Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an opportunity to buy a 1mm stopper metal head gasket..1mm for $150.00. is it worth it and is this the best set up for my 5mge soon to be 5mgte???

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
itll work but they usually are 1.2mm not 1mm. i think a 1.2mm new is like $135
william

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
most go with 2mm bead type. costs more but supposed to seal better. order the thickness that you need. and that depends on whats been removed from the head and block.
william

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not right

1 mm stopper metal head gasket is $260.00 at suprasport.com .. it is the $135 + $125...i just want to know if it will work with the turbo set-up ore is it better to go with a 2mm or 1.2mm??

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
sorry, i got the bead and stopper mixed up. i think bead type for the sealing ring which is actually on the stopper type. yes it will work, but the thickness should be chosen by how much is removed from the head. the 1.2 is a stock replacement basically and works fine. if the one you listed is the more expensive one and $150, jump on it.
william

·
Registered
807 Posts
No The head and block need to be perfectly flat and should have an RA of 25 or better. I'd show you pics of the machine work done on my old MkIII head that was perfectly smooth to the touch, yet ended up seeping.....but my web-server seems to be having issues.

Other's have made it without the lapping, and by just generally machining to be flat; but I was not one of them.

·
Registered
104 Posts
ya i would go w/ wut crf rider. i have a 2.omm H/G on my 6mgte and of course its HKS, they make some of the best shit.
MK2DRIFT-

·
Registered
653 Posts
all metal headgaskets should be coated with coppercoat on both sides. helps with sealing and the copper helps disapates the the more efficiently.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
I would also not go w/ a 1mm MHG. All this is doing, is raising your compression, which for a turbo application, is NOT what you want to do, you want to lower it, or keep it near stock.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Atl_Racer said:
all metal headgaskets should be coated with coppercoat on both sides. helps with sealing
Yep, that's what my machinist told me. I used a Permatex product (forgot the exact name) that I got from NAPA, the same stuff he had in his shop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts