Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been collecting Hot Wheels for about the last year now when they started to release some nice old muscle cars. So I make it a habit to check out the Hot Wheels racks anytime I am in a store with some, and I came across this one yesterday and took the only 2 that were there:

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I'm not sure I've ever seen one with those rims...

Nice score!

·
Registered
472 Posts
haha. i have a couple of those hot wheels. im 18 now and have been collecting them since i was 2 years old. i currently have about 700 of em.

my dad also has a 81 delorean. so im aware of the story. after i get my supras running, the delorean is my next project. its been sitting in our carport for 17 years collecting dust with a bad transmission......damn automatics......

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
lol i just picked up the exact same one, last one left too muahaha

·
Registered
365 Posts
LOLx2.

Mattel committed to making a run of 1,000,000 units of these (that's 111X more than actually built).

Over on the DeLorean forum our main vendor, DMC in Houston, announced a pre-sale of 12 for $10.80 sale, and sold about 3000. I suspect some of those showed up on ebay in December. I kind of don't like the wheels, but for $.97 toy, they weren't about to make exclusive wheels so they re-used what they had, that fit best.
(BTW: I'll append the DMC/Mattel press release at the end.)

In December a lot of posts went up of forum members driving all over their town, checking for, and clearing out shelves when they saw them. I thought it was funny to read, then I saw 3 at a nearby Target before Christmas and bought 'em all! Gave one to my son, kept the others. Very recently I scored 16 on ebay for cheap, I plan to give them away at car shows this year to (the parents) of the kids who like the car.

BTW:
It's been announced that in April of this year, Mattel will release a gold version. In 1981 there were actually 2 gold plated DeLoreans made, they were commissioned by American Express for a contest. One is in a museum, the other is kept in an owner's garage.

====================Press Release===============================
DELOREAN MOTOR COMPANY AND MATTEL INTRODUCES
DMC-12 HOT WHEELS® DIE-CAST CAR

Partnership between two iconic automobile brands leads to exclusive collectible for enthusiasts and a broader audience later this year

Humble, Texas – October 1, 2009 – DeLorean Motor Company (DMC) and Mattel, Inc. today announced the Hot Wheels® die-cast DeLorean DMC-12 automobile which will be coming to major retailers nationwide this December. The original stainless steel, gull-wing sports car was conceived by auto entrepreneur John DeLorean and manufactured in Northern Ireland from 1981 to 1983.

Nearly 30 years since its introduction, the DeLorean sports car enjoys high awareness and recognition levels. According to a recent Opinion Research Corporation Caravan poll of 1,000 men aged 18 years or older, 93% remember the DeLorean when they were younger; 84% would recognize the DeLorean when driving down the street; 87% agree with car lovers who say the car was ahead of its time; and 74% would mention DeLorean to family and friends if the car came back.

The Hot Wheels® DeLorean is a miniature die-cast model of the iconic DMC-12, and is designed to appeal to collectors of all ages.

“To this day, the original DMC-12 continues to turn heads and is arguably one of the world’s most well-known and talked about cars,” said Stephen Wynne, CEO of DeLorean Motor Company. “Mattel clearly recognizes the staying power of our brand thirty years after the rule-breaking automobile came to market” Wynne said.

Hot Wheels® and DeLorean Motor Company (Texas) have worked in partnership for several months on the die-cast details, from exterior profile to undercarriage, to ensure the vehicle could be replicated as authentically as possible.

“DeLorean is one of the most recognizable motor vehicles of our time and lends itself perfectly to a die-cast car collectable,” said Christian Zentner, Senior Manager, Hot Wheels. “We’re thrilled to replicate such an iconic sports car for Hot Wheels and DeLorean fans.”

Since 1968, Hot Wheels® has designed an extensive variety of licensed and original die-cast cars, each specially crafted for maximum appeal and collectability.

ABOUT DELOREAN MOTOR COMPANY

The DeLorean Motor Company (DMC), based in Humble, TX, acquired the original company's name in 1994 and now owns the largest remaining original parts stock from the factory, US stock and original suppliers. DMC manufactures, services, appraises, restores and sells DMC-12 automobiles, parts, accessories and merchandise to customers around the world. DMC custom-manufactures cars to order, featuring parts or designs from the original DeLorean automobile, with updated engine and suspension technology. Please visit www.delorean.com or contact [email protected] with any questions.

ABOUT MATTEL, INC.

Mattel, Inc., (NASDAQ: MAT, www.mattel.com) is the worldwide leader in the design, manufacture and marketing of toys and family products. The Mattel family is comprised of such best-selling brands as Barbie®, the most popular fashion doll ever introduced, Hot Wheels®, Matchbox®, American Girl®, Radica® and TycoR/C®, as well as Fisher-Price® brands, including Little People®, Power Wheels® and a wide array of entertainment-inspired toy lines. In 2009, Mattel is recognized among the "100 Best Corporate Citizens," as one of the "World's Most Ethical Companies" and as one of FORTUNE Magazine’s "100 Best Companies to Work For." With worldwide headquarters in El Segundo, Calif., Mattel employs approximately 30,000 people in 43 countries and territories and sells products in more than 150 nations. Mattel's vision is to be the world's premier toy brands—today and tomorrow.

====================Press Release===============================

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol, I only have 8 so far, including the one I took out of the box that now sits on top of my comp monitor at home....

I will have to keep my eyes open for a gold one though (never know where these things end up).

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I heard i you cant a delorean to move without a white line in front of it...

·
Registered
365 Posts
...my dad also has a 81 delorean. so im aware of the story. after i get my supras running, the delorean is my next project. its been sitting in our carport for 17 years collecting dust with a bad transmission......damn automatics......
Cool.
When you move on to the DeLorean, there's quite a few DeLoreans in good running condition throughout Georgia, and even a regional club with knowledgeable and helpful owners. BTW: the transmission "computers" are now replaced with digital versions, that are much more reliable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts