Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I have an 84 5mge with a blown head gasket and some damage to the head and piston. I am planning on doing a full rebuild on the motor. But i was hopeing that somone could help me out. I have about 2000 dollars and i would like to get some horsepower gain while rebuilding the car. Any help would be greatly appreaciated as far as what route i should take in trying to gain power. Whether it be a larger bore or a higher compression ratio, ported head, different cam. Basicaclly i am open to suggestions and anything will be a huge help.

Thank you for your time

Austin

·
Registered
501 Posts
my guess is one wuold probably need a combination of higher compression/cams, head work, port matching, headers, intake, exhaust to get reasonable power gains. there is a thread somewhere here on the possibility of getting an aggressive cam (subject should be TRD cams). aaron ingles (SilverMk2) will likely chime in here soon enough with more specifics on all of this as i believe he did considerable work to it in his n/a 6m, including getting Gude cams that he eventually ditched.

you might want to think about doing a rebuild that prepares your motor to be turbocharged. i see that you only have one post so i'm not sure if you are aware how popular the cheap turbo set ups are getting for our engines. if you do a rebuild with the intention of going turbo, you will have a possiblity to cheaply and safely bump up the horsepower greatly for maybe $1000 over the cost of your rebuild, and will have a lot of room to keep going with it in the future if you are so inclined. if you haven't thought about it yet, you might want to at least consider it.

another thing to consider might be getting a solid 6m (an import JDM 3.0l motor that drops right in) and doing basic work to it and maybe use the rest of your money to afford a set of headers, exhaust and intake. the displacement alone will make a big difference.

good luck

shiva

·
Registered
13,203 Posts
It is impossible to make alot of NA horsepower without moving up from the 9.2:1 compression ratio. Sofar, I have yet to hear of anyone moving up in compression ratio, and even though they have done everything else, p&p, intake, exhaust, cams, etc, they still have rather... moderate results.

I dont think 2g's is going to do crap really, if you need alot of machining done AND you want higher compression pistons. Will you be doing this work yourself? Are you able to knowledgeably port a head? Some people without great deals of machining ability, but average mechanical ability have slapped a metal head gasket on a stock motor, slapped a mk3 turbo and manifold on (bolts right up for the most part), slightly modified the stock mk3 downpipe and used the stock mk3 intercooler and RC oil lines ofcourse. For fuel there are two pretty well-known options.

1.) Rising rate fuel pressure regulator ($175-190new) and a fuel pump (~$140 for a good bosch pump)
2.) S-AFC (~$175?) and a set of 295cc injectors ($40-70 used)

...and I'm spent.

I think its good for me to share knowledge like this, it negates all my schmartass comments. =)

--BillyM

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
out of the two fuel options, which is the better choice??
which is more reliable? more potential for tuning? more expandability, power wise?

im debating heavily the 7mgte swap right now, think im gonna get a MKIII front cut and make a 5mgte, cause my engine is pretty fresh, so why toss it out :)
then in a year or two, when i can afford to really do it right, drop in the 7mgte

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
you can also go for a 6mge, its less work than the 7mgte, buts its your choice, i myself went for a 6mge, couldnt find any one to take the challenge of putting a mkiii engine on my mkii,

·
Registered
796 Posts
for $2000.00, pull your 5m and sell whatever you can on it, buy a jdm 6m, rebuild it with all new gaskets and maybe a valve job, and save the rest of the (little) money left over for an exhaust. You may even have enough for a Thorley header if you do all the work yourself.
This will give you a nice reliable car, with a bit more hp than whatcha got now and you won't have any tuning to do! It's really a plug-n-play install with just a couple of modifications needed. See the engine recipes section for more info on doing this at the main webpage.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Alright, I have an 84 5mge with a blown head gasket and some damage to the head and piston.
i know what you mean. i had a shitty cressy with lsd that i got the lsd from and it developed a rod knock while drifting in the 275K car. i was like fuck it and floored her in first to 6800 before i shifted, then again in 2nd. got to about 78(6750 rpm) in second before i hear a LOUD ass bang and see smoke and steam. had a junkyard toe it away for free. they later wanted 40 bucks for the toe because nothing was salvageable. they said it threw two rods(#3 and #5) the high rpms threw the rods thru the block, bent all the mainbearings, twisted the crank and cracked it in several places(sudden stopping in the block), the pistons slammed the head and shattered it, the engine ripped itself from it;s motormounts and i'd unknowingly fried the auto trans. i later told them screw off it has a good rearend and driveshaft.

Or, for $1000, install a MHG on your 5mge and toss on a mk3 turbo, fuel pump, and pressure regulator, then commence to smokin every single 6mge vehicle out there.
not to mention 7m's too. between the 5m,6m,7m with the SAME mods the 5m outperforms the 6m and 7m. wonder why?

but how reliable is the 5mge hybrid?
if you do it right as reliable as a 7m-gte. i would recommend an additional fuel controller with extra injectors for boosting non-turbo engines.

not to mention everyone and their dog gets rid of their 5m so you could prolly get one off someone that took it outta their car for pretty cheap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts