Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't own a MKII (I have a mkiv) but I happened to get a magazine that had an aritcle and some pictures about this car. I've searched for stuff on this car before but it's hard to find anything good. I scanned some other celica-supra images that I found for you guys as well.

Hope you enjoy them!

HKS M300:

Links to the full article (In Japanese though):
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/zemmix/HKS_M300.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/zemmix/HKS_M300_a.jpg

Other Celica-Supra's:

And another article:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/zemmix/celica2.jpg

·
Registered
15,125 Posts
wow, twin turbo blowing through 3 side draft carbs. thats sick. lol. to bad hks cant provide us with any pics or specs on that car.

·
Premium Member
8,865 Posts
Dueces, Thanks for the info and pics!!!
What magazine is it?? Is it available in the USA???

·
Registered
682 Posts
On early 80's, Japanese dreamed to the speed of '300Km/h'.
And many tuning shops/makers/companies were really into this 'overing 300km/h with Japanese car'.
Some tuned/modified American and European cars in Japan already had run over 300km, but no Japanese car.

It was a era that Japanese OEM/stock car was getting faster after Japanese polution law change on 1978 that car must have catalizer which made car really slow at that time.
Like stock/OEM Celica XX2800GT recorded top speed of 211km/h(2000GT 209km/h!amazing with 2liter at that time) and RX-7Turbo(SA22C.Turbo RX-7 was available in only JDM.)over 220km/h.
(I wrote stock but with only modify was killing 'speed limiter' system which cut off the fuel on 180km/h. All JDM cars have this 'speed limiter'.)
So sports car enthusiasts and street racers were very excited!
And somehow, this 'top speed' was something very important for us at that time.
So most of 'Tuners' & 'Shop' were really into this maximum top speed record with JDM street car.(illeagle on the street but we called street car, not racing car.)

Trust and HKS and some others used Celica XX for this Top Speed Trial.:D
Celica XX(MA61),RX-7(SA22C),280Z(130Z), and Soarar(MZ10) were mainly on this trial.
They spend so much money and efforts and time for making this top speed trial car.
It was really good CM for them to have top speed record, too!
So you can see many '277km/h!' or '2xxkm/h' kind of articles on the magazine of that time.

In Japan, we don't have huge place like Salt Lake in USA, so small oval course in Yatabe (5.5km oval with huge bank on the corner) was the longest track and only track for measuring top speed.
So car making is lot different from Salt Lake Cars.

And first JDM car which break the speed of 300km/h was...HKS Celica XX!!
Yes, Celica XX was first car to break speed of 300km/h:)
Many people thought RX-7 or Trust Celica XX will break the speed of 300km/h first, but it was HKS.
It was second Celica XX for HKS, and it was modified so much, and HKS named the car 'M300', which means 'Maximum 300km/h'.
Some said it's have been changed from stock XX too much, it's racing car not street car.

As you all know, Celica XX's 5M-GEU is with fuel injection.
At that time, 'tuners' & 'shops' didn't have enough knowhow on tuning fuel injected engine.
So HKS decided to make 5M-GEU in carbulator for second Celica XX.
And in Dec-1983, this Celica XX 2800GT called 'M300' break the 300km/h, recorded 301.25km/h.
This 'M300' 5M-GEU was equipped with two Gallet TO4B turbine.

At that time, we yearned to the word 'Twin Turbo' and 'Twincam'!
So most of the car was modified to Twin Turbo.
Even some 4 cylinder AE86 4A-GEU was modified to twin turbo.:duh:
We really didn't have enough knowledge on turbo at that time.

Gray metalic 2-tone Celica XX on the picture is first HKS Celica XX.
White one is Trust Celica XX.
These photos and articles are from early 80's!
The magazine is reissue edition!

It's funny that now, HKS and Trust are really big company, but at that time, they were small shop like company.(but already very famouse for the street racing people!)
They get's big with/by tuning/modifing Celica XX!
But unfortunately, only few/almost no Celica XX parts available from them now.

Anyway, I'm really amazed that you have this magazine!!

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
So HKS decided to make 5M-GEU in carbulator for second Celica XX.
And in Dec-1983, this Celica XX 2800GT called 'M300' break the 300km/h, recorded 301.25km/h.
This 'M300' 5M-GEU was equipped with two Gallet TO4B turbine.
Just wanted to point out a couple translation errors.

Carburetor and Garrett T04B turbine.

Great info though Satoshi. Its actually very surprising to hear that the first japanese car to break 300km/h was a Celica XX. Now I can throw that in all the faces of people who think the car is such a piece of shit.

·
Administrator
8,863 Posts
Its amazing how times have changed. There is now a production car that does 400 kph and several car that do 300kph bone stock.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These photos and articles are from early 80's!
The magazine is reissue edition!
はい!! それは Legend of Option Vol. 1. I found it at the local Japanese bookstore not too long ago. I'd love to have real Option magazine from the 80's though. Thanks for the translation!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Wow! I can read Japanese from your post!
I run to the book store after reading your post!
And at 3rd store, I finally found the magazine!
I never thought I'll hear aboutmagazine with XX article is on the sale from over sea!!
Thank you!
And I found I should go bookstore more often.

·
Registered
230 Posts
just discovered this, independently of the site, looked for more info, found it here lol. but it whets my thirst for an areo nose, and I am proud of that 5M-GE. Awsome.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.