Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know. Honda, yeuchh. :puke:

But this Japanese language web site has fabulous videos.

http://netwarp.ddo.jp/rhv/video/hall/index.html

How about a 1988 Lotus 100T Formula 1 car with a 1.5 Litre V6 with 800 hp pacing a 1967 Honda RA273 Formula 1 car with a 3 Litre V12 with 360 hp on a Super Speedway oval?

Or the Museum test driver blowing the engine on the 1989/90 World Championship winning McLaren MP4/5 Formula 1 car of Alain Prost? They start stripping the motor from the chassis.

It's mostly Japanese so I don't understand most of the site, but wow, does Toyota have a similar museum site?

Dale

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard the Renault made 1,400-1,500 hp too.

Apparently in 1987 the Williams FW11-B used a Honda RA167-E 80º V6 Turbo engine. The max engine speed was 12,500rpm, there was a mandated maximum pressure of 4 bar (58psi) and it used 102 Octane fuel. The horsepower was in the 820-940 horsepower area.

The 102 Octane fuel was a Toluene/Heptane mix. The fuel was extremely toxic to breathe. The FIA banned these special gasolines and now mandate 102 Octane unleaded racing fuel.

These cars weighed a touch under 1200 pounds.

Current Formula 1 cars are 3 Litre Nomally Aspirated V10 engines. They produce in the neighbourhood of 850-940 horsepower at 19,000rpm. This in spite of the fact that they must last an entire race weekend: practice, qualifying and racing without changes.

The following is an interesting link discussing what it took to make 900 horsepower with a turbo and 1.5 Litres (91.53 cubic inches).

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasoline-faq/part4/section-1.html

The current Toyota Formula 1 engine is reputed to be one of the most powerful in Grand Prix racing, but the chassis is not up to the standard of Ferrari, Williams, BAR and McLaren yet.

This site just astounds me that because it shows that Honda is serious about racing. They actually take their museum cars to the track. They don't look all that upset when they break them.

Whoops, it sounds like I'm a Honda fan. I do own a Supra. I'll wash my mouth out.

·
Registered
267 Posts
WOW that is awsome!! Was the white car with the spoiler an indy car? That yellow car is for sale, or at least a look alike. Here is the link http://www2.odn.ne.jp/bblink/racecar1.htm

The Older white car with no spoiler, was that powered by a V8? I Guess in 2007 or something F1 is changing to like 2.5L V8s and manualy operated clutches. Maybe it wont fall through though, I read it in auto week last year.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure which older white car with spoiler you mean. I'm an old man. Older to me means pretty old! The 1960's style cars are all Formula 1 cars.

The Honda RA301 which has front winglets and a mid-height rear wing is a 1968 3-Litre 90-degree V12. The RA273 and RA300 are also 3-Litre 90-degree V12 Formula 1 cars.

Apparently Soichiro Honda stated in 1954 "My childhood dream was to be a motorsport World Champion with a machine built by myself. I here avow my definite intention that I will participate in the TT races and I proclaim with my fellow employees that I will pour in all my energy and creative powers to win."

He (Honda Corp) went to the Isle of Mann TT motorcycle races in 1959 and didn't win anything. He came back in 1960 and placed 1st thru 5th in the 125cc class and didn't place in the 250cc class. In 1961 Honda came and placed (I might be exaggerating slightly - I'm not a real motorcycle fan) 1st thru 5th in 125cc and 250cc classes. It went on each year.

In 1964 Honda entered their first car in Formula 1 auto racing. It was the Honda RA271 a 1.5-Litre transverse mounted V12. :shocked!: They won the last 1.5-Litre grand prix race with it.

http://world.honda.com/history/challenge/1964formulaoneentry/text01/index.html

You just have to respect Honda. He REALLY loved racing. Apparently until the current Honda president, all previous Honda presidents had been engineers in the Honda racing department.

The yellow camel car in the videos in a 1988 Lotus 100T Formula 1 car of Satoru Nakajima, car number 2. The car for sale is it's sister car #1 driven by Nelson Piquet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts