Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got kinda fed up with the 82 and let it sit for a couple weeks. started workin on it yesterday, and i redid the timing AGAIN.... now the damn thing is idling at 3k perfectly. i tried EVERYTHING. unplugged tps no change. unplugged csi no change. no vaccum leaks or anything. wtf is going on?

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
try tightening down the idle screw....

·
Registered
7,171 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
On the 1982, per Haynes, this is the location for idle speed adjustment. It worked perfectly for me last Friday. It's held at 650 ever since.

I might add, that in the lower right corner, the control with the large white hex screw is the adjustment for the idle up for the a/c. Turn on the a/c, then turn until idle hits around 900 rpm. Check that idle goes back to 650 when a/c is turned off.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
already tried that adjustment screw on the t/b and the one on the MAF also. no difference...

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
did you try driving the car around?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Are you sure you turned it enough? I had to crank my screw more than I would have thought before the rpms even budged. Of course, I don't know what other changes have been made to your car, like if you have any later year mods or engine stuff on there. The other place to check is the dashpot.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Somebody really needs to get all of the 82 TSRM's and put them up online...
Here's the shopping list.....

1982 Toyota Celica TSRM Pub. No. 36150

1982 Repair Manual For Celica Supra Chassis & Body Pub. No. 36147

1982 Celica Supra Electrical Wiring Diagram Pub. No. 98955

1982 Maintenance Procedures Pub. No. 36144A

1982 5M-GE Emissions Control Repair Manual Pub. No. 36143

1981 Automatic Transmission Repair Manual Pub. No. 36136

1981 5M-GE Repair Manual Pub. No. 36145

1982-1986 Collision Repair Manual Pub. No.36182
Anybody here have EVERYTHING & wants to spend the time scanning all of this?? That's the big hangup right now.

I used to have the 2nd manual, but I have since sold it.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Anybody here have EVERYTHING & wants to spend the time scanning all of this?? That's the big hangup right now.

I used to have the 2nd manual, but I have since sold it.
I think I have all but one of those listed.
I have the EFI Checker manual too but that would only be good for 79-82 two plug ECUs.
I don't have a scanner.
I'd have to do a major cleaning to assemble them all in one stack.

Ken

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did you try driving the car around?

i think we already went over dropping the tranny from neutral to drive in 3 grand....

lol but i have no idea what it is... i will figure it out soon enough... could it be a fuel issue, like injectors firing too much..?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I have access to a high speed scanner at work. Scans to PDF. I won't volunteer to scan them all, but I would volunteer to scan the most useful ones, like maintenance procedures, diagnostics, i.e., the things that are different in the 82 technically. Would probably have to copy it to a CD and let someone else do the cataloging and indexing so it could be uploaded in a nicely useable format, like the TSRM we have available now.

These look like the most useful:

1982 Celica Supra Electrical Wiring Diagram Pub. No. 98955

1982 Maintenance Procedures Pub. No. 36144A

1982 5M-GE Emissions Control Repair Manual Pub. No. 36143

The EFI checker manual might also be useful to have available.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
i think we already went over dropping the tranny from neutral to drive in 3 grand....

lol but i have no idea what it is... i will figure it out soon enough... could it be a fuel issue, like injectors firing too much..?
try tightening the TB screw until it wont turn no more. see what that does.

edit: to much fuel would cause you to run rich... ask me how i know.

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
VACUUMN-Should be able to make car die with idle speed adjuster.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts