Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have one of these and know what it is supposed to sound like? Yeah, I know, dumb question.

I finally installed mine on my 90 7mgte. Unfortunately, I bought a universal bov not one of the very pricey Supra specific bov's. I have no idea where the adjustment bolt should be setting and I have no idea what it is supposed to sound like so I am clueless as to how to set it and have it right.

Anyone have any ideas? Haven't had any luck getting any answers directly from HKS..... They could learn alot about service from the chimp.

Leslie

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
the screw is for the difram pressure ie the ferther the screw is in the more vacume\presher you need to have the bov vent. so id tern it all the way out(loose) then back in just a bit then take it out for a spin. watch your boost gage to see how the transition from boost to vacume is and to see if you have any bov leeking if so add a tern or so till its good -- side note you may notice a flutter(comen to hear with the ssqv) sound on low boost to vacume this is ok its the bov opening and shuting rapidly so instead of a wissel or woosh you will hear a to to to to. now i dont have a ssqv bov i have a greddy but the screw works the same. i know you will get it. Just play with it o you dont wont to hear the flutter when you do a full boost shift of let off you should hear a woosh if you get the flutter its to tite back it off a bit. i hope that helps + i know if i sead any thing rong some one will be quick to corect me. Dave

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah hah..... I thought something was amiss. I have been slowly backing it out. Under low boost I do get the flutter but under hard boost, I get a short whistle and then the flutter. Somehow I was thinking that the flutter after the whistle shouldn't be there.

Thanks for the imput, I'll keep playing with it.

Leslie

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
MkIISuperSupra said:
Ah hah..... I thought something was amiss. I have been slowly backing it out. Under low boost I do get the flutter but under hard boost, I get a short whistle and then the flutter. Somehow I was thinking that the flutter after the whistle shouldn't be there.

Thanks for the imput, I'll keep playing with it.

Leslie
If you adjust it just right you'll get a toot toot whistle whistle woo woo sound that will not only amaze you, but small woodland creatures and hoochies from various locations will flock to your car almost immediately.

And...if you honk your horn just right to the tempo, you will be able to play along and make a cute little melody as well. I would call it the "Initial D Woo Woo Toot Toot" song.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok Sidman, I sure hope the rest of your body is as smart at the part that makes that all too familiar RASPBERRY sound. HEHEHE :2gunfire:

nuf said. I'll crawl back into my hole now.

Leslie :angel:

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
start with the screw all the way out. at idle, tighten the screw till the valve just closes, then id go anoth 1/4 to 1/2 turn. btw, youll find out eventually wy i dont like the hks ssq bov. the secondary vlave(the big one) is plastic and over time becomes brittle and breaks. thats why i opted for the greddy type s. however the hks bov does sound sweet when adjusted right.
william

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
williamb82 said:
start with the screw all the way out. at idle, tighten the screw till the valve just closes, then id go anoth 1/4 to 1/2 turn. btw, youll find out eventually wy i dont like the hks ssq bov. the secondary vlave(the big one) is plastic and over time becomes brittle and breaks. thats why i opted for the greddy type s. however the hks bov does sound sweet when adjusted right.
william
Ok William, this isn't intended to be a smart ass question but how the heck do I now when the valve closes? Should I be able to hear it? I have never tried adjusting the valve with the engine running.....

Leslie

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
not meant to be a smartass answer but just look at it. you can see the black and purple vlaves, the purple one is the smaller of the 2. you look at them and tighen the nut til lthe purple vlave just touches the black valve as long as the black valve is closed touching the bov body, then another 1/4-1/2 turn.
william

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hokay, I think even I can probably deal with that....

Black valve too huh???? Hmm this could get interesting....

Hey at least I know there is a purple one....

Somedays old age is just no fun at all.

Thanks for the help.

Leslie

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
ok, what it is, there is a large black valve, it has a small hole in it which is plugged by the purple valve. when you let off the throttle, the purple valve opens first. if there is enough boost built up first, the difference in pressure when you let off will be great enough and it will pull the purple valve far enough back that it will pull the black valve open as well. if you take the bov off and look inside the part that faces the inside of the i/c pipe you will see what i mean. it opens only the small valve under low boost, and higher boost opens the small and large valves. its a very good design, except that the secondary valve(the black one) is plastic. i have seen many of them that were broken and someone tried glueing or jb welding it back together. the problem with that is if its not perfectly straight, which is very difficult, after its glued back, it wont seal right and you now have a boost leak. if they ever change the secondary valve to an aluminum one like the primary valve i would prolly get one, but till then i like my type s just fine. also, its not very hard to adjust the bov valve, but with changeing conditions in the weather, they have to be adjusted from time to time to remain working properly.
william

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
William,

Ok, I tried the adjustment screw thing and nothing happens. Neither the purple or the black valve move at all. No difference with the car at idle or off. The two valves doen't seperate at all. If I understand what you are saying, they should seperate if I back the adjusting screw all the way out but they don't. The only way that the two valves seperate is if I take the cover off and turn the valve up side down, then the black valve will seperate. I can push on the black valve and compress both valves but when I let off, both pop back up into full closed position. Is this what they are supposed to do.

With the car at idle, if I take the adjusting screw all the way out, I can feel a very slight vacuum at the hole.

I can't figure out if something is wrong with the unit or not. I know the valve does work because I can hear it blow off. I'm just not sure that it is working properly, For sure the engine idles differently with it on than with the stock BOV but I'm not sure if that is related to the BOV or not.

Got any more ideas?

Thanks,
Leslie

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
if it stays closed at idle with the bolt backed all the way out, the spring is strong enough to over come the vacume at idle. you do need to leave the screw in as if not, then when you let off after boosting there wont be any vacum to open the valve. when under normal operation, the boost that is built up will be pushing the valves closed, so when you let off the purple valve will open first, then if it is pulling hard enough to open, it will pull the black valve open as well. what i would do, is leave the bolt just barely in and see if the bov is working as it should when driving, and tightening it 1/2 turn til it is. if you were around tampa i could adjust it for you. its not very hard once you know what it should sound like when operating properly.
william

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the advice and help William.

Adjusting the valve is a piece of cake. I just wish I actually knew what it is supposed to sound like when it is set right....

I think the majority of my issues have turned out not to be BOV related at all. While playing with the valve, I found 3 more blown hoses, this time i the intake system. Probably blew them at the same time I blew out the IC piping and just didn't realize it because I couldn't see the blowouts.

Leslie

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
well, yeah, if some hoses were blown off im sure that will affect how the engine will run. lol. anyway, glad you got it all sorted out.
william

·
Registered
579 Posts
I was wondering if you recirculate this...will there still be the loud pssssssssht sound?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts