Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car has started playign up the past couple of days.

When 'cold' (its still 25 degerees c here around 80F??) starting the car seems to have no power when u reach for the gas pedal!

If depressed in a quickish fashion the car hesitates and stops even though the motor is still engaged in first and doesnt rev out. get back off the gas then back on and it seems to have power coming on in waves

E.g i get some torque from idle to 2grand then it fades off then comes back on strong again at 3grand but there is a major lull/hesitation at 4grand

Once the car warms up a bit the hesitation seemed to fade for a while. But now it seems like im stuck with it once the car is warming up even.
only appears to be in first and second ( dont really take the other gears out that much) and it doesnt happen once the engine has warmed up.

Im thinking fouled plugs cauz it is running a bit rich, but this problem only suddenly happened a few days ago....can anyone else help me out here?

ta, Glen.

·
Registered
792 Posts
maybe just some bad fuel? Did it start around the time you filled up last?
Could also be a leak in your intake tube between the MAF and Throttlebody, or maybe a vacuum leak.
Worst case scenario would possibly be the crank key stripped and balancer is movin' around, but I'd doubt that one. There seems to be an epidemic of this problem in the past 2 months though, so I thought I'd just throw it there...
Good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello,

I had similar symptoms when I swaped motor and the problem was the timing was off. I realize the problem goes away as it warms up but the timing is worth checking.

Good luck,

Hosam

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Timing is well advanced but i havent had this problem happen before.

Just had the crank swapped because the keyway was stripped, so that is definetly working fine.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I dunno if you guys have it over there, but if ya have EGR's, a weak spring in the EGR could also cause ya to have some hesitation...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
He has no EGR... I know this because I removed it. :)

The fact that it's only happening when the engine is cold is an important clue. It must be something to do with the cold start injector and/or the temp sensor(s).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts