Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OMG. This car is freaking fast. I have an 85 Supra that has 195K miles on it so I didn't think that it would still have power but today I finally found out that all the power is above the 2K rpm range and man, it goes. I was wondering if running it between 3K - 3.5K rpms would cause any known problems with the amount of miles on it? Does anyone here run their supras harder then that day to day? Any problems?

My last car was an 88 Nissan Stanza and it was nice but it had no power above 2.5K rpms. Even up to that point, it was nothing like this supra. I love this car, it kicks ass.
________
CHEAP UTG AIRSOFT BB MAGAZINE SPEEDLOADER

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I have an 85 with 119k on it and I run it up to redline pretty often. Its up to you but if its mostly stock you wont get any more power past 5500 rpm so might as well not go any higher than that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If your runnin bone stock dont go past 4500.. But otherwise, I also tend to push mines to the limit.. I used to redline mines alot but I slowed down cause all my power comes on around 3000-5500, and it f**kin pulls.. If you ad a simple cone air filter you'll feel a diff.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Abomination said:
3-4K rpms should be fine right? Will that wear anything out quickly since the car is so old? Are K&N Air filters street legal?
the car was built to run hard. If you maintain it properly then you can run it to redline all you want. I did. No problems.

·
Registered
109 Posts
whenever i had the 5m i shifted at 4000 for daily driving that motor had 183xxx miles on it before it was replaced and now with the 6m i shift at 3000 daily driving unless i need to merge with traffic quick then i shift right after 5000

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
on my 85 MK2 5MGE I run it to 5K RPM's everyday, But I keep up with the tune ups 8)

On my 84 MK2 6MGE I/H/E I run it to 5.5K RPM's. Its a sports car so I run it like a sports car :wink: :twisted:

on the Stock 5MGE I found that it pulled harder from 2.5-4K RPM's

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
My '85 Silpra had 221k miles on it before I gave it away in Mass. I ran it hard every day, for all 40,000 miles that I was lucky enough to own it. Actually hit 7k rpms a few times by accident, I don't suggest doing that. But I would imagine that if the max. HP was at 5200 rpms, you'd want to shift at almost 6k rpms to get the most acceleration out of it b/c when you shift, the rpms will back down to near the max. HP rpm. But that's just a theory for me beings I've never been to a track to try out what is better ;)

Tanya

2 MK2 P-type 5 speeds
on my 4th Supra, 6th Toyota in 3 1/2 years :shock:

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i think that the question is more related to whether or not running the car higher in the rpm range is harmful.

i dont belive it is, but i think it uses more fuel than it would normally consume.

i almost have to run mine faster in residential areas... the crappy ricer muffler is soooooo boomy anywhere under 2800 rpms.

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
more fuel? heh, definitly. you can literally watch your gas needle sink into oblivion when you travel at 110mph for more than 10-15 minutes :shock: :shock: near WOT is prolly like 3-5mpg, LOL

·
Registered
351 Posts
Nothing wrong with redline. I see redline every time I pull away from a stop sign. Run it till it kapows, then go bigger!

·
Registered
999 Posts
You're worried about going up to 3K? Where's your tach normaly at going highway speed? My '85 runs pretty close to 3000 rpm at around 125-130 Km/h (That's around the 75 mph that's highway speed in the US isn't it?). That's the 3spd auto w/ overdrive though, are manuals geared higher?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I know I run my 5spd around the 3k mark all the time. Rarely do I get out of 3rd in the city for the most part... Well I've toned it down a bit since the gas was hurtin the pocket book and deal with the slow response of 1.5k rpm in 4th. =)

·
Registered
430 Posts
my 5M (when I still had it) I used to drag race it with 182k on it and that is redline in every gear multiple times a night every single week....never caused any problems.

Abomination said:
3-4K rpms should be fine right? Will that wear anything out quickly since the car is so old? Are K&N Air filters street legal?

·
Registered
178 Posts
K/N filters are street legal.
The cone filters are not legal in California for sure and I believe not legal in any other state either. The box says "Intended for off-road, racing, or marine applications ONLY. Not intended for use on emission controlled vehicles." But it's very easy to put on and take off for smogs and inspections, just keep all the old parts if you want one. Unless you want to do a cold air type setup which might be easier with the stock box thing.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
quick said:
Abomination said:
the car was built to run hard. If you maintain it properly then you can run it to redline all you want. I did. No problems.
So that explains the cracked head.... :lol:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
82Spearco said:
quick said:
So that explains the cracked head.... :lol:
I never ran the Spearco car hard. :) I drove it twice before you got it. Once from Seattle to Portland and once from my house to the shipper. It was never in boost for more than 2 seconds because it detonated under boost.

Like I told you when I decided I didn't want it -- the car was way more of a project than what it was represented to me. I provided full disclosure on it detonating, etc when we talked about it. You knew everything I knew. Seems like you don't believe that though. :(

Regardless the car was a good deal IMO.

I remember when you were trying to find a new head for the car -- 99% of the heads you ran into were cracked. Sounds to me like this is an problem endemic to the 5M-GE head.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts