Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was going around a turn and hit some black Ice and went straight into a ditch. Driver side fender will have to be replaced, I'll have to replace the whole front crossmember becuase it ripped the mounting holes for part of the suspension and one of the radiator mounts out when the wheel hit the ditch. The driver side wheel ended up about 2 inches from the door. Luckily thats All it did. I'll post some pics up of the carnage, but no pics of the ditch. I ended up at a 45* angle on the side of the ditch by the time I stopped. Was only doing about 35 mph.

· Registered
40 Posts
wow, that really sucks! I almost had the same experiance. Driving back to school down the I-15 after thanksgiving break i was in the supra and hit some ice near the beggining of Idaho. I only lost control for about a second then thankfully i got it back under control. I was going about 70 (slower cause its started to get foggy, but not slow enough it seems). After that i promply slowed down to around 55 as not wanting to take a chance like that again, especailly in a supra. More often than not the supra will lose out on a battle against Icy roads :)

In my small hometown where some of the roads don't get de-iced, no matter how slow i go, the supra almost always fishtails it going through the corner, and we are talking like 5-10 mph..

The supra has to be one of the worst cars i have driven on snow/ice and that is exactly why i ain't driving it home this christmas.. but on the flipside, its the funnest car i have ever driven in good conditions :)

· Registered
4,267 Posts
man, yall need to get some good tires or something...

either that or you guys should consider taking an icy roads driving refresher course.
honestly, im not just saying that to be rude.

im on bald, crummy tires, and my car is great in the ice and snow, probably on a par with any older 80s rear wheel drive, and better than most trucks, which people are so fanatical about using during winter.
and just to prove its not some miracle that only benefits my car, i drove my friends automatic tranny supra, with crappy 225 dunlops, and its just as managable as my 5 speed.

· Heroic Autobot
682 Posts
My front wheel drive Talon slips more in the snow than my rear wheel drive Supra did. I have no idea why.

However, the prize for best vehicle I've driven in the snow goes to the front wheel drive '90 Buick Skylark I owned. That thing was a tank in the snow. I went over a heap of snow a foot high (my car got plowed in at work), in reverse, with (STUPID DRIVING ERROR ALERT :doh: ) the parking brake on (forgot I had it set :roll: ) with no problems. Never had a problem driving in the snow with the parking brake off, either. ;) I detested that car, but I will give it credit in this case.

· Registered
662 Posts
I feel bad about your accident, sounds like major work to be done :(

After hearing about the MK II's and handling the cold weather conditions :idea: Thinkin maybe the MK II isn't too bad for the winter. I mean as bad as the MK III :piggy: :?: Has anyone driven one in the winter?

Yesterday morning I witnessed a MK III at a school crossing at a complete stop. When light was green every car was able to go but this one :lol: Cold misty morning and the car can't go forward. It slowly drifts to the side of the road. And the tires weren't even going that fast.

Maybe all that weight and too much power at the rear :lol:

· Registered
3,318 Posts
i have completely bald ass tires and last weekend we got a good amt of snow...it was pure ice.....i had a lot of fun trying to fish tale, but if i take it like a grandpa, it will drive fine......the funnest part is when your rear wheels are going 70 but your really going 30.....lol woo hoo supras rock in all weather...

· Registered
13,051 Posts
Indeed, I'll host up some supra winter vids soon. I have about 30min of footage of the supra doing crazy stuff. No incidents, didn't even get stuck. =)

Btw, where in TN? Leme know what parts you will need to fix'er up. I might be able to help you out with my harem of supradupras.

--BillyM

· Registered
13,051 Posts
Well, I only list Knoxville because it gives people a point of refrence. I actually take up residence in Louisville, just out of Maryville, about 15min to Knox myself via Pellisippi.

Fenders... now those I got, just not the ones you are looking for as my parts car is an l-typer. Sorry about that. I dont know of any junkyards in the maryville area with p-types either.

Ever autocross?

--BillyM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.