems whatsoever.
Ah, that's the kind of info I'm looking for! Thanks Tanya.

Is it easier to service the tranny or to go out and find another one?

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Tanya said:
What she said; if you are running stock power through a W-58 - they are virtually bulletproof! Original clutches also seem to last 100,000 miles plus if not abused too badly.

·
Founding Member
6,291 Posts
Not heard too much about supra tranny trouble, probably no more problematic than other types of cars. The differentials tho can get whiney, even with low mileage. Symptom is an annoying whine usually somewhere between 60 and 75 mph. Very common, particularly the 4:30 ratio rear ends in the 84+ manual transmission cars. They will last 300K miles with the whine, but its damned annoying. Requires replacement of the internal bearings, about $175 in parts plus labor, usually about $500 to $600 total, a considerable chunk of change. Potential buyers should be sure to test drive the car at highway speeds, not just around the block.

·
Registered
8 Posts
pdupler said:
Not heard too much about supra tranny trouble, probably no more problematic than other types of cars. The differentials tho can get whiney, even with low mileage. Symptom is an annoying whine usually somewhere between 60 and 75 mph. Very common, particularly the 4:30 ratio rear ends in the 84+ manual transmission cars. They will last 300K miles with the whine, but its damned annoying. Requires replacement of the internal bearings, about $175 in parts plus labor, usually about $500 to $600 total, a considerable chunk of change. Potential buyers should be sure to test drive the car at highway speeds, not just around the block.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Greg, Congrats! I saw water on the ground and would have guessed that you would not have even brought the car out! Almost a deal breaker, I'm sure!

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
pdupler said:

You also have to consider that most peeps back in the mid 80's were pretty skeptical about synthetic lubes. The 2nd gear synchro tends to go first on the W58 trans. since that's the gear that gets hammered the most. The hammering combined with using conventional gear lubes tends to make this problem show up earlier. Using modern synthetic gear lube and treating the W58 with respect can generally provide trouble free performance for many years. The same can be said for the rear differential.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
OK Ive just read Craig's rough draft... all Im going to say is I think he's done us all very proud. The article reads very nicely.

I still have to triple check it for accuracy, but Im very flattered that he chose to keep much of the words I prepared for him.

Its going to be a LONG six weeks waiting for this issue to hit the newsstands! :facesjump :zzzzz:

41 - 60 of 216 Posts