Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :)

First of all, great site. When I was first considering buying my car, this was one of the first sites I found for my research, and it has been incredibly helpful.

A little about me . . .

I'm a (almost) 24 year old from East Texas. I manage a resteraunt, play on my computers, and work on my cars. I have had many cars over the years, and only my Mustang satisfied me ('67 coupe, Boss 302, now dead due to a drunk driver plowing into it in a Wal - Mart parking lot).

Several months ago, my girlfriend dropped me off at work (my license was suspended at the time). After I went inside, I looked back out to see some strange old man leaning down in the window of my girlfriend's car and talking to her. I went back outside to see what was going on. It turns out that he had a parts car that he wanted to sell her, in case she ever needed parts for her car (an '88 Nissan Pulsar). She was really polite to him, and got his number, not expecting to ever talk to him again.

As fate would have it, a month or so down the road, the transmission went out on her little pulsar. After calling around to junkyards and whatnot, we called the guy from the store. Marion is his name. We went out to Marions house to look at the parts car he wanted to sell her. The car was less than spectacular, and it was a standard, so my girlfriend decided she didn't want it. She took out a loan and bought herself a new car.

Not long after that, the city got onto us about having her (non running) pulsar sitting in front of my house. She was just going to have it towed to the junkyard, but I said "Why don't you just call that Marion guy and see if he wants it". About this time was when I was able to get my liscense back, and was looking for an old car to fix up and drive around.

We called Marion, and he said he'd happily take the Pulsar off of our hands. When asked if he may have an old car I could buy off him, he said "I have a few old beaters out here, come take a look"

I went out to his house, and the result was less than spectacular. A yellow datsun pickup truck, a large box truck (furniture delivery truck), a geo prizm, and a tiny motorcycle. I was ready to write it off and just give him the pulsar when he led me around back of his house. There, sitting in the backyard, was a white, 1984 Supra. At the time, I knew nothing about Supras, but I liked the look of it, so I asked to drive it.

Marion lives about 10 miles outside of town, down a windy highway and a few rock roads. After a few test turns, a little bit of babying, and getting the feel for the car, I opened her up and took some corners. I was hooked. The car had been sitting up for the better part of 10 years, and it still ran like it was brand new.

I asked Marion what he wanted for it, and when he told me, I couldn't believe him.

"$900, or the Pulsar and $600"

$600 and one non running pulsar later, I had my baby. There she is in my siggy, and I'll be doing a full write up of her along with pictures in the pictures forum here shortly. I've had her for a little over a week, and I'm already in love.

I also got, free of charge, a perfictly straight, rust free '85 Supra to use as a "Parts car" for the white one. I'm seriously considering swapping my engine, Tranny, and suspension over to the '85, because the body is straight and it has a sunroof. For now though, I'm just swapping the interior from the blue one over to the white one, because I absolutely hate the burgundy interior that is in it right now. Everything seems to fit, except for the back seat backs, the headliner (because of the sunroof), and the dash above the insturment cluster (it fits, but it has controls for the wipers and cruise, both of which are on my steering column in the '84).

I feel like I just got the deal of a lifetime. $600 and a broken down nissan for one of the best cars ever made. I have SO much planned for this car, limited only by my budget and time.

Anyhow, for those of you who actually read that, thank you for listening to me rant. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all, and to your advice with all of the little problems that might arise.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Congrats on a nice find. Oh and don't trash those maroon interior parts. I am looking for better maroon cloth front seats and door panels with the striped cloth inserts. And if you need parts, post in the wanted section or just contact Chris Eng AKA "CJSREDPRA", H eseeems to run across a lot of Supra parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be getting rid of the entire maroon cloth interior (striped, of course. I think it's rather ugly)

I never trash anything. The maroon interior is in decent shape, but not too great. The dash has several cracks, the drivers seat has a small tear, and the passenger seat has a cigarette burn. The headliner is flawless, and there are no real problems with any of the trim pieces that I have noticed, other than the ones in the hatch area, which are rather cracked. When I get the swap done, I'll put a list of parts up for cheap sale or trade.

I had planned on doing the interior swap tomorrow, which is my day off, but tonight we had a decent sized storm come through, and it's rather soggy out there. So instead, I'm starting on my wheel restoring tonight. Off to Wal Mart for supplies!

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Can you post some daylight pictures of both cars??? And pics of the Maroon interior items??? As you can see, you have 2 die-hard 84 owners who are looking for Maroon cloth items. Pictures will help immensely here!!!

Can't figure out how to post pictures?? See the sticky in the Picture forums.

and the dash above the insturment cluster (it fits, but it has controls for the wipers and cruise, both of which are on my steering column in the '84).
The controls can be swapped out. Look for screws on the other side of the cluster hood. Remove screws & the switches can be pushed out. Replace w/ correct ones.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Hi Shabba, welcome to the group. What color interior are you swapping in? Blue or Black? I may have some interior bits you can use if its black or if you need some switches, etc.
I need the maroon front seats, even if damaged, depending on where the damage is. And, I need good maroon door panels too. Let me know what you have available when you get that far along, and let us know what you need to complete your change over.

Mike Garner
Lexington, SC

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OlSupraguy said:
Hi Shabba, welcome to the group. What color interior are you swapping in? Blue or Black? I may have some interior bits you can use if its black or if you need some switches, etc.

Mike Garner
Lexington, SC

Well, Putting Blue in now, but if I can get ahold of Black, I will be a VERY happy man. I've decided that my Exterior will be black (after looking at literally thousands of pictures), and depending on what I get my hands on, my interior will either be Blue or Black (Getting Leather seats if I go black with it).

In sadder news, the storm we had the other day knocked a tree down onto my parts car, which caused considerable damage to the front of it. It also grabbed ahold of the hatch and snapped it hard enough to bend it up and shatter the back window. Maybe repairable, but if I DO end up doing the swap, it wont be till next summer, or something wierd happens with the one I drive now (lets hope not).

I've taken lots of pics of the white car, both inside and out, but I have to move a tree off of the other car before it will be ready to take pictures of. I'll get around to uploading and posting them one of these days. Working on trying to get my foglights working right now, but haven't quite pinpointed WHY they won't come on. It could be something as simple as burnt out bulbs, but I have no clue, as I haven't really tried to get to them yet. Got my Haynes and Chiltons manuals arriving @ Autozone tomorrow, and that'll help immensely.

Anyways, thanks for all of the replies :) Like I said, I'll have a buttload of pics up asap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts