Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom owns a 1997 Honda CRV which I discovered, while visiting last weekend, has a leaking radiator. Like Toyota, Honda is also very proud of many of their parts. They want $250+ for a replacement rad – that’s the radiator alone. I searched RockAuto and, of course, found great prices but I have no knowledge of the brands.

RockAuto lists: Visteon, Proliance, Sherman

Does anyone know or have experience with these brands of radiators, what are your thoughts? Thanks!

Stay cool.
Scott

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
visteon and proliance they r really good, try to get them with a lifetime warranty, if not i can find one for you. lmk.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Check-out "Majestic Honda" - Got parts from them less then the local Honda dealer: www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

I'd just find a local radiator shop, and have then rebuild it if possible. GL

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
well if that radiator is cooper yeah it might me good for a recore, but it will be for more expensive than a new one, now with the market full of plastic tanks and aluminum cores they r pretty much one time use, and they r cheap, copper radiators are hard to come oem, believe me i see pallets of defectives radiators every month, they can leak at the corner, cracked tanks, if it has a hit mark can be fixable.

just find one is made in the usa. delphi, visteon and proliance are pretty good.

even koyorad is a good one, kind of oeq.

csf , crs, loyyo, silla. they r pretty much chinese junk radiators.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input and helpful info regarding the brands in question. The current radiator is original; aluminum core with plastic tanks. I looked at it briefly before needing to head back to the airport. I could see it was leaking but could not find an actual source. Lots of white residue along edge of top tank and heavy build-up along ledge of lower tank where it was pooling. Obviously the top tank had a small crack under the upper rad hose connection or the tank seal was leaking. Cheaper to buy a replacement than attempt to replace the tank. Multiple bends of the crimps that hold the tanks will only lead to metal fatigue and breakage.

My brother has ordered and picked up all the parts at a local store in Cincy. The rad brand is Spectra Premium. Appears to be one of the cheap Chinese crap. I would have preferred one of the other brands but that’s what she got. Either way, it’ll be better than the busted thing that’s in there now.

Thanks again!
Scott

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
those spectra rads have a lifetime warranty, so hold onto the receipt. autozone sells them. i havent really seen any come back broken yet like the duralast parts do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts