Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious how much boost has everyone tried on their 6M-GTE with stock internals? I have the fuel situation upgraded already and I am planning on seeing how much it can handle before the HG goes. I am not too worried about the pistons. and I might have to retard the timing but we'll see what happens in the next couple of months when it comes time to turn the boost. up.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I've heard 8 and 11psi as common numbers on 5M-GTE... but I don't know about 6M-GTEs... I think Ray Fong is running one, as well as .. Phil Dupler IIRC

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quick said:
I've heard 8 and 11psi as common numbers on 5M-GTE... but I don't know about 6M-GTEs... I think Ray Fong is running one, as well as .. Phil Dupler IIRC
yea I'm already at 10. so 11 will not be high enough for me. I was just curious to see if anyone has gone higher then that.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Just monitor those A/F readings from your wideband and cross your fingers I guess. :)

Are you running stock 6M compression?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quick said:
Just monitor those A/F readings from your wideband and cross your fingers I guess. :)

Are you running stock 6M compression?
yes I am. and I would never think of doing this unless I'm on the dyno. :)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My 5M coming up, were planning on running 15 PSI on stock internals. The pistons we are leaving alone, but the rods are going to be shotpeened and possibly polished. These internals are surprisingly strong... A friend of a friend was running 13 no problems.. and ran that way for 2 years.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Nothing actually gave, he just decided to go 7M-GTE. More mods and parts available for it.

The motor still runs in another car now, tho its no longer turbo'ed. Think its clocked about 100K miles now...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Supra Bob said:
My 5M coming up, were planning on running 15 PSI on stock internals. The pistons we are leaving alone, but the rods are going to be shotpeened and possibly polished. These internals are surprisingly strong... A friend of a friend was running 13 no problems.. and ran that way for 2 years.
Bob-
when you say "stock" do you mean stock rebuilt, or stock from the factory?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Rebuilt Sam... 262K miles on the original motor+15 psi Boost= scrap pile :)
Tho everything I am putting in is OEM Toyota (with the exception of maybe valve springs, which will most likely be Chevy's, and the HG, which will be HKS metal).

·
Founding Member
6,406 Posts
Yes, I built a 6m-gte but with metal head gasket and forged pistons so I can't speak to the adequacy of the stock internals except to say that I heard enough tales of woe to make me spend that much extra dough. Its really all about risk management through engine management. Risk increases as boost increases obviously but you can't easily put a measure on it. I've not been satisfied with the reliability of the boost retard unit and I've not found anything suitable to substitute for the MSD, nor have I been satisfied with the reliability of the aftermarket fuel pumps I've tried so I decided to hold off any further experiments until I can replace the entire system with a programmable ECU and suitable injectors to operate at stock fuel pressure. Even at a minimally risky 7psi boost tho, it is a blast to drive around town and only a few cars on the road that can touch it stoplight to stoplight. Other life issues have kept me from returning to the 6m-gte project and I haven't changed anything except the oil since its appearance at Vegas 01. Right now I'm hoping it will return to Vegas mabe in 05.

Phil D.

·
Registered
151 Posts
blown 6MGTE

well to my experience to just slapping in a CT26 turbo set-up on a 6MGE last year is such a mess.... well to start off the set-up is consisted of a 7M turbo manifold, CT26 turbo 6psi, RRFPR, 3" DP (open exh)

to unfortunate outsome of only one run at NOPI at VMP at VA was a blown headgasket at the 1000 ft mark.... the ran was pretty impressive with just 6 psi of boost but the headgasket gave up on me.... it is still the factory gasket on the 6M when I ordered it from JAPAN....

Its really all about risk management through engine management. Risk increases as boost increases obviously but you can't easily put a measure on it.
I definately agree to Phil

and now to the mistake I have experience.... I have built my 6M with....
Ross Forged pistons, 7MGTE Rods, ARP studs,rods,mains, 2.0 HKS MHG, while fuel duties would consist of.....
440cc, HKS Super AFR, AEM FPR 1:1, Walbro 255lph fuel pump
and for ignition....
MSD 6BTM, MSD wires, MSD Blaster SS coil

one mistake is enough to lay the money down and have more fun to drive and appriciate my TURBOCHARED MKII

1 - 12 of 12 Posts