Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya

I got the timing done on my car, but now once the engine is warmed up it idles so low (500rpm) that is shakes violently and sometimes stalls. I was just wondering what I need to do to adjust to idle so that it's back up to around 900rpm.

I have a 5M-E engine...but tell me what you do on your 5M-GE's anyway...where do I go?

Thanx heaps :)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
on the 5mge there is a screw on the top of the throttle body that you adjust. It sits in a channel that runs sideways (runs from back of engine towards front of engine) on top of the throttle body. There is a black rubber cap which covers it.

Christian

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok guys, now I'm confused... :(

Is it to do with the throttle cable thing...do I need to adjust the screw/bolt that the cable thing rests on? Is that it?

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I would try turning the idle speed screw underneath the rubber cap on the TB counterclockwise first and see if that speeds up the idle. The throttle plate stop screw adjustment on the TB is a rather fine and precise adjustment and sets the baseline for adjusting the TPS. Look for any vacuum leaks (cracked hoses, etc.) in the intake piping as well.
HTH!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just a quick question, What should the idle speed be? Because when I got my car smoged the guy turned it up. I forget what it is but what should it be? Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, for my engine it should be around 800 - 900rpm. Right now it's 400 - 500...and at that point it almost stalls. Anything over 1000 is probably too high.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
If you have a 5MGE, your engine should be idling somewhere around 650 to 700 rpm. That's where I keep mine set, and it seems very happy at that rpm setting. You have a 5M-E, and I honestly have no idea where it should be idling.

Typically mechanics and smog guys raise the idle (to where it's not supposed to be). I have no idea why they do this, because the manufacturer does not specify a 1000 rpm idle. And for a smog test, it's supposed to idle at Toyota specs.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update!

My friend lent me his Timing Light and all th extra gizmo's to check electronics etc...When I used the timing light I found out that my timing way set to 5 Degree's - Nice one mechanic...On the 5M-E it's supposed to be 16 BTDC...bit far off...no wonder it was stalling. Why don't mechanics do things right? There's a sticker on the bonnet which even tells you where it's supposed to be set...unbelievable!! :mad:

I found the Idle screw and adjusted it also...but whoa, was it hard to get to!

After that I kind of got carried away and checked the whole engine out for anything else...found out my Thermostat Housing was corroded - so I replaced that with a new one from Toyota...replaced a few hoses too...and since now a lot of parts were off the car, I thought, what the hell and I took off the Rocker Cover and now I'm sanding it and re-spraying...all the old paint had faded and it looked bad...

But yeah, thanx for the help everyone. :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
the 5m-ge is suppesed to have 10 deg BTDC and i set mine to 13. anyone tried advnacing the ignition timing to gain performance? and i didn't think the idle adjustment screw worked unless your isc valve was broken. no matter where i try to set my idle to the computer adjusts the isc valve and moves the idle to where it wants it. totally warmed up and either in drive or not it idles about 450. smooth as hell but still idles there. with the ac it idles about 900.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Idle on a 5M-E should also be around 700 - 800 rpms. Just like our 5MGE's. The Silver Slug also does idle a tiny bit lower than normal (500 - 600 rpms), but that's because it's an Automagic & that's the idle speed when it's in gear. Put it in neutral or park, then it's back to 800 again.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Per 86 TSRM p. FI-62 5mge idle is 650 RPM for Auto in
Neutral w. A/C off and 900 w A/C on. I find same for
my manual. Also, tach reading (maybe idle rpm too) is
very sensitive to Alt. voltage (lo volt --> low rpm reading).
maybe alt on way out.

Per toy tech articles, autoshop101, u can't adjust idle
by turning pot on tb since iscv will change opening
as posted earlier on this thread.

StanS

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
In some cases that is true, but the idle speed adjustment screw underneath the rubber cap on the 5M, 6M TB will raise or lower the curb idle speed w/o affecting the ISC valve.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
NiGHTS said:
Update!

My friend lent me his Timing Light and all th extra gizmo's to check electronics etc...When I used the timing light I found out that my timing way set to 5 Degree's - Nice one mechanic...On the 5M-E it's supposed to be 16 BTDC...bit far off...no wonder it was stalling. Why don't mechanics do things right? There's a sticker on the bonnet which even tells you where it's supposed to be set...unbelievable!! :mad:

I found the Idle screw and adjusted it also...but whoa, was it hard to get to!

After that I kind of got carried away and checked the whole engine out for anything else...found out my Thermostat Housing was corroded - so I replaced that with a new one from Toyota...replaced a few hoses too...and since now a lot of parts were off the car, I thought, what the hell and I took off the Rocker Cover and now I'm sanding it and re-spraying...all the old paint had faded and it looked bad...

But yeah, thanx for the help everyone. :)
Did you take out the vaccum hoses off the dizzy? if you didn't, i advise you retime your car with the hoses off... it's teh way you are meant to do it :oops:

I had the similar problem, but now is fixed

Cheers.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm, my distributor cap doesn't have any vacuum hoses going to it. It has a hole with a plug on it though...is that what you mean? Take the plug off?

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Yes, the 83-86 have the ESA (electronic spark advance) system where spark advance is controlled by the igniter-ECU interface.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
NiGHTS said:
Hmm, my distributor cap doesn't have any vacuum hoses going to it. It has a hole with a plug on it though...is that what you mean? Take the plug off?
Under the cap on the dizzy body there is 2 valves, they are the vaccum advance unit, disconnect the 2 hoses (and remember where they plug into) at the bottom of the dizzy and plug them up with golf tees. Then re-time the car.

Cheers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts